Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

14 minutes ago, Ani said:

Btw if we develop a vaccine that works by September that the Govt has a commercial interest in we could kiss goodbye to recession as that will be worth £bns arround the world. 

Assuming all testing is accepted by others mean it is fit to use. 

The euphoria and excitement of a virus breakthrough would surely help the economy and the stock markets, here’s hoping we find one quick and it does help stave off recession. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Everyone's after the same stuff, at the same time. Good luck to the EU, or anyone getting what is required. And then having suitable storage and distribution networks.

A proper shit storm at the moment that will surely make countries think a little differently once it's all over.

I won't proclaim to be an expert, but it seems to me that basic market forces would dictate it'd be better if there was a centralised, coordinated effort. This every man for himself approach just seems to be causing chaos, and is no doubt it driving up the prices too.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Ani said:

Btw if we develop a vaccine that works by September that the Govt has a commercial interest in we could kiss goodbye to recession as that will be worth £bns arround the world. 

Assuming all testing is accepted by others mean it is fit to use. 

I'd be concerned if we had something out there by September, as read previously that it takes at least a year to test and get vaccines into circulation

I know speed is of the essence so they could crack on, but I won't be taking it

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

I'd be concerned if we had something out there by September, as read previously that it takes at least a year to test and get vaccines into circulation

I’ve put much much worse shit into my bloodstream than any vaccine. I AM IN 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve put much much worse shit into my bloodstream than any vaccine. I AM IN 

My opinion is that the "after test" could be more important?

6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

My opinion is that the "after test" could be more important?

Depends how you look at it. If I have the “after test”’and haven’t had it I want a vaccine or I’m stuffed basically. So both are equally important. Plus I personally want a vaccine for those shielded/vulnerable ASAP 

17 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I wouldn’t imagine the likes of you and me would be even offered it.

It’d  go to the most vulnerable first I would have thought.

I reckon Dom thinks they’d be perfect to test it on before unleashing it on productive taxpayers 

40 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I am Legend (will Smith version) was on Sky last night. 

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Or, somebody else could beat us to it, and we have to spend a fortune to get it, plummeting us into a further and deeper recession 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I won't proclaim to be an expert, but it seems to me that basic market forces would dictate it'd be better if there was a centralised, coordinated effort. This every man for himself approach just seems to be causing chaos, and is no doubt it driving up the prices too.

Possible, though I think it would have to be world wide to be effective.

Would countries who have a big industry in these sectors be happy shipping out so much stuff that it might put their own needs in jeopardy- I'd use the example of Germany and it's large medical industry. Whilst the rest of the EU doesn't seem to be testing hugely, would they sacrifice some of their own capacity to send reagents etc all over the shop?

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Spider said:

I thought a vaccine needed a year of testing to ensure no side effects etc..?

If im 86 and i can avoid spending months and months cooped up, waiting to get it, i take my chances

And

If im offered it and its my ticket to get on with life with no restrictions, i am in

I don't think anybody remotely credible has suggested that a vaccine has any chance of being readily available inside a year. And that's the best case scenario, others who would know expect it to be even longer, as above.

So I'm not accused of being unduly negative, Hancock talked about making sure we were ready to mass produce one as soon as its available, which I think is A) a good thing and B ) about all we can do except wait.

But, knowing that the work is ongoing, I'd put talking about a vaccine pretty low down on the list of things which should be concerning us currently.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

See i think its quicker to sort out as loads of stuff is being focused on it.

For example everyone WFH etc means they can be around to discuss results more easily and ways forward. plus if they pay loads of folk to work on it then it can be worked 24/7.