Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

13 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

People are only going to be angry if it impacts them You know that mate  

I do get that - I'm just worried people think they are protected and they aren't going to be. Anyway, its all quite emotional at the moment, other half in tears this morning and finding it really tough going, I'm trying do a full time job and get a start up going at the same time as 12 months is nothing (plus old company are being twats at the moment - think about when local chicken shops called themselves Nandoes and get the lawyers on them...) And I'm in a decent place compared to hundreds I know. Linkedin reading like a job centre, people not getting work and it's just not their fault. Grim. Really grim.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I do get that - I'm just worried people think they are protected and they aren't going to be. Anyway, its all quite emotional at the moment, other half in tears this morning and finding it really tough going, I'm trying do a full time job and get a start up going at the same time as 12 months is nothing (plus old company are being twats at the moment - think about when local chicken shops called themselves Nandoes and get the lawyers on them...) And I'm in a decent place compared to hundreds I know. Linkedin reading like a job centre, people not getting work and it's just not their fault. Grim. Really grim.

Yep it’s incredibly grim and going to get worse. Some people predicted this and warned those sat in the garden giving it big licks (not you) that they were enjoying the sun etc being paid by the government that this day was around the corner and here it is and it’s a long dark road ahead now. 

29 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yep it’s incredibly grim and going to get worse. Some people predicted this and warned those sat in the garden giving it big licks (not you) that they were enjoying the sun etc being paid by the government that this day was around the corner and here it is and it’s a long dark road ahead now. 

This summer was the worst. Tried to focus on the good bits (more time with the kids, not dashing around, saving money on commuting, the landlady cutting our rent by half and not asking for anything back.....) but when you are billing nothing into Q4 and well into Q2 for projections for 2021 (which was finger in the air, best guess anyway) you know the writing was on the wall which is why even when I was working I was re-doing my CV, getting three covering letter templates written up and generally trying to be as pro-active as possible. Some thought we'd be back in the office and working by september - to be honest I was holding onto that for spring work but it was clear what was going to happen. No government owes anyone a living for doing nothing, I just wish there had been more thought into how different areas of the economy will get back on their feet, if not right at the start then certainly quicker than this.

The the whole £1,000 for every worker that returns. If a worker returns, the employer can afford to pay them a wage, does £1,000 really make a huge amount of difference? 

As I say, I'm lucky at the moment - but that also has taken a fuck load of hard work over the summer and now even more. I'd say I'm working harder, for less, than I was last year. I don't want to be doom and gloom, but I fear the next six months will make the summer look like a cake walk.

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

All snowflakes. I like many on here have been laid off in the past when orders, work was short. Did we get paid no,we budgeted and got through it. We never got help. I got used to it put extra hours before and after and the country was not left broke for years to come

1 hour ago, masi 51 said:

We have been at 10% unemployment rates and 15% interest rates in recent history but we got through it.

No job cuts or  unemployment is good or nice ,been there got the tee shirt,but you survive and get through it

I cannot see how the kids of today will not end up working until there mid 70s. 

I can't help but read these in an Uncle Albert type "During the War type" voice

For what it's worth, I think what we're looking at, moving forward economically will be like nothing we've seen since just after WWII. It's not going to be pleasant this winter, with a mixture of jobs being lost and folk being ill......and couple that with no chance of a vaccine being rolled out to the masses for another 9-12 months, we might not even be half way through this yet. There's a cheery thought 🙂

As for "I cannot see how kids of today will not end up working until their mid 70s" - we're already on that track anyway, even without all this extra debt. Somebody who is 40 years old now, already has to work until they're 68 before they can claim state pension, so I'd guess it was already planned to up that over the next few years anyway....now they've got the perfect excuse to push it up 

• Site Supporter

I, also, have been lucky in that I work in an industry that has actually benefitted from people being at home and still getting most of their wage.

Instead of going on holiday, people have upgraded their houses (everything from heating systems, bathrooms, decorating, roofing, gardens etc..)

The contrast between me and Traf, for example, could not be more stark. And it's really shit and we all want things back to normal.

Masi's statement about just "dealing with it" is ill-informed dogshit at best. Clearly someone who has a pot of money earned over a lifetime of graft and a serious case of smugness. Well done and thanks for your input.

