Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

My mate's been screened for cancer and started treatment during all of this so they obviously haven't knocked it all on the head.

We had a different delivery driver to normal the other day and his take on things was that we've paid people 80% of their wages to sit on their arses so that 80% of the NHS can sit on theirs, I didn't get into it any further than that with him so can't share more of his deep wisdom.

Had a walk after work around Rivi. Now sat with a glass of white and listening to the cricket in The Rivington overlooking Horrobin Lane. 
Watching the traffic negotiate the narrow road with cars parked on one side of the road. The council have put yellow lines every so often to allow cars to pull in and allow cars to pass.There is no one controlling the flow but everyone seems to be using common sense and it works.

If everyone could use that same common sense with Covid wIthout trying to find loopholes in the advice/regulations, we could get through this.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

I think we should be looking more along the lines of protecting the economy and jobs as the priority

Get schools fully open in September no matter what Covid is doing. Allow all businesses to open up again 

The NHS has had time to build up capacity of beds and ventilators if / when a second spike comes 

Shield the at risk groups of course, but the majority of people should be allowed to crack on for the sake of the economy 

I simply don’t think it’s worth carrying on like this for 18 months to 2 years 

No, me neither

What you're suggesting sounds good on paper

But I honestly don't think we, or any country, will go head first back in to carry on

There'll inevitably be a spike, but the question is, when there is one, why do places like Florida, Spain, North West go back into lockdown?

As long as it's here and free to roam, there needs to be a better collective response to surpressing it

I don't think it's a question of lives v economy anymore

It's how can we best surpress it whilst carrying on as best we can

This is it, for now, regional partial lockdowns, and it needs everyone on board 

If we go back in head first now, it'll be worse than before, and that'll push us back even further, IMO

3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

If it’s like this until 2021 / 2022 then your talking deep economic depression 

What for, to save the NHS? Not for me thanks 

I know save the NHS was the strapline, but it's not really save the NHS, it's preserving the capacity to help the person who has a surviveable car crash, or a heart attack, or falls off a ladder. Lose that and think of the impact on the economy when a fall becomes a death sentence. If people are dying in corridors or sports halls, do you think the shops and pubs will still be buzzing? If hospital workers succumb to fatigue or illness, who will replace them?

Most of the 'let it burn through' crowd changed their tune after Italy and once the antibody tests showed a relatively low number of people had had it. Letting this run through, in wintertime alongside seasonal flu, well that could make what we just went through pale in comparison. 

They need to find a happy medium. If pubs have to close so schools can open so be it. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I know save the NHS was the strapline, but it's not really save the NHS, it's preserving the capacity to help the person who has a surviveable car crash, or a heart attack, or falls off a ladder. Lose that and think of the impact on the economy when a fall becomes a death sentence. If people are dying in corridors or sports halls, do you think the shops and pubs will still be buzzing? If hospital workers succumb to fatigue or illness, who will replace them?

Most of the 'let it burn through' crowd changed their tune after Italy and once the antibody tests showed a relatively low number of people had had it. Letting this run through, in wintertime alongside seasonal flu, well that could make what we just went through pale in comparison. 

They need to find a happy medium. If pubs have to close so schools can open so be it. 

Aye

Id sacrifice the pub for getting schools open for as long as it takes.

Which is a sign of how badly we need this gone.

Edited by Spider

23 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

Not sure I agree, In the region of Italy that got hammered they believe that around 50% of the population have had it...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-italy-antibodies/over-half-of-people-tested-in-italys-bergamo-have-covid-19-antibodies-idUKKBN23F2K1

The health service there came close to collapse but didn’t 

With that in mind, another 6 months to prepare (extra beds, extra staff, PPE, better treatments) and we should be able to cope better than Lombardy did. We should be in a position to cope with day to day health services and increased Covid cases. I get what your saying about Winter flu, but then again I think we should all be vaccinated against that in order to help the NHS capacity this Winter 

I’m not saying fully go back to normal just yet, working from home and face masks are here to stay (among other things). These measures alone will reduce the R number and spread any spike over a longer period of time vs what they witnessed in Lombardy 

You just can’t keep businesses shut beyond Autumn for me 

• Site Supporter

"Sorry Grandma, I know you're worried, but the FTSE 100 index is more important than you and Grandad. On the bright side, at least we'll be able to have a proper party after your joint funeral. I know we've all banged on about your generations' 'Blitz-spirit' and that for the last few years, but I want a week in Benidorm next month."

