Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Sweep said:

No, I've given 6 pints so far, and they've taken me off the register for the time being, apparently to do with it being quite a large needle, and they don't want to fuck my veins up (especially as they collapsed in my last two visits)  -  I'm on "standby" now apparently, although I'm not entirely sure what that means

Given that resistance is supposed to drop after 3 months or so, you would expect that your plasma would contain fewer and fewer antibodies as time goes on, so I'm surprised they have a standby list.

54 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We are finding out more and more about the virus everyday. There's going to be conclusions drawn by various experts and some of them are going to be wrong, that's the nature of science. At the moment, almost unanimously, the advisors to the governments of the world do not think that this is over. There is no evidence to show that if we went back to normal life, a % of the old and vulnerable who haven't caught the disease yet, would somehow survive it, or not get seriously ill. For anyone who says we just need to protect the old and let everyone else go about their business, it's not that easy, the old live with , work with , or are cared for by other people, we can't just move them all to Anglesey for a year. 

I’m convinced it takes more exposure to contract it than people say. 

• Moderators
Just now, gonzo said:

While I dont think I've been reckless and I only really leave the house to go to supermarkets, barring about half a dozen trips to quiet well ordered pubs and friends, I tend to agree

I prob average 4 supermarkets a week, I dont use sanitiser and only bothered with masks since I had to

Theres something we are missing, I think, in who catches this

Anyway, daughters fella and her are getting tested today, so maybe its getting closer

50 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I guess we also don't know the long term effect it'll have on people who recover. I'm still fucked 3 months later, it's got worse the last couple of weeks for some reason, and I'm really fatigued all the time. I hope I manage to sort myself out before winter comes, as I have a feeling I might be a bit grim if I caught the flu (which by the way, I've never yet had)

My friend is exactly the same, he had the virus right at the start of lockdown caught, he thinks, by being in charge of personally delivering home working stuff to all of his colleagues across manc. Still got no strength in his joints at all and needing steroid injections, permanently feeling knackered. Hes only 37 as well.

24 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Given that resistance is supposed to drop after 3 months or so, you would expect that your plasma would contain fewer and fewer antibodies as time goes on, so I'm surprised they have a standby list.

I was advised that I was still showing a "high load" (again, not sure exactly what that means) when I was last there which was 23rd July.....and that was from my previous donation from 8th July, which was just over three months from when I had it. Obviously I don't know the detail if the it was much lower than my very first donation, but it was still high enough on 8th July (more than 3 months after the event) for them to want me to back on 23rd July.

I suppose different people will react in different ways and will have different levels of antibody for different periods of time.....which is all part of the problem. Anyway, I feel like I've done my bit, and fingers crossed that it means permanent immunity (apparently there are still no cases of people catching it twice)

26 minutes ago, gonzo said:

They don't know what the main form of transmission is yet, breathing in droplets or aerosol, or by touch, or through the eyes. Some think it's fecal particles,  some think severity is down to viral load, others think it's down to the immune system of the host, some think those whov'e had recent colds have partial immunity   some think its lack of vit D and zinc, others think HCQ works if given early, others think it has no effect. Some think masks are effective, otners not at all. Minefield. Probably a bit of everything is true.

14 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

They don't know what the main form of transmission is yet, breathing in droplets or aerosol, or by touch, or through the eyes. Some think it's fecal particles,  some think severity is down to viral load, others think it's down to the immune system of the host, some think those whov'e had recent colds have partial immunity   some think its lack of vit D and zinc, others think HCQ works if given early, others think it has no effect. Some think masks are effective, otners not at all. Minefield. Probably a bit of everything is true.

You missed Mount's thinks its just Mon flu. 

1 minute ago, Spider said:

If cases are still rising but deaths aren't, is there a possibility the virus is losing its potency?

Or that shielding the super vulnerable has worked to some extent

Edited by jmjhb

• Moderators
Just now, Spider said:

If cases are still rising but deaths aren't, is there a possibility the virus is losing its potency?

