Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

What percentage of the UK economy is dependent on a certain percentage of reception, yr 1, yr 6, yr 10, yr 12 pupils being in school ?

That's Yr 2, Yr 3, Yr 4, Yr 5, yr 7 , yr 8, yr 9, yr 11, yr 13 not going back in but the entire economy depends on the others to be in school.

I know of some primary schools in Bolton that have had 50% or less of parents saying they are going to send them in and I know of primary schools in Bolton who are planning on having cohorts of kids in every other week.

It's not the effect we want and it's a distraction.

It will affect some people and it will be critical for them, if we did an honest survey on here of people and their partners and whether school or after-school is critical for them and their partner going into work it would be interesting.

3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Doesn’t make it political

Union guy on t'radio, think it was Thurs, mentioned they was in 'conflict' with the government multiple times.

Each time, he sounded like he was nearer the vinegar strokes.

It's political, at the union level.

• Site Supporter

We need to go back to work.

i can’t be clearer.

In order to work, I - like millions of others - need my kids to be at school.

There is no suggestion my kids are at risk by being there.

The obstacle is teachers being safe. 

If a nation that invented fucking everything, and is still the 5th most powerful on the planet cannot overcome this obstacle, then we may as well just sit on our sofas until the taps run dry.

We are better than that. We are capable. Kick any cunt who disobeys the protocols right in the genitals and make an example of them if needs be.

Its doable.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

The obstacle is teachers being safe. 

If you think there's a chance the teachers aren't safe then the parents of every single child in school can't be safe either, and also anyone they are in contact with.

If you're worried kids can pass it to teachers then the kids can pass it to other kids and them to their families just as easily.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ErnestTurnip said:

If you think there's a chance the teachers aren't safe then the parents of every single child in school can't be safe either, and also anyone they are in contact with.

If you're worried kids can pass it to teachers then the kids can pass it to other kids and them to their families just as easily.

So everyone - EVERYONE - is aware of the risks.

We know that ppe and good hygiene works.

Lets not give up at the first hurdle.

3 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

You are, of courese, right.

Lets hope we have enough money to pay 80% of the nation 80% of their wages as furlough until its 'safe'

Which may be 2025.

General point this but I'm not trying to be a dick with the kids going back to school. I'll probably miss some here but I reckon I've got maybe 7 family members who work in schools and not one of them have mentioned not going back in regardless of unions and the like. That includes my mrs potentially infecting me and our kids who are not in the years who are going to go back in.

I'd just love the general public to have some actual figures about how the current policy of letting some % of a minority of kids back into school affects the working population getting back in and working.

My gut feeling is that we are going to have to let some of the adult population back into a working environment with other adults and some of them adults will get the virus and die. It's horrendous to think of but I really don't see how we get going without that happening, press or government or even people can dress it up otherwise but it's inevitable.

1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

The number of cases here compared to Germany is high yet they are still not prepared to open schools but you want to give it a go. 

So you're worried about us using science badly and being behind them but then choose your particular science results to ignore them and "give it a go" ?

It's not my science, it's the science of the Chief Scientist of the WHO that sending young kids back to school (in smaller classrooms, social distancing etc.) presents a very small risk when it comes to spreading the virus. It's the science of the Deputy CMO of this country that our number of cases will be significantly less in two weeks than it is now.

Put those two together, and I can see the argument for getting schools going again. I'm not wedded to it, and if scientific evidence is presented that says it's not safe I'll listen to that too.

It is a tough call. There can not be a massive risk to people or the R number otherwise Govt would not be considering it. 
BUT

The increased risk probably means more people get it and someone dies. If that is your family member how will you feel ? And the press have a field day. 

Everyone I know with kids of school age (not many) have said they won’t send kids back. 

All Governments have the same problem of balancing business as usual v "acceptable deaths". What passes as acceptable - or can be passed off as acceptable by bleating about how difficult a job it is - varies enormously. In liberal western countries like ours, the threshhold is lower and that has economic implications.

Governments that accept a high level of deaths e.g. Bolsonaro in Brazil will potentially lose support so that is another factor in Government's decision making. Add to that the race between nations to get back to work first in order to be able to take advantage of the situation and improve a country's relative position v other countries in the long run comes into play.

All countries will be affected economically so power is a matter or relative strength so I reckon as soon as a few countries bite the bullet and get folk back to work there will be a stampede to do the same worldwide so as not to lose relative economic strength.

Nobody will wait for a vaccine to be developed or for the virus to mutate into a less dangerous form (i.e. become a natural vaccine)

• Site Supporter

Daughter in yr 6 and weighing up the options, I’d rather her go in to primary for the last few weeks starting in June than go straight from this lockdown to Thornleigh in Sept , starting high school is daunting enough .

Basis of this are chances of her catching it , low - med  chancs of her being ill with it -low , chances of her catching it and passing it on to me , low to med, chances of it being passed on to grandparents or someone vulnerable very low -zero because she’ll go, come back and stay home, me, the Mrs and her brothers and sisters won’t go near grandparents or anyone vulnerable 

more about her state of mind starting secondary tbh , not too worried about the others at this stage due to thinking they can catch up next year ,but it has to start somewhere and it is purely a practical decision 

appreciate some won’t feel the same but that’s my risk assessment of the situation as it stands 

2 hours ago, Mr Grey said:

I know its not up to the kids, but i bet they are missing their mates and school. Actually mine isn't, 15 years old and is quite happy with her pyjama day routine, doing tik-toks and generally watching the same you tube video's on repeat, at least she is happy 😀

My 15 yr old can't wait to get back. The work they're setting her isn't challenging enough and she wants to get in and get her head down for her GCSEs next year.

She also has it in her head that the sooner the schools are back in, the sooner we can get back to watching the Wanderers.

9 minutes ago, Traf said:

My 15 yr old can't wait to get back. The work they're setting her isn't challenging enough and she wants to get in and get her head down for her GCSEs next year.

She also has it in her head that the sooner the schools are back in, the sooner we can get back to watching the Wanderers.

We all need something like this to focus on to keep us going. A goal or a return to doing something (other than getting down the pub).

7 hours ago, fatolive said:

Daughter in yr 6 and weighing up the options, I’d rather her go in to primary for the last few weeks starting in June than go straight from this lockdown to Thornleigh in Sept , starting high school is daunting enough .

Basis of this are chances of her catching it , low - med  chancs of her being ill with it -low , chances of her catching it and passing it on to me , low to med, chances of it being passed on to grandparents or someone vulnerable very low -zero because she’ll go, come back and stay home, me, the Mrs and her brothers and sisters won’t go near grandparents or anyone vulnerable 

more about her state of mind starting secondary tbh , not too worried about the others at this stage due to thinking they can catch up next year ,but it has to start somewhere and it is purely a practical decision 

appreciate some won’t feel the same but that’s my risk assessment of the situation as it stands 

That’s where I’m at 

my lad is moving to high school in September and like yourself consider the risks to be low. It’s a divided house though the Mrs isn’t for it but she’s very cautious anyway ( il have my work cut out trying to get her on holiday even if we get the green light)

first day back in the office today after a few weeks at home 

won't lie, it was a struggle getting up, ready and out of the door

glad to have some normality this week and still balls all on the roads

the first few weeks when all this kicked off, I was doing stupid hours, i think i preferred that