Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think we that’s using the chassis as they put it of similar drugs and that work for similar illness. 

Possibly, I really don't know. I can only go off the conversations I've had with the guys on the ventilator project that I've been working on for the last 2 weeks, which should see several thousand ventilators produced in the next week or so....from design to a manufactured certified product in less than a month, and for eighteen times (yes, eighteen times) less in unit price than a certain vacuum cleaner manufacturer was quoting.

Anyway, the bloke I was speaking to said it can't possibly be rushed through, as the clinical trials have to take at least 6 months (and that's still massively rushing it) - apparently, when a drug was last rushed through, without the proper scrutiny, it caused all sorts of issues.....that drug was Thalidomide.

Maybe something will get rushed through, but these particular people, who do know what they're talking about reckon no way

Edited by Sweep

29 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I don't think anybody remotely credible has suggested that a vaccine has any chance of being readily available inside a year. And that's the best case scenario, others who would know expect it to be even longer, as above.

So I'm not accused of being unduly negative, Hancock talked about making sure we were ready to mass produce one as soon as its available, which I think is A) a good thing and B ) about all we can do except wait.

But, knowing that the work is ongoing, I'd put talking about a vaccine pretty low down on the list of things which should be concerning us currently.

There's already vaccines in trial, and many more coming on board in the next few weeks , 70ish - normal vaccine trials usually takes months to set up and monitor - not the case with this, they're doing it in weeks and on an uprecedented scale, it will be miles faster than normal. Normal vaccines then take ages to be mass produced - again wont be the case with this.

Vaccines trials are usually produced by big pharma where money is the incentive - not the case with this, it's mainly universities, they are sharing info freely - publishing papers that are getting peer reviewed really quickly.

The guy that Adam Parsons has quoted works for Roche - Roche aren't actively involved in any research concerning the production of a vaccine for covid so I'd take what he's said with a pinch of salt, better to listen to those who are involved.

I think there will be a vaccine earlier than expected - however the problem will be getting it out - we need billions of them. 

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Possibly, I really don't know. I can only go off the conversations I've had with the guys on the ventilator project that I've been working on for the last 2 weeks, which should see several thousand ventilators produced in the next week or so....from design to a manufactured certified product in less than a month, and for eighteen times (yes, eighteen times) less in unit price than a certain vacuum cleaner manufacturer was quoting.

Anyway, the bloke I was speaking to said it can't possibly be rushed through, as the clinical trials have to take at least 6 months (and that's still massively rushing it) - apparently, when a drug was last rushed through, without the proper scrutiny, it caused all sorts of issues.....that drug was Thalidomide.

Maybe something will get rushed through, but these particular people, who do know what they're talking about reckon no way

Part of why I think the after drug could be more relevant. If we can test widely and it’s mostly passed through the population, a vaccine might not be quite so important.

Just a view from someone who knows very little and didn’t get on with science at skoo.

25 minutes ago, Big E said:

See i think its quicker to sort out as loads of stuff is being focused on it.

For example everyone WFH etc means they can be around to discuss results more easily and ways forward. plus if they pay loads of folk to work on it then it can be worked 24/7. 

Do you really think people working from home will speed the release up by nearly 2 years ? 

29 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do you really think people working from home will speed the release up by nearly 2 years ? 

I do think that the fact they are doing nothing else and are likely to be pulled in will speed it up yes. 

I am only going off what i am witnessing in my work. 

You only need the right people round the table and this can be done when money is available and people are focussed on one thing. 

For example building the hospitals here hasn't taken long. No pandemic and doing those types of builds would take 18 months just to get the safety guy to look at it 

Finding a vaccine would be good but we have a flu vaccine available every winter but 17,000 people a year still die from flu in the U.K., 48,000 people die a year from Sepsis in the U.K. 

I’d be happier if the treatment for anyone who catches the more severe symptoms of Covid could be improved, at first people who ended up on a ventilator in IC only had a 50/50 chance of coming through 

Read today some story about blood clots in the lungs causing biggest problem not pneumonia, blood thinning required not ventilation? Anybody know

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

Vaccines trials are usually produced by big pharma where money is the incentive - not the case with this, it's mainly universities, they are sharing info freely - publishing papers that are getting peer reviewed really quickly.

I would disagree with you there. They come from big pharma, small pharm, biotech companies, universities, etc. Universities pull in a lot of money via research so money can be an incentive for them as well

I agree with you though that unis are where the quicker results will likely come from due to information sharing amongst academics 

Although Thalidomide is the classic quoted example of what can go wrong there are much more recent examples such as COX-2 Inhibitors and Trobalt where inadequate trials failed to pick up serious failings. Don’t expect anyone to rush anything through and risk dealing with the consequences

If only there was a section of society who feel as though the world we are moving into just won’t be worth living. With the Expected food and medicine shortages, inability to travel anywhere and economic ruin just around the corner. 

imagine if we had a list of these people that could trial the vaccine as they wouldn’t technically be losing anything if it went tits up? 

shame we don’t have that 

just a thought 

8 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Finding a vaccine would be good but we have a flu vaccine available every winter but 17,000 people a year still die from flu in the U.K., 48,000 people die a year from Sepsis in the U.K. 

