Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Why on earth would Labour want to inherit this shitshow ? It's the Tories baby, let them carry on.

To be fair, they’re very vocal in their opposition to what the Tories  are doing. I’m sure they wouldn’t be if they didn’t consider their own response would work better. And if they did have a genius master plan, wouldn’t they share their ideas for the good of the country?

Lets face it, they’re thanking their lucky stars they lost the last GE and that this isn’t their shit storm to deal with.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Where did I say he had turned one down? 

i was merely giving an opinion on what I believed would happen , in the highly unlikely event one was called. 

but then we had a labour supporter advising that they are happy for the government to lead the country forward into what they believe will be ruin, simply so that labour have a better chance of winning the next election? And yet you pick me up (incorrectly) on what I said? Strange that eh 

No, I'm just pointing out that you're calling the Opposition 'inept' for doing something you 'believe' they might do in a highly unlikely theoretical situation. What a Labour supporter said is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

No, I'm just pointing out that you're calling the Opposition 'inept' for doing something you 'believe' they might do in a highly unlikely theoretical situation. What a Labour supporter said is irrelevant.

I was calling them inept in response to the statement that they were happy to be sitting by and watching effectively.  As you correctly point out a GE isn’t going to be offered.

But it’s odd to see their supporters just see this as a passage to GE win in 4 years time rather than having faith that their preferred party could do a better job currently? Wouldn’t you expect them to be clamouring for them to be in charge now to make things better now? 

• Site Supporter

Keep the schools open

Let people work

shut the pubs and restaurants, make people stay home.

Its shit but all they can really do now is minimise numbers, because that’s their best option.

Life needs to carry on but everyone needs to be realistic and realise that we live in a different world.

If we can sustain a few thousand cases a day and less than 100 deaths until the vaccine shows up, I’d say that’s a good result.

Its dull as fuck and the hospitality industry will need propping up, selective furlough, but there really aren’t any other options.

Just now, Spider said:

Keep the schools open

Let people work

shut the pubs and restaurants, make people stay home.

Its shit but all they can really do now is minimise numbers, because that’s their best option.

Life needs to carry on but everyone needs to be realistic and realise that we live in a different world.

If we can sustain a few thousand cases a day and less than 100 deaths until the vaccine shows up, I’d say that’s a good result.

Its dull as fuck and the hospitality industry will need propping up, selective furlough, but there really aren’t any other options.

Pubs won’t be shutting imo. Just curfews/shortened hours. Which achieves fuck all really. 

guess we will find out tomorrow in all likelihood though 

I think you lads are all way off message here, i was listening to Emma Barnett on 5 live today when they cut to Chris Witty giving us an update on covid with predictions of increased numbers being infected and then more deaths about the middle of next month.

He was talking about 50,000 cases a day with 200+ deaths a day

Her next guest was Harriet Harman , when asked to comment on this her biggest fear of the covid outbreak is the disproportionately amount of fines given to young black men and those from our BAME communities for not playing by the rules.

Its as if Labour are saying its ok not to play by the rules

Conversely it would help if Boris and his cronies stopped telling lies and just admitted when asked about anything that they just dont know instead of making wild claims

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I was calling them inept in response to the statement that they were happy to be sitting by and watching effectively.  As you correctly point out a GE isn’t going to be offered.

But it’s odd to see their supporters just see this as a passage to GE win in 4 years time rather than having faith that their preferred party could do a better job currently? Wouldn’t you expect them to be clamouring for them to be in charge now to make things better now? 

Yes, I would, and I disagree with anyone who is happy to sit back and watch the country burn so they can oust the current (or any) Government in several years time. Unfortunately, until the next General Election there's nothing else any Opposition can do apart from try to hold them to account (as it would be if any other party won a massive majority).

In an ideal world we'd have a collaborative effort when it comes to major issues like the Covid-19 response and Brexit, but our political system is not set up that way.

Edited by Cheese

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yes, I would, and I disagree with anyone who is happy to sit back and watch the country burn so they can oust the current (or any) Government in several years time. Unfortunately, until the next General Election there's nothing else any Opposition can do apart from try to hold them to account (as it would be if any other party won a massive majority).

In an ideal world we'd have a collaborative effort when it comes to major issues like the Covid-19 response and Brexit, but our political system is not set up that way.

I would agree at times like this our system, and in particular the way devolution works, just makes a mockery of us as a united country (use the term United for descriptive purposes only). 

Surely though if you were sat as leader of the opposition you would be offering solutions and changes rather than just trying to point score and demand apologies repeatedly? I just find it odd. I like starmer but I think he is missing an opportunity to actually try and add some value. Surely it would make boris look even worse , if that is possible, if solutions were offered and just dismissed repeatedly? But to offer nothing just makes me question the substance of the man  

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree at times like this our system, and in particular the way devolution works, just makes a mockery of us as a united country (use the term United for descriptive purposes only). 

Surely though if you were sat as leader of the opposition you would be offering solutions and changes rather than just trying to point score and demand apologies repeatedly? I just find it odd. I like starmer but I think he is missing an opportunity to actually try and add some value. Surely it would make boris look even worse , if that is possible, if solutions were offered and just dismissed repeatedly? But to offer nothing just makes me question the substance of the man  

Again, that's down to the failings of our political system. It's nobody elses job to provide assistance to a majority Government other than the advisors the Government chooses, and no majority Goverment would accept and implement advice from an Opposition party because that would massively undermine them. The system is fucked. Starmer probably doesn't have any good Covid-related ideas anyway. I don't think anyone does.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Are they thick?

Right pubs are shutting early, right well we best get in early then and sink as much ale as possible before booting out time.

A hour two hours top is gonna do the square root of fuck all

Think the idea is that statistically that's when the beer kicks in and inhibitions drop towards the end of the night. Helps with social distancing 

God today has wound me up something special. I’d have sympathy for people who are worried that a second lockdown would affect medical treatment, their ability to earn a living and put food on the table or to be able to look after their elderly parents. In reality, most people I hear moaning are worried they might not be able to celebrate Cheryl’s 37th birthday. Or might not be able to go to Pollensa at half term. Or simply won’t be able to go out on the piss every Friday like normal. The selfishness people are displaying leaves me completely empty 

6 hours ago, Ani said:

Does anyone on here think this is something we should just ignore and let it work it’s way through ? 

I do think that they need to go one way or another

this half way house is just extending misery without getting us closer to any kind of end point IMO

10pm curfew is clever; just throws the  folk That will break it into house parties / gatherings. Also means that those in hospitality that spent thousands to make their places safe within the guidelines suffer further despite “doing the right thing”.

This is an interesting thread

58 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I do think that they need to go one way or another

this half way house is just extending misery without getting us closer to any kind of end point IMO

10pm curfew is clever; just throws the  folk That will break it into house parties / gatherings. Also means that those in hospitality that spent thousands to make their places safe within the guidelines suffer further despite “doing the right thing”.

This is an interesting thread

I’m no expert but this graph and the presentation from Whitty and vallance confirm my suspicions that the presentation was well over the top and paints an unnecessarily negative picture.  

The current sanctions I generally agree with, further U.K. wide lockdowns I don’t agree with, if they want to use draconian measures make them localised. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter

Some of the figures they gave yesterday seem to contradict themselves (but @peelyfeet can probably set me straight)

they say only 8% of the population have had it, yet said 100k infections were probably happening daily during the peak. Let’s say that’s 50 days at the peak, that’s 5 million people. Add in another few million either side of the peak and that’s way more than 8%

Does smack of fearmongering, which isn’t their job.