Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

19 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Well known Bolton lad,  His daughter has recently had it. She’s put on social media that she struggled to breathe with it and said she has no idea how any smoker survives it it’s that bad. Definitely starting to gather momentum this.

It might just be more awareness but I know quite a few more with it this time than previous. 

33 minutes ago, L/H White said:

read a belter tonight, the goverment are orchestrating a no deal brexit, and want people off the streets, thats why the numbers are going up. jesus christ

There's definitely some crackers going about at the minute. 

I've just read that Bolton are being held in further lock down restrictions than the rest of the country as there are too many "awoken people that know the truth" and the government don't like it. 😂

8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Sunak is getting right on my tits, he's a polite public speaker but as a leader of a first world economy, he's sadly wanting. Still, he won't get a rough ride in the media. His best friend is editor of the Spectator, his wife is a leading editorial journalist. Yet we still suck it up. 

Not a critique of Sunak per se but the Spectator is however critical of the govts handling of all this 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-true-cost-of-coronavirus-on-our-economy

4 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Interesting article

Peely won’t like it I’m sure but it’s from a politically neutral publication 

https://unherd.com/thepost/whitty-vallance-are-playing-a-dangerous-game/

Jules all at article does is question could the rate of increase be measured differently. 
The cases seem to have accelerated last few days. Over 6000 in each of last 2 days. The 7 day average is under 5000. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Sunak is getting right on my tits, he's a polite public speaker but as a leader of a first world economy, he's sadly wanting. Still, he won't get a rough ride in the media. His best friend is editor of the Spectator, his wife is a leading editorial journalist. Yet we still suck it up. 

I only just found out he's worth around £200,000,000! Bit of an eye-opener.

15 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Interesting article

Peely won’t like it I’m sure but it’s from a politically neutral publication 

https://unherd.com/thepost/whitty-vallance-are-playing-a-dangerous-game/

What he doesn't say is that if the rate is indeed only doubling every 7 days, you get to 49k two and a bit weeks after 10k.  

22 minutes ago, Ani said:

Jules all at article does is question could the rate of increase be measured differently. 
The cases seem to have accelerated last few days. Over 6000 in each of last 2 days. The 7 day average is under 5000. 

What it does is illustrate how data can be “twisted” of not used consistently 

I think it makes an interesting point on this completely independently of the acceleration of cases

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Had my daughter at home all week as a kid in her nursery tested positive, shut the place for 14 days, just nonsense really, place will barely be open all Winter 

Still paying a grand a month like 

About 500 kids out atm from work. 

From about 25% are accessing work online..

That's the issue, the kids aren't doing the work they should be doing, and so schools HAVE to stay open. 

Kids are resilliant and aside from the masks, you'd never know there was a virus going round. Absolute credit how adaptable kids are. 

That said, most don't give a shite about social distancing :(

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

What it does is illustrate how data can be “twisted” of not used consistently 

I think it makes an interesting point on this completely independently of the acceleration of cases

The unherd guy doesn't know why whitty and vallance presented the data as they did. He's  guessing and making links to one other slide, when they will have used multiple barometers. 

His extrapolation to 13th October as being 7k doesn't look so accurate agsinst today's 6.6k.

Here's another article from unherd rubbishing that one from lockdownlunatics the other day

https://unherd.com/2020/09/do-we-need-a-second-lockdown/

Which journalist to believe? 

My advice - if they ain't a reputable scientist publishing an accepted paper in a  reputable medical journal, which is then peer reviewed. It might be a load of old bollocks. 

Edited by peelyfeet

7 minutes ago, wiggy said:

France reporting its record daily increase in positive cases - 16,000. But more worryingly they now have over 1,000 people in intensive care. And some were telling us we shouldn’t be worried about following their trajectory. 

About 30-40% in the ICU were dying a few months ago, 60% a few months before that. Lots of survivors have long term health issues. Hopefully its a bit lower now. 

Edited by peelyfeet

6 hours ago, gonzo said:

"It's just flu"

"It'll never happen here"

"Those people would've died anyway"

"It's over now, time to move on"

"Those are all false positives"

No matter what happens, these people will always come out with some new strand of shit, despite having been wrong over and over and over again on this.

There were 268 people admitted to hospital with COVID on Tuesday. It was 38 in mid-August. The last time it was any higher was in June.

1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

"It's just flu"

"It'll never happen here"

"Those people would've died anyway"

"It's over now, time to move on"

"Those are all false positives"

No matter what happens, these people will always come out with some new strand of shit, despite having been wrong over and over and over again on this.

There were 268 people admitted to hospital with COVID on Tuesday. It was 38 in mid-August. The last time it was any higher was in June.

bbbbbut you're counting them all wrong.

It's not going up anywhere near as fast as last time.

They're not real infections. 

Scaremongering. 

Smash head against wall

It doesn't matter.

If the rate of hospitalisation is rising in a certain set of circumstances ( restrctions/weather/ geography/ demographics etc) it carries on at the same rate untill something slows it down or speeds it up.

If you don't slow it enough, if you don't get the infection rate below 1, the numbers grow every day until it runs out of new people to infect. might take a month, might take 5 months, might take a year,  but that's what happens.

All the boffins with responsibility around the world, the ones who have to advise governments, think there's tens of millions left to infect in the UK.

Shit weather causes people to be inside  more, which speeds it up. We've got shitloads of crap weather to come.

Meeting more people speeds it up. We've got miles more contacts going on in schools, shops, pubs, restaurants, work , than we did in Spring. 

Masks, Distance, reduce contacts, test, trace, isolate, ventilation,  clean hands, shield vulnerable, all slow it down.

It's a piece of piss, but no fun.

Edited by peelyfeet

7 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

The unherd guy doