Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Anyone can splash out your kids money!

Or we can all accept a little increase to pay for it here and there. For a while to help out.

One unnamed mp quoted as saying he's glad the budget has been cancelled as he then won't have to vote against tax rises.

I'm wholly unimpressed with the opposition, but by the fuck, in these exceptional times, Steve Baker's words last night made absolute sense for me. "Its time for pragmatism not ideology "

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Or we can all accept a little increase to pay for it here and there. For a while to help out.

One unnamed mp quoted as saying he's glad the budget has been cancelled as he then won't have to vote against tax rises.

I'm wholly unimpressed with the opposition, but by the fuck, in these exceptional times, Steve Baker's words last night made absolute sense for me. "Its time for pragmatism not ideology "

A While? You lad and his sprogs will still be paying this back

2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

in a nutshell, what's happening? - is Furlough back?

nope  6month scheme starting 1st Nov - some employees from some businesses (not defined yet) will be able to work a minimum of  1 third of their normal hours in return for 77% of their wage - 22% of which will be paid for by the govmt - there will probably be a cap I guess.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

A While? You lad and his sprogs will still be paying this back

Of course. But what other option is there. We all wanted testing expanding etc etc.

Rightly so, but in benefiting directly or indirectly from such unique investment, folk have to accept that somewhere down the line it will have to be paid for.

Kids' schools will be spending shit loads on sanitizer etc, which they are benefiting from in schools staying open.

Rushi has a huge balancing act on his hands, and all this bollcks about him doing stuff earlier (when no one knew where we'd be) or even more now just illustrates how difficult it is. 

If it all helps keep the deaths down and the economy ticking along then so be it.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course. But what other option is there. We all wanted testing expanding etc etc.

Rightly so, but in benefiting directly or indirectly from such unique investment, folk have to accept that somewhere down the line it will have to be paid for.

Kids' schools will be spending shit loads on sanitizer etc, which they are benefiting from in schools staying open.

Rushi has a huge balancing act on his hands, and all this bollcks about him doing stuff earlier (when no one knew where we'd be) or even more now just illustrates how difficult it is. 

If it all helps keep the deaths down and the economy ticking along then so be it.

Anyway according to labour it’s too late this support. Another government failure apparently 🥱🥱😴😴😴😴

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Anyway according to labour it’s too late this support. Another government failure apparently 🥱🥱😴😴😴😴

Totally. If the rise in cases hadn't happened so severely, many would still be doing OK.

Dodds saying redundancies already- but thats with 6 weeks or so still to go of furlough. As tough as it is, government cannot continuously fund jobs that effectively aren't required.

Had they done so, I'd have agreed that its an unreasonable burden on future generations, but accept a degree of it.

• Site Supporter

I don't think it'll stop a bloodbath in November, by the way.

That has been inevitable from day 1. But hopefully this might just give more people a better chance.

All depends on how unscrupulous most employers will be. Plenty won't sacrifice their cushy lifestyles for the sake of a few employees. But plenty will.

All snowflakes. I like many on here have been laid off in the past when orders, work was short. Did we get paid no,we budgeted and got through it. We never got help. I got used to it put extra hours before and after and the country was not left broke for years to come

1 minute ago, masi 51 said:

All snowflakes. I like many on here have been laid off in the past when orders, work was short. Did we get paid no,we budgeted and got through it. We never got help. I got used to it put extra hours before and after and the country was not left broke for years to come

I can understand the sentiment, but I think it's a matter of scale. In this instance, if it's thought that the sheer number of redundancies will lead to an unprecedented level of unemployment then it's a much bigger problem for the country.

4 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

It's a bit different this mate. 

We have been at 10% unemployment rates and 15% interest rates in recent history but we got through it.

No job cuts or  unemployment is good or nice ,been there got the tee shirt,but you survive and get through it

I cannot see how the kids of today will not end up working until there mid 70s. 

Edited by masi 51

3 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

We have been at 10% unemployment rates and 15% interest rates in recent history but we got through it.

No job cuts or  unemployment is good or nice ,been there got the tee shirt,but you survive and get through it

I cannot see how the kids of today will not end up working until there mid 70s. 

Unemployed folk still have to be paid for. This scheme is designed to keep some of businesses alive so that when we bounce back, hopefully in spring, there's more jobs to go back to, than there would be if the businesses had closed.

They have just blown billions on the furlough scheme. Admitting that they have propped up people to stay in work for a few months more.

November will see a tsunami of job losses. They have just moved it down the line six months.

No easy solution but the brutal truth is the Economy is going to be fucked for years to come.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

They have just blown billions on the furlough scheme. Admitting that they have propped up people to stay in work for a few months more.

November will see a tsunami of job losses. They have just moved it down the line six months.

No easy solution but the brutal truth is the Economy is going to be fucked for years to come.

That's the judgement the chancellor has to make.

No assistance and the economy crumbles big time and too much risks not yielding enough return.

46 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

Did you lick t'road clean wi' tongue?

5 minutes ago, masi 51 said:

True, but I think the idea is the economy will bounce back better if as many UK employers as possible are still around when Covid goes. It costs £ and wastes assets to close businesses and you need capital and time to start new businesses up. Imagine if half the clubs in Lg1 and Lg2 went bust, sold the stadiums, players and training grounds off on the cheap, how long would it take them to all get back to the same size? The clubs that would replace them aren't as big initially, they'd take time and capital to grow.

56 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Totally. If the rise in cases hadn't happened so severely, many would still be doing OK.

Dodds saying redundancies already- but thats with 6 weeks or so still to go of furlough. As tough as it is, government cannot continuously fund jobs that effectively aren't required.

Had they done so, I'd have agreed that its an unreasonable burden on future generations, but accept a degree of it.

It is too late though. Why have a blanket furlough knowing folk where going to be made redundant, basically paying to kick the problem down the road rather than the clever hardest hit sector support we've seen in other countries? 

Effectively required? There are thousands upon thousands of people who can't work through no fault of their own and are now jobless. Once things are back to normal their skills will be required. My Mrs is now redundant, there is no work. Over 20 years moving around, taking hardships to progress careers and that's it - its not as though these sectors are surplus to requirements, they just can't open at the moment. I've been really lucky and I've had to take a 10 grand drop for a 12 month cover. 

This has been poorly handled from the off from the health service to jobs. What a fucking shower we have, and some folk still swallow this garbage like good little proles. 

If you're not angry, you should be.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

It is too late though. Why have a blanket furlough knowing folk where going to be made redundant, basically paying to kick the problem down the road rather than the clever hardest hit sector support we've seen in other countries? 

Effectively required? There are thousands upon thousands of people who can't work through no fault of their own and are now jobless. Once things are back to normal their skills will be required. My Mrs is now redundant, there is no work. Over 20 years moving around, taking hardships to progress careers and that's it - its not as though these sectors are surplus to requirements, they just can't open at the moment. I've been really lucky and I've had to take a 10 grand drop for a 12 month cover. 

This has been poorly handled from the off from the health service to jobs. What a fucking shower we have, and some folk still swallow this garbage like good little proles. 

If you're not angry, you should be.

People are only going to be angry if it impacts them You know that mate