Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

32 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Asked before; have we allowed ourselves to be conned?

I think history will show lockdowns to be a mistake

Do you think the infection rate has dropped  in Bolton over the last few days, because of the additional restrictions or by chance? 

Edited by peelyfeet

12 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Do you think the infection rate has dropped  in Bolton over the last few days, because of the additional restrictions or by chance? 

And why have other local areas risen; despite or because of the restrictions, or by chance?

Bolton? I don’t know. And I expect that it isn’t provable. 

22 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

And why have other local areas risen; despite or because of the restrictions, or by chance?

Bolton? I don’t know. And I expect that it isn’t provable. 

There's coerrelation between restriction imposition and drops in infection all over the world. If you think they don't work, you're gonna have a very long frustrating winter I think.

Edited by peelyfeet

29 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

There's coerrelation between restriction imposition and drops in infection all over the world. If you think they don't work, you're gonna have a very long frustrating winter I think.

I’ll get by, I expect.

My concern is for my country.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Another packed weekend over this way. Youd think hotel and pub staff would be riddled with the amount of visitors from all over week on week

When the infection rate is low, like it is now (estimated 20k out of 67 million or 3 in every 10,000 people, with a fair chunk of those  isolating) you are going to be unlucky to catch it. 

The concern is exponential growth happening again in multiple places at the same time. Theyre scared of it because it takes a while to see it  and a few weeks to get rid of it. 

I still think it will happen  but to a lower extent than in Spring, and with much less deaths.

32 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I’ll get by, I expect.

My concern is for my country.

Do you think you'll change your mind about restrictions at any stage, or is it made up already? 

I'm open to change mine, If it's proven they are needless I'll be glad. I havent seen any proof that they are needless from anywhere that I regard as reliable and scientific.

Edited by peelyfeet

8 hours ago, boltondiver said:

South Korea were the pin up nation, but Seoul is running out of hospital beds.

So, you are right; need to wait for a place and time which will give us a wider view

That'd be weird, considering it's a fake virus. Maybe they should have a lockdown?

Believing that the media gets things wrong, sensationalises and outright lies occasionally is all well and good.

Believing that it's a hive mind with shared evil intentions, or that getting your news from YouTube and Facebook will get you the 'real' truth... makes you a fruitcake.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

How’s the little un getting on @Spider

She’s ok ta. Having an extra night in hospital so the staff have something to do 😁

A gangrenous appendix hasn’t been much fun, and I’m no longer allowed to speak to the doctors after asking if they could slip me some spare propafol.

22 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

I’ll continue to use the term MSM. No one has come up with anything better. If that upsets some people, well tough titty.👍

Doesn’t upset me. Just when I’m thinking of folk you’re over there*

* Waves in general direction of moonmen, mentalists and window lickers. 

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

She’s ok ta. Having an extra night in hospital so the staff have something to do 😁

A gangrenous appendix hasn’t been much fun, and I’m no longer allowed to speak to the doctors after asking if they could slip me some spare propafol.

Glad to hear she’s ok and on the mend. She’s had a lucky escape there can be really bad I believe but sounds like got her sorted in the nick of time. 

and it’s saved you sitting at home bored for a day or two 😁 so it’s a win win 

36 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Not quite sure how using a term to describe the major media institutions in the UK as a collective, can cause so much annoyance to folk. 

to me they are main stream and they are the media. 

Just call them the media. Job done. Owt else is the preserve of lunatics. 

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Just call them the media. Job done. Owt else is the preserve of lunatics. 

It’s not though is it.

its like referring to the big banks as mainstream banks or mainstream banking/lenders.  It’s a common term along with challenger banks, secondary lenders etc. it just separates different parts of a sector. Not sure what the issue with it is. 

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s not though is it.

its like referring to the big banks as mainstream banks or mainstream banking/lenders.  It’s a common term along with challenger banks, secondary lenders etc. it just separates different parts of a sector. Not sure what the issue with it is. 

Nah. Not in this case. The term MSM  is used by the likes of Tommy Robinson, David Icke and other nutters. The implication is that they are feeding us shite, and us the ‘sheeple’ are soaking it up, whereas only them, the enlightened, know about lizard people. Nutters. Just say media. 

Edited by mickbrown

11 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

If the cases go up a lot in the next few weeks, (which I'm 99.99% sure they will,  with a fifth of the population about to suddenly increase their exposure levels to some extent), the comparative level of rise in deaths is going to be down to how well the vulnerable in hospitals, care homes and the community are protected. Tracking and tracing and better hosputal treatment will help, but I fear it's going to be several weeks of "outbreak at school X" in the media 

You're on point with the protecting the vulnerable comment. I've been saying for the last few weeks that we should put some concerted effort into protecting those who are vulnerable and then everybody else get back to behaving as normal as they are comfortable with and be treated if infected, if the vulnerable are shielded effectively the numbers of infected with serious complications shouldn't be overwhelming.

The alternative, if an effective vaccine or treatment isn't found soon, is mass unemployment, cuts in services, tax rises and probably a long lasting depression.

On the evidence available to me I prefer the alternative in the first paragraph, am I missing something?