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

"Sorry Grandma, the FTSE 100 index is more important than you and Grandad. On the bright side, at least we'll be able to have a proper party after your joint funeral. I know we've all banged on about your generation's 'Blitz-spirit' and that for the last few years, but I want a week in Benidorm next month."

Mine are long gone

When the apocalypse comes, I’m one of those who just picks up the kids and fucking legs it I’m afraid.

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

"Sorry Grandma, I know you're worried, but the FTSE 100 index is more important than you and Grandad. On the bright side, at least we'll be able to have a proper party after your joint funeral. I know we've all banged on about your generations' 'Blitz-spirit' and that for the last few years, but I want a week in Benidorm next month."

Not sure if that was aimed at me but I’ve been quite clear that the at risk groups should be shielding / self isolating while the rest of the population returns to relatively normal life 

That alone would help the NHS get through any peak, given those groups make up the largest proportion of patients who require ICU 

You mock about the FTSE 100, but let’s be honest it goes beyond that, we’re talking hundreds of thousands of business negatively impacted by this. They employ millions of people and generate billions in tax revenue. This isn’t just about protecting a few big companies. The livelihoods of huge chunk of the working population are at stake 

Edited by birch-chorley

My missus listens to a call with our local MP apparently infection rate is 25% of national average at the moment. How long before we have local relaxation of rules ? 

Went in bookies today asked if you need to wear a mask. Woman said ‘ you should but we are not enforcing it, so I would not bother. Another bloke hearing this removed his mask. I left. Won’t be going back. 

2 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

Had a walk after work around Rivi. Now sat with a glass of white and listening to the cricket in The Rivington overlooking Horrobin Lane. 
Watching the traffic negotiate the narrow road with cars parked on one side of the road. The council have put yellow lines every so often to allow cars to pull in and allow cars to pass.There is no one controlling the flow but everyone seems to be using common sense and it works.

If everyone could use that same common sense with Covid wIthout trying to find loopholes in the advice/regulations, we could get through this.

Think that last bit about sums it up... Be amazing where we would be if everyone took it seriously. Not to have a dig at those who've had to occasionally bend the rules for family issues or mental health etc...

Walked past the Flat Earth society in Inverness last week. Usually we just have a laugh at them but with all their Covid conspiracy posters I felt like bricking the windows. Imagine loosing a loved one to Covid & seeing that. 

Sounds like a nice afternoon in Rivington - enjoy 👍

Edited by London Wanderer

4 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I think we should be looking more along the lines of protecting the economy and jobs as the priority

Get schools fully open in September no matter what Covid is doing. Allow all businesses to open up again 

The NHS has had time to build up capacity of beds and ventilators if / when a second spike comes 

Shield the at risk groups of course, but the majority of people should be allowed to crack on for the sake of the economy 

I simply don’t think it’s worth carrying on like this for 18 months to 2 years 

Theres talk that the trade off for opening schools, is shutting pubs.

According to the scientists at least.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

Sounds a good plan to me.

23 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Think that last bit about sums it up... Be amazing where we would be if everyone took it seriously. Not to have a dig at those who've had to occasionally bend the rules for family issues or mental health etc...

Walked past the Flat Earth society in Inverness last week. Usually we just have a laugh at them but with all their Covid conspiracy posters I felt like bricking the windows. Imagine loosing a loved one to Covid & seeing that. 

Sounds like a nice afternoon in Rivington - enjoy 👍

I don’t have a problem with those that have bent the rules this weekend after probably months of planning, whatever the occasion.
Always a good day up Rivi. 👍

8 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Aye, schools are an absolute must, you can’t expect to keep them shut and get people working 

How long will you keep pubs shut though, are they ok if they serve food, what about restaurants etc? 

Furlough ends in October, Business rate relief ends in March. you can’t keep businesses shut without paying towards it. Beyond what’s already been committed I don’t think we should be going any further (Furlough, rates relief, VAT etc). 

1 hour ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Pubs employ thousands of people. Pubs buy beer and other stuff from suppliers who employ thousands of people. Pubs pay rates, corporation tax, rent etc.
It’s a business like any other. 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Pubs employ thousands of people. Pubs buy beer and other stuff from suppliers who employ thousands of people. Pubs pay rates, corporation tax, rent etc.
It’s a business like any other. 

Trade off going to be necessary at some point, unfortunately. I suppose the risk is if too many are at home as kids aren't in school, then they'll have no money for the pub anyway. 

Whatever they decide, schools aren't going back fully anyway as things stand.