It is my profound hope that  industries like mine that have been pretty bouyant can help out by paying taxes, employing people and staying strong and be of some benefit to those who are struggling until equilibrium returns and we can get back to normal.

Being a smug, war-obssessed popinjay doesn't help. At all.

13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

looks like a few people were way out with their predictions from this CV sweepstake in March

still reckon I'll be the closest:

My prediction of May 2021 is still looking reasonable, although I suspect we might in reality need to stick another year on to that, and push it out to May 2022

37 minutes ago, Sweep said:

harsh but fair. I'd definitely have him down as a retired person, as it doesn't seem like a post from somebody still in the workspace, with a mortgage.

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

I, also, have been lucky in that I work in an industry that has actually benefitted from people being at home and still getting most of their wage.

Instead of going on holiday, people have upgraded their houses (everything from heating systems, bathrooms, decorating, roofing, gardens etc..)

The contrast between me and Traf, for example, could not be more stark. And it's really shit and we all want things back to normal.

Masi's statement about just "dealing with it" is ill-informed dogshit at best. Clearly someone who has a pot of money earned over a lifetime of graft and a serious case of smugness. Well done and thanks for your input.

It is my profound hope that  industries like mine that have been pretty bouyant can help out by paying taxes, employing people and staying strong and be of some benefit to those who are struggling until equilibrium returns and we can get back to normal.

Being a smug, war-obssessed popinjay doesn't help. At all.

you are so far off the truth...Certainly no pot of money....A lifetime of graft,but interupted with redundancy

Just giving my view which is we could have rode this out without fucking the Economy up. 3m people have not had a penny yet most will get through it.

Edited by masi 51

• Site Supporter

I had a lovely big poo, blew my nose and then went to the fridge to sniff some stilton I have in the cheese drawer.

It's faint, but there's some smell there so maybe the Longbranch bourbon I was drinking last night has burnt all my tastebuds or something.

Edited by Spider

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

I had a lovely big poo, blew my nose and then went to the fridge to sniff some stilton I have in the cheese drawer.

It's faint, but there's some smell there so maybe the Longbranch bourbon I was drinking last night has burnt all my tastebuds or something.

The cheese drawer. Fuck me, who designed your fridge, Daniel Levy?

Edited by peelyfeet

1 minute ago, Spider said:

You've got to get cheese right.

Otherwise, we're going through all this for nothing.

Do you have a specific cheese drawer in your fridge? Maybe I'm a heathen. My cheese shares space with tomato puree, garlic dip, 2 ripples, a garlic clove, half a lemon and some bay leaves. Maybe I need to change my cheese strategy 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

Do you have a specific cheese drawer in your fridge? Maybe I'm a heathen. My cheese shares space with tomato puree, garlic dip, 2 ripples, a garlic clove, half a lemon and some bay leaves. Maybe I need to change my cheese strategy 

I do.

It stems from a marital dispute a few years ago when I left a chunk of Shropshire Blue behind some jars at the back of the fridge for a few weeks longer than I should have. By the time I realised it was there it could only be identified by a trained botanist.

After that, I was allowed a cheese only section.

I love cheese, me.

9 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We have a special cheese section in our fridge - nothing but cheese is allowed in it. The other week I pulled out a lump of what I think used to be Feta, fucking hell, it stunk worse then Big E's belly button.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

It is too late though. Why have a blanket furlough knowing folk where going to be made redundant, basically paying to kick the problem down the road rather than the clever hardest hit sector support we've seen in other countries? 

Effectively required? There are thousands upon thousands of people who can't work through no fault of their own and are now jobless. Once things are back to normal their skills will be required. My Mrs is now redundant, there is no work. Over 20 years moving around, taking hardships to progress careers and that's it - its not as though these sectors are surplus to requirements, they just can't open at the moment. I've been really lucky and I've had to take a 10 grand drop for a 12 month cover. 

This has been poorly handled from the off from the health service to jobs. What a fucking shower we have, and some folk still swallow this garbage like good little proles. 

If you're not angry, you should be.

More horse dump.

Not every job can be saved, whether they'd like to or not.

Offering more self righteous, patronising comments doesnt make you right.

Absolutely no need to be angry whatsoever.