Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

41 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Germany keeps being mentioned but in reality, they are pretty much the same as the rest of Europe and the US when it comes to number of deaths. There is no magic formula and everyone is learning from each other. It’s not a competition.

their growth is slower than Italy France and Spain, similar to us, however they locked down earlier and have found 75K positive cases whilst we've found 30k, which should have a further slowing effect.

they've found more cases because they've tested more

They've tested more than us because they started earlier, taking the warnings from WHO before many other countries, and developed a test on 16th January - we rolled ours out on 10th Feb - that's the difference.

How it transpires is to be seen, i would guess that they'll grow slower than us for now and will have less deaths in the short term

Mike Ryan, the executive director of the WHO health emergency programme, an ex surgeaon and epidemiologist summed it up here - Perfection is the enemy of the good when it comes to emergency management. Speed trumps perfection … The greatest error is not to move. The greatest error is to be paralyzed by the fear of failure. If you need to be right before you move, you will never win.

Edited by peelyfeet

Guest Nordkurve
3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Rather guzzle my own spunk than watch that 

I have a loft full of Bwfc roadrunner videos 

I can understand the bit about watching the Roadrunner vids, but guzzling your own jizz as opposed to watching some hot 20 year old women running round in little costumes ? Are you mad ?

• Members
2 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

I can understand the bit about watching the Roadrunner vids, but guzzling your own jizz as opposed to watching some hot 20 year old women running round in little costumes ? Are you mad ?

Might be the secret behind his eternal youth

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Testing us isn’t going to stop deaths though is it? Not being facetious but it isn’t testing that is going to stop the deaths. 

Probably not in the short term, aside from those in the NHS self-isolating being able to go back to work, which could be significant in terms of saving lives. And stopping those who do have it but feel well from spreading it to their colleagues.

The whole thing is just going to get uglier and uglier, and even moreso if the government won't give straight answers to specific questions on things like testing and ventillators.

1 minute ago, Tombwfc said:

Probably not in the short term, aside from those in the NHS self-isolating being able to go back to work, which could be significant in terms of saving lives. And stopping those who do have it but feel well from spreading it to their colleagues.

The whole thing is just going to get uglier and uglier, and even moreso if the government won't give straight answers to specific questions on things like testing and ventillators.

And again I believe they have given straight answers. I’m not sure what more they can say. 

3 hours ago, dave2980 said:

Your "car" will be involved in a crime at some point in the not too distant future

Robbed fuel from 2 garages today according to the Police. On my way to Halfords to see if I can get replacements. Hopefully won't get pulled. I'm starving as well - not had any dinner yet! 🙂

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Robbed fuel from 2 garages today according to the Police. On my way to Halfords to see if I can get replacements. Hopefully won't get pulled. I'm starving as well - not had any dinner yet! 🙂

You need your log book mate in case you didn’t know 

Guest Nordkurve
12 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

There ain't many hot ones, Sharapova has retired, so that leaves 1 or 2.

That Canadian lass would have it....Beachuard ?

Can't say I know much about Womens Tennis, but I am sure there will be even 1 or 2 that would be worth watching as opposed to eating spunk.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If you don't get sorted, let me know if there's owt I can do to help. I can go and get em tmrw for you

13 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

And again I believe they have given straight answers. I’m not sure what more they can say. 

A few instances where I would say otherwise...

- Consistently talking of 'ramping up' testing to 25k and beyond (I think Boris spoke of 250k at one point). Then, weeks after failing to achieve 10k, say that we can't actually hit those numbers because there's a lack of materials (which was immediately brought under question by those responsible for producing them). Then brief today that Germany are testing way more than us because the WHO advice on testing doesn't apply to us or somesuch bollocks.

- Place large orders for ventillators without consulting existing manufacturers. Have Matt Hancock say on QT that we'll be signing up to the EU scheme. A week later say that we had no idea about the EU scheme because someone missed an email. Michael Gove said yesterday that the "start of" thousands of ventillators will be reaching the NHS next week. Not saying how many that actually is (anything above one would be "the start" of thousands).

Then previous nonsense like trying to claim they'd never suggested herd immunity as a strategy... having repeatedly suggested herd immunity as a strategy. Saying that the problems with PPE distribution had been solved when it still, very clearly hasn't.

I accept it's a tough job, and I think broadly they've done a better job to this point than they might have done (specifically when it comes to helping people financially). But, obfuscating and spinning key information at a time like this is massively unhelpful.