Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

5 minutes ago, bromers said:

Not ignore per se but we need to be getting back to normal life now. Whatever happened to 2-3 weeks to slow the spread and protect the NHS? 

The indirect effects of these draconian measures will far outweigh any effects from a relatively harmless virus. 

Deterioration of the country’s mental health, suicides up, millions of missed cancer screenings, child abuse increasing, domestic abuse increasing, alcohol abuse increasing, drug abuse increasing, millions unemployed, industries decimated, national debt increased but tax revenues down, terrible psychological impact on children seeing everyone walking around in masks and hearing there’s a deadly virus circulating, not to mention the fact they’ve missed months of education. 

I could go on. The list is almost endless.

Sweden got it right and can now start returning to normality. The rest of us got it horrendously wrong.

This. 👍

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, bromers said:

Not ignore per se but we need to be getting back to normal life now. Whatever happened to 2-3 weeks to slow the spread and protect the NHS? 

The indirect effects of these draconian measures will far outweigh any effects from a relatively harmless virus. 

Deterioration of the country’s mental health, suicides up, millions of missed cancer screenings, child abuse increasing, domestic abuse increasing, alcohol abuse increasing, drug abuse increasing, millions unemployed, industries decimated, national debt increased but tax revenues down, terrible psychological impact on children seeing everyone walking around in masks and hearing there’s a deadly virus circulating, not to mention the fact they’ve missed months of education. 

Sweden got it right and can now start returning to normality. The rest of us got it horrendously wrong.

Second sentence says everything. 

24 minutes ago, bromers said:

Sweden covered above. 

I am confused by your response. What are you saying we do ? With infections rising rapidly. You say not ignore it so what actions ? 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Suppression isn’t working too well, we need to look at other scientists.

Carl Heneghan seems to have clarity.

Alternatively, it may have worked very well. What would the place looked like had we done little?

No one really knows, but we could all hazard a guess.

I noted a South African policy early doors in all this: a ban of alcohol sales- how about that over here! A nuclear option :)

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Some of the figures they gave yesterday seem to contradict themselves (but @peelyfeet can probably set me straight)

they say only 8% of the population have had it, yet said 100k infections were probably happening daily during the peak. Let’s say that’s 50 days at the peak, that’s 5 million people. Add in another few million either side of the peak and that’s way more than 8%

Does smack of fearmongering, which isn’t their job.

100k infections was the peak, the numbers a few weeks before were miles lower because of exponential growth, the numbers a few weeks after lockdown dropped off a cliff. 

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Suppression isn’t working too well, we need to look at other scientists.

Carl Heneghan seems to have clarity.

Carl Henegan said this 5 days ago

He said in Parliament's Science and Technology Committee: '[The] question is what impact is it having?

'For instance I looked at Bolton NHS Trust and saw that there were two patients with Covid in hospital there right now

'So I think that's where you start to provide context as opposed to just throwing the [infection rate] number. 

'And I think we do need to have now more data that allows people to put the information in context as opposed to just seeing a number, think it's rising and then panic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8744625/How-locked-Bolton-TWO-Covid-19-patients-hospital.html 

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

Carl Henegan said this 5 days ago

He said in Parliament's Science and Technology Committee: '[The] question is what impact is it having?

'For instance I looked at Bolton NHS Trust and saw that there were two patients with Covid in hospital there right now

'So I think that's where you start to provide context as opposed to just throwing the [infection rate] number. 

'And I think we do need to have now more data that allows people to put the information in context as opposed to just seeing a number, think it's rising and then panic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8744625/How-locked-Bolton-TWO-Covid-19-patients-hospital.html 

He also sorted out the numbers for the Government in the summer

7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

He also sorted out the numbers for the Government in the summer

Do you think he was accurate in his assesment of Bolton's hospitalisation numbers in relation to infection rates last week?

I don't - the point he was trying to make was that hospitalisations in Bolton werent following the trend of rising infection cases,  yet he used the hospitalistion data from 3rd september, which would refelect the infection rate from mid August, when the infection rate in Bolton was about 21 per 100,000 - bit shit that I think.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Do you think he was accurate in his assesment of Bolton's hospitalisation numbers in relation to infection rates last week?

I don't - the point he was trying to make was that hospitalisations in Bolton werent following the trend of rising infection cases,  yet he used the hospitalistion data from 3rd september, which would refelect the infection rate from mid August, when the infection rate in Bolton was about 21 per 100,000 - bit shit that I think.

The news article is well aware that the data wasn't accurate, hence the wording in the first few lines. 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Not allowing for the lag then?

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not allowing for the lag then?

Not allowing for the lag and using 15 day old data - so bascially a month out of date, whilst arguing that we need to provide data that shows a proper context - very very misleading. 

You've got Whitty and Valance doing their best to look at current trends in the UK, comparing that to trends in France and Spain to try and work out what's going to happen here, with some people saying that they're scare mongering, (they said 50k is not a prediction of what will happen - they said if numbers double week on week, as they may do without further restrictions, we could be there in mid October), and other folk saying we need to lock down more.

They can't win.   

Edited by peelyfeet

1 hour ago, bromers said:

Sweden aint returning to normailty, theyre going to continue their current restrctions and hope they can whack-a-mole out breaks with tracking and tracing.

watch from 11min 44 seconds in below  

"This pandemic is far from over" 

"We may be a few weeks behind the curve"

27 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Not allowing for the lag and using 15 day old data - so bascially a month out of date, whilst arguing that we need to provide data that shows a proper context - very very misleading. 

You've got Whitty and Valance doing their best to look at current trends in the UK, comparing that to trends in France and Spain to try and work out what's going to happen here, with some people saying that they're scare mongering, (they said 50k is not a prediction of what will happen - they said if numbers double week on week, as they may do without further restrictions, we could be there in mid October), and other folk saying we need to lock down more.

They can't win.   

If we follow Spain and France we won’t double every 7 days, that graph they showed was a disgrace,  Witty and Valance look to me like project fear.

Piss poor that Boris let them lose on national tv spouting figures that look highly unlikely to ever happen.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If we follow Spain and France we won’t double every 7 days, that graph they showed was a disgrace,  Witty and Valance look to me like project fear.

Piss poor that Boris let them lose on national tv spouting figures that look highly unlikely to ever happen.

They did say it wasn't a prediction, it was a simple worse case scenario if we did nothing and current trends continue.

4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Another Project Fear ? 

How many cases did Spain report yesterday ?