I’d be happier if the treatment for anyone who catches the more severe symptoms of Covid could be improved, at first people who ended up on a ventilator in IC only had a 50/50 chance of coming through 

Read today some story about blood clots in the lungs causing biggest problem not pneumonia, blood thinning required not ventilation? Anybody know

Most patients will be on some kind of anticoagulant - usually Dalteparin. That's the injection you probably got in your stomach each day if you've ever been in hospital.

Intubated patients might also be on something more aggressive. The problem is that as you increase anticoagulant - you increase the risk of a bleed - so they're not suitable for everybody.

Interesting though!

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

If only there was a section of society who feel as though the world we are moving into just won’t be worth living. With the Expected food and medicine shortages, inability to travel anywhere and economic ruin just around the corner. 

imagine if we had a list of these people that could trial the vaccine as they wouldn’t technically be losing anything if it went tits up? 

shame we don’t have that 

just a thought 

Dom will have a list. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

I don't think anybody remotely credible has suggested that a vaccine has any chance of being readily available inside a year. And that's the best case scenario, others who would know expect it to be even longer, as above.

So I'm not accused of being unduly negative, Hancock talked about making sure we were ready to mass produce one as soon as its available, which I think is A) a good thing and B ) about all we can do except wait.

But, knowing that the work is ongoing, I'd put talking about a vaccine pretty low down on the list of things which should be concerning us currently.

Both American media outlets..

Let's be honest they will be pretty peeved that the UK has beaten them too it as they can't profit on the vaccine.. 

They'll be trying to #fakenews anything that makes them look inferior. 

Someone mentioned a boom from vaccine sales.. is that unethical, even if a lot of the money is reinvested in research and the NHS?

33 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Most patients will be on some kind of anticoagulant - usually Dalteparin. That's the injection you probably got in your stomach each day if you've ever been in hospital.

Intubated patients might also be on something more aggressive. The problem is that as you increase anticoagulant - you increase the risk of a bleed - so they're not suitable for everybody.

Interesting though!

Thanks for the info, looks like Trump’s miracle cure ‘Hydroxychloroquine’  was a false dawn, using blood from survivors looks promising 

No cure for ‘Aids’ but treatment now stops most people dying, think that’s the best we can hope for with Covid at the moment 

7 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Both American media outlets..

Let's be honest they will be pretty peeved that the UK has beaten them too it as they can't profit on the vaccine.. 

They'll be trying to #fakenews anything that makes them look inferior. 

Someone mentioned a boom from vaccine sales.. is that unethical, even if a lot of the money is reinvested in research and the NHS?

The lead researcher from Oxford indicated on Marr that some kind of universal scheme will be in place to make sure everyone has fair access to any successful vaccine. Which makes sense, and would obviously benefit us too if someone else comes up with one.

Chris Whitty just said that he's confident that a vaccine that works in concept will be found before the end of the year, but that the chances of one being widely available in that time are "incredibly small".

I thought that was a relatively informative briefing, compared to most other recent ones.

- We still don't have a reliable antibody test, even one that would be useable for the PHE study at Porton Down into how many people have had it.

- The minimum for any lockdown measures that are relaxed is that the rate of reproduction can't go above 1 for any period. To me, that suggests no normality until a vaccine or (more feasibly) a reliable method of controlling the disease can be found.

Just now, Wardrobe said:

Hancock calls briefing, says we've created world-saving vaccine...

BBC: Will you apologise for not creating it sooner?
ITV: Isn't it true that it contains dead kittens?
C4: Why didn't you join an EU vaccination scheme?
Sky: You said creating a vaccine would be difficult, do you now accept that you weren't telling the truth?
Buzzfeed: 37 reasons why the UK is still a shit country
Independent: Isn't it true that austerity stopped the vaccine being made sooner?
Guardian: Vaccines are racist

Have a plus one 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Wardrobe said:

Sky: You said creating a vaccine would be difficult, do you now accept that you weren't telling the truth?
Independent: Isn't it true that austerity stopped the vaccine being made sooner?

Bravo

2 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

The lead researcher from Oxford indicated on Marr that some kind of universal scheme will be in place to make sure everyone has fair access to any successful vaccine. Which makes sense, and would obviously benefit us too if someone else comes up with one.

Chris Whitty just said that he's confident that a vaccine that works in concept will be found before the end of the year, but that the chances of one being widely available in that time are "incredibly small".

I thought that was a relatively informative briefing, compared to most other recent ones.

- We still don't have a reliable antibody test, even one that would be useable for the PHE study at Porton Down into how many people have had it.

- The minimum for any lockdown measures that are relaxed is that the rate of reproduction can't go above 1 for any period. To me, that suggests no normality until a vaccine or (more feasibly) a reliable method of controlling the disease can be found.

Multiple countries think they are below 1 at the moment, Germany think they've gone from 0.7 up to 0.9 since they've lifted restrictions so we'll have to see how they pan out - definitely not going to be totally back to normal for donkeys, but i think we'll get some freedoms back soon  

3 minutes ago, Wardrobe said:

Effort!

4 minutes ago, Wardrobe said:

Wanderersways : let's debate it for several hours then look at some pictures of tits