Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

They do give the full total for the country overall (todays is 680 odd), but at a local level they only include Pillar 1. So Leicester was down for having 40 cases a week when it actually had over 10x that.

No big deal generally, but it's fairly useless if it then takes 11 days to pass that data on to the local authorities. And then send an email at 1am to tell them you think you might shut their city down.

2 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I've had a cracking idea: wifi-enabled masks! I'm on a fucking winner here. No-one's thought of it before.

£100k for 10%, Deborah

And detects the virus and changes colour if you've got it, so people can run away or it sends a message to you via bluetooth through the ear strings to say "that fat cunt in the Blackburn 3rd strip (2016) over there to your left has got it". And it's got a USB and microphone built in for your hands free calls. And you can turn on track and trace by picking your nose. "Mask Alexa" I'm calling it. Fucking get in.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Joe Anderson didn't take it at face value, he made a decision that he felt was right.

Interesting that you've got some additional data there- if you can see it couldn't he?

Or at least approach the authorities?

Moreover, this just proves my point: the blame game is unhelpful, and irresponsible.

If people are wary of ridiculous amounts of scrutiny (often with bias or incorrect information) then there's a danger they will be reluctant to make decisions, or look to hide them if it transpires a better alternative was available.

Now is not the time.

Presumably the government withhold this data because they want to be the ones making these decisions? (And because it'd put a bit of a downer on the pubs opening)

Joe Anderson isn't an epidemiologist, neither is Peter Soulsby. It's in no-ones interests for them or anyone to be making decisions without having all the facts.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

They do give the full total for the country overall (todays is 680 odd), but at a local level they only include Pillar 1. So Leicester was down for having 40 cases a week when it actually had over 10x that.

No big deal generally, but it's fairly useless if it then takes 11 days to pass that data on to the local authorities. And then send an email at 1am to tell them you think you might shut their city down.

Cheers.

I'll stand down on my readiness to give Boris and chums both barrels.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Presumably the government withhold this data because they want to be the ones making these decisions? (And because it'd put a bit of a downer on the pubs opening)

Joe Anderson isn't an epidemiologist, neither is Peter Soulsby. It's in no-ones interests for them or anyone to be making decisions without having all the facts.

But they're happy to comment though?

They're in positions of responsibility too, and it's still in their remit to make decisions. Johnson isn't an epidemiologist either, but lots like you like to criticise and lay blame.

I choose not to and won't criticise the likes of Anderson one bit for his decision. Doesn't matter whether it turns out to be the right or wrong one- he acted in what he believed was the best interests of the people of his city.

Neither will I seek to lay blame at anyone for doing their best whatever their role is. No one is seeking to do bad things deliberately and shouldn't be pursued in such an accusatory manner.

No doubt mistakes have and will continue to be made, learning from them is vital and having headless chickens throwing daggers won't help.

If folk want to play the blame game, then perhaps research the suggestions that illegal 'sweat shops' didn't stop work during lockdown in the Leicester area. Potentially a very deliberate act contrary to the best interests of everyone and worthy of immediate sanction if proved correct.

7 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Strange phenomenon with excess deaths. Dropped below average for the UK now. However Scotland's figures are still higher than normal.

It's to be expected eventually. A lot of the Coronavirus victims would've been 'due' to die in any case over the next few months. So if the infection rate really does drop it would be reasonable to assume the mortality rate will go below the average. It's just not much of a result when you realise why...

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

It's to be expected eventually. A lot of the Coronavirus victims would've been 'due' to die in any case over the next few months. So if the infection rate really does drop it would be reasonable to assume the mortality rate will go below the average. It's just not much of a result when you realise why...

Aye, statistics an all that.

The other odd one, is that not all the excess deaths are being attributed to c-19. Around 54000 I think they said were, which leaves another 11000 or so non covid.

Non reported heart attacks, non treated cancer patients? Weird.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The other odd one, is that not all the excess deaths are being attributed to c-19. Around 54000 I think they said were, which leaves another 11000 or so non covid.

I remember one comment from an oncologist I think saying that they got x many new cancer detections a week and that had plummeted, same with heart issues. The inference was some would potentially be dying at home having not wanted to go the hospital until it was too late.

May take years to work out just what's gone on at the height of this

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

3 ways of measuring 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/coronavirus&link_location=live-reporting-story

US looks superfucked.

Fauci just said he thinks they'll possibly surpass 100k new recorded  cases a day soon. Going off their hostorical death rate that will be over 3k deaths a day a few weeks later. 

A few docs reiterating that Leicester like outbreaks likely to happen in other areas with high % BAME  and multi generational households %.  

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Tends to suggest that the true figure will never be known (accurately) which I would assume is reflected in nations all over the world.

Some of the big, less well developed places like India must have huge inaccuracies within their systems.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Tends to suggest that the true figure will never be known (accurately) which I would assume is reflected in nations all over the world.

Some of the big, less well developed places like India must have huge inaccuracies within their systems.

Pakistan supposed to be rife, I bet we are as accurate with our figures as anyone else

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Cultural differences?

Dunno

That might have made it more easily transmittable, but why now, in Leicester?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Dunno

As peely pointed out, may well happen in other places with lots of family groups with older people in. Perhaps since lockdown released slightly, these groups become more vulnerable- bit like Italy was at one stage.

If the story of illegal textile manufacturing going on is true, then spread could be rapid, like meat processing plants elsewhere.

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Dunno

Suggestion is, inbound flights from Pakistan has imported quite a few cases from pakistan and North India. East midlands airport is nearby, Leicester has a v high % of North Indian heritage population, many living in multi generation households. And it will be down to chance too. This is the suggestion. Might be a load of bollocks.

• Moderators

So, if we are 'playing it well' its only cos we didn't 'play it well' soon enough?

Yet more infected folks been allowed to enter unchecked?

Eldest is flying in to UK on Sunday and as it stands, she's supposed to not come in to contact with any of us for a fortnight

It won't happen and how its expected to happen in a 2 or 3 bed terrace with 10 folk living there, fcuk knows

36 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Looks like we are playing the Leicester outbtreak well.

What caused it?

A Tory MP in rural Leicestershire put it down to clothing sweatshops in the East of the city. They stayed open during lockdown to meet extra demand for clothes bought online. Put the blame on the mayor who comes accross as a bit of an arse.

1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

A Tory MP in rural Leicestershire put it down to clothing sweatshops in the East of the city. They stayed open during lockdown to meet extra demand for clothes bought online. Put the blame on the mayor who comes accross as a bit of an arse.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/30/some-leicester-factories-stayed-open-and-forced-staff-to-come-in?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1593551945