Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Not sure what NiC would make of Annie’s to be fair pal 😁 get him warmed up on nana plaza and the soi cowboy and onto Annie’s to finish off. Make a man of him that will 

gets me so sad thinking about this. But only 5 months til I shall be in Bangkok so not too long to wait 

Heard rumours of how they're trying to open up tourism and it doesn't make for good reading. Have you heard out? 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Heard rumours of how they're trying to open up tourism and it doesn't make for good reading. Have you heard out? 

I read the forums on trip advisor and it doesn’t sound pretty currently. 

im due to be in Bangkok and Phuket. Saying that all street food has gone and possibly not to return and a lot of small hotels aren’t reopening and are just to get sold off for development. Sounds like a car crash. I’m keen to get my money Spent over there 

Im sure it’s maybe @Mannyroader who lives over there isn’t it? Maybe he can add something as to what it’s like and how it’s goiNg to pan out. 

35 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

#KBF is the latest one off the production line of needing to be angry about something 

(Keep Britain Free...)

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

I'm serious. It's about 10 miles away from the camp I went to! Live to take you round Thailand!

Would love to go, just need to make sure I'm not redundant at the end of the month. R says its amazing, as have you, something for next year perhaps? Be good to have a trip 

38 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

im due to be in Bangkok and Phuket. Saying that all street food has gone and possibly not to return and a lot of small hotels aren’t reopening and are just to get sold off for development. Sounds like a car crash. I’m keen to get my money Spent over there 

Im sure it’s maybe @Mannyroader who lives over there isn’t it? Maybe he can add something as to what it’s like and how it’s goiNg to pan out. 

Thailand without street food and the small independent places would just feel weird Just can't see how they could manage it when so many Thai people rely on those type of places for their income? That's part of what gives it it's soul.

Mind you I saw Muay Thai has started again at Lumpinee and the fighters came out wearing face masks and kept them on for the Wai Kru. Can't tell whether it's a piss take or not but it looked genuine!

45 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No foreign tourists being allowed in since April. Some are being allowed in now for "medical tourism" subject to 14 day quarantine after treatment. People with work permits and family here will be allowed back too. Month by month more relaxation of restrictions will occur but it is all subject to countries having a low infection rate. Korea, Japan and China will be first in, guests from Western Europe, India, Russia and USA will have to wait. The hope is that by October/November things will be much improved.

Phuket specifically is going to be one of 5 islands in the South accepting tourists in "bubbles". Fly in, stay in a resort hotel, go home. No going outside the resort. It is baby steps for now. Bangkok is pretty good now for Thai tourists as it is bereft of the mass of tourists, most of whom would be Chinese.

Bars re-opened this week. In Pattaya some are OK, others less so. Some hotels are open; Hard Rock has 500 guests this weekend with the Govt subsidising room rates and domestic flights. Other hotels may never re-open but construction of new hotels continues. Two new builds near me, one 24 floors, one 26. Plenty of street food here in Pattaya, seems as much as there ever was.

If you ever need an update on how things are, please let me know. My brother wants to come early next year and my beloved better half has 2 businesses that rely on tourists, so I am keeping a close eye on things. The online version of the Bangkok Post is also a good source of info.

Edited by Mannyroader

3 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

No foreign tourists being allowed in since April. Some are being allowed in now for "medical tourism" subject to 14 day quarantine after treatment. People with work permits and family here will be allowed back too. Month by month more relaxation of restrictions will occur but it is all subject to countries having a low infection rate. Korea, Japan and China will be first in, guests from Western Europe, India, Russia and USA will have to wait. The hope is that by October/November things will be much improved.

Phuket specifically is going to be one of 5 islands in the South accepting tourists in "bubbles". Fly in, stay in a resort hotel, go home. No going outside the resort. It is baby steps for now. Bangkok is pretty good now for Thai tourists as it is bereft of the mass of tourists, most of whom would be Chinese.

Bars re-opened this week. In Pattaya some are OK, others less so. Some hotels are open; Hard Rock has 500 guests this weekend with the Govt subsidising room rates and domestic flights. Other hotels may never re-open but construction of new hotels continues. Twwso new builds near me, one 24 floors, one 26. Plenty of street food here in Pattaya, seems as much as there ever was.

If you ever need an update on how things are, please let me know. My brother wants to come early next year and my beloved better half has 2 businesses that rely on tourists, so I am keeping a close eye on things. The online version of the Bangkok Post is also a good source of info.

Yeah I read the Bangkok post 

thanks for that update much appreciated. If you could keep me posted pal that would be good as I’m due december but may well need to move it

15 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Over 100 again today.  Seems mad that this is now seen as normal. Nobody gives a fuck anymore. 

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s gone innit.

just lift everything, get the schools back early.

The non-teaching unions ain’t having it

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

If it’s only available to spend in certain places, it will only force prices up at those places.

We all know how capitalism works I assume?

Its an ok-ish idea, not sure they’ll do it.