Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

30 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Exactly!!! If a country’s rate is falling. How? Why? What can we learn? What do we need to do?

Then you’ve got those who go on Twitter to find stuff to post on here to try to politicise it. How have the above countries been measuring? How does it compare to the UK? Why are the 17 other countries at zero? What’s their reporting policy? Nah. Forget I asked. Copy and Paste attention seekers don’t do detail 

Worked then eh? 😀

31 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Masks to be compulsory in shops in England from 24th July.

Haha. Exactly.

Far East do it already. 

Advice from UK experts in March advising to follow

Adopted in most of Europe in April/May

WHO say it should be done in early June

We discuss it, then take a bit longer to get everyone on point,  leak it to the press, then say have to wait for 10 days until the legislation is in place.

Too slow.

Not blaming Tories, its the system / and for some reason it's  UK, US, and Brazil seemingly with mask issues, yet also top of the death charts. Is it coincidence or not?

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Haha. Exactly.

Far East do it already. 

We discuss it, then take a bit longer to get everyone on point,  leak it to the press, then say have to wait for 10 days until the legislation is in place.

Too slow.

Not blaming Tories, its the system / and for some reason it's  UK, US, and Brazil seemingly with mask issues, yet also top of the death charts. Is it coincidence or not?

I'd like to see a system that shows supermarket workers with a higher contraction rate than average, that might convince me to wear a mask in them.

6 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I'd like to see a system that shows supermarket workers with a higher contraction rate than average, that might convince me to wear a mask in them.

Its here https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/whichoccupationshavethehighestpotentialexposuretothecoronaviruscovid19/2020-05-11

Not very good data. Old and from US

10 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Haha. Exactly.

Far East do it already. 

Too slow.

Whilst I don’t disagree with you hindsight is an absolute marvellous gift 

In early March we really had no evidence as to how this virus was transmitted. Is it airborne? Is caught by touching door handles, etc and then touching your face? Like flu or the common cold 

As time went on we still had no hard evidence. I don’t have a problem with going with evidence rather than a knee-jerk reaction. Just because, for example, a European country went with face masks, was that the reason that their numbers fell? Or was it because of a better lockdown? Or different societal conditions?

Point I guess that I’m trying to make is that we need to stop focussing on single issues and look at the bigger picture 

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Serious question

Why the fuck compare our stats with other countries? Why?

Its patently obvious that every single country measures in a different way. There is no international standard being adhered to. Absolutely pointless comparison

Whether we have a flawed system or not surely we should focus on our numbers alone? It’s the trend we should be looking at in our own country. Fuck everyone else. Let them crack on. If our number goes up we need to worry. If it goes down let’s consider what to do. So long as we maintain consistency in our own reporting then we can make our own judgements

It's quite simple isn't it? To see what's worked and what hasn't.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Not convincing at all.

I'll wear one if I have to, but  reluctantly.

Where do you get them from?

Just now, MancWanderer said:

Whilst I don’t disagree with you hindsight is an absolute marvellous gift 

In early March we really had no evidence as to how this virus was transmitted. Is it airborne? Is caught by touching door handles, etc and then touching your face? Like flu or the common cold 

As time went on we still had no hard evidence. I don’t have a problem with going with evidence rather than a knee-jerk reaction. Just because, for example, a European country went with face masks, was that the reason that their numbers fell? Or was it because of a better lockdown? Or different societal conditions?

Point I guess that I’m trying to make is that we need to stop focussing on single issues and look at the bigger picture 

Who knows? It's pretty low risk and low cost to wear masks and whilst there  wasn't as much evidence for mask wearing a few months ago, there was enough for many governments to think it worthwhile, and not many good arguments against it. I just think its disappointing that we seem to have be behind the curve. Boris was shaking hands with covid patients in March, presumably on the advice that he'd been given. Seems bonkers now.

15 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Who knows? It's pretty low risk and low cost to wear masks and whilst there  wasn't as much evidence for mask wearing a few months ago, there was enough for many governments to think it worthwhile, and not many good arguments against it. I just think its disappointing that we seem to have be behind the curve. Boris was shaking hands with covid patients in March, presumably on the advice that he'd been given. Seems bonkers now.

Don’t get me wrong. I disagree with very little that you have to say. However, I don’t recall very much evidence back in the day that said that wearing masks would help. There were a lot of ifs and buts is all I’m saying. Some went with it. Some didn’t. Some thought about it. Looking back who is to criticise what countries did based on the evidence that they had at the time?

Roll the clock forward to the present day and we are much more informed 

I’ll focus on the now rather than the want might have been. I take a scientific approach much as I suspect you do and won’t fall out with you about the tinier details

12 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Haha is that your website. When do  the i-fanny and the i-browse launch?

Well in response to your i-fanny requirements I'm introducing the "Fog Off" mask.  Marketing slogan: "this makes no fogging sense!". 

Not sussed out how it works yet though. Probably involves industrial strength desiccant and superglue...

32 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Erm. Read the rest of my post?

That we should just focus on our own numbers? How would we know what's a 'good' number and what's a 'bad' one?

Wearing masks, social distancing, test and trace... we're not inventing these things. And they're not coming from Florida or Brazil.

7 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

This is the only UK breakdown of deaths via occupation that I'm aware of:

Because of the higher number of deaths among men, 17 specific occupations were found to have raised rates of death involving COVID-19, some of which included: taxi drivers and chauffeurs (65.3 deaths per 100,000; 134 deaths); bus and coach drivers (44.2 deaths per 100,000; 53 deaths); chefs (56.8 deaths per 100,000; 49 deaths); and sales and retail assistants (34.2 deaths per 100,000; 43 deaths).