Possibly

Alternatively

Lots of the most vulnerable have gone

The ones getting it are those that arent vulnerable

Cases arent rising, its just that testing is available

Im sure theres plenty more

• Site Supporter

One thing I'm pretty sure of

Schools can open

Few would argue that this virus is overwhelmingly effective when it gets into someone who is already into their later years and whose body has been around the block a few times. Younger folk either kill it before it gets through or have the elixir of youth to stop it doing any damage.

Teachers just need to be careful, PPE, hand washing etc...

Schools can be controlled environments.

• Moderators

daughters new school (primary in Bolton) are expecting to go back full time

Few changes inc limiting mixing between year groups and no 'play time'

2 kids per table...think it was 4

Theyre all ready to go and parents, mainly - well to do - asians, very supportive

We just had our first ‘eat out to help out’ lunch. 

The pub has an offer so sandwiches are half price anyway so a £10 BLT was £2.50. Still not sure if was good value ! Just over £30 for 4 of us, only me drinking. 

2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

We are finding out more and more about the virus everyday. There's going to be conclusions drawn by various experts and some of them are going to be wrong, that's the nature of science. At the moment, almost unanimously, the advisors to the governments of the world do not think that this is over. There is no evidence to show that if we went back to normal life, a % of the old and vulnerable who haven't caught the disease yet, would somehow survive it, or not get seriously ill. For anyone who says we just need to protect the old and let everyone else go about their business, it's not that easy, the old live with , work with , or are cared for by other people, we can't just move them all to Anglesey for a year. 

In the other corner you have an economy staring down the abyss 

The number of friends I have who have been put on notice of redundancy these past few weeks is frightening, all of which are well paid professionals. Most of them have been employed 10 years + so will get reasonable redundancy but it won’t last long and the jobs market doesn’t look very appealing. No housing benefit for house owners either, soon be squeaky bum time! 

Limited scope for the government to extend furlough, VAT cuts and Business rates relief deep into 2021 

It’s not as easy as just shutting down large swathes of the economy until we have a vaccine (could be years away) 

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Spider said:

Teachers just need to be careful, PPE, hand washing etc...

Not possible, 

Been told that masks are not advised, and you can't just nip to wash your hands when you're in charge of 30 teenagers. 

Going to be interesting when they re-open. It's impossible to comprehend the amount of planning it takes to safely look after 1500 teenagers in a school environment. 

15 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Not possible, 

Been told that masks are not advised, and you can't just nip to wash your hands when you're in charge of 30 teenagers. 

Going to be interesting when they re-open. It's impossible to comprehend the amount of planning it takes to safely look after 1500 teenagers in a school environment. 

You don't need to go and wash your hands. 

All you need is sanitiser. Everyone does it on the way in to class, everyone on the way out. Teacher has one on his own desk.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Not possible, 

A logistical nightmare, you could say

But then theyve had months and months

• Site Supporter
Just now, only1swanny said:

Not possible, 

Not impossible, but certainly challenging.

we all have to do our bit here, it’s a war of sorts.

Sanitise hands, wear masks. One way systems.

By the time September rolls round they’ll have had 6 months to prepare.

Obviously apart from the 6 week summer break.....

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

In the other corner you have an economy staring down the abyss 

The number of friends I have who have been put on notice of redundancy these past few weeks is frightening, all of which are well paid professionals. Most of them have been employed 10 years + so will get reasonable redundancy but it won’t last long and the jobs market doesn’t look very appealing. No housing benefit for house owners either, soon be squeaky bum time! 

Limited scope for the government to extend furlough, VAT cuts and Business rates relief deep into 2021 

It’s not as easy as just shutting down large swathes of the economy until we have a vaccine (could be years away) 

Economy would still have been fooked to an extent even if we'd done a New Zealand or a Sweden. NZ having to pump $50 billion into their economy despite containing the virus , Swedish business with international supply chain are suffering, and their economy isn't expected to fare any better than other Nordics (all with vastly less deaths) Very tricky to balance. Going to be worldwide this slump. On the whole, think I'd much rather be in NZ at the moment, no restrictions, proper quarantine rules for international visitors, hardly any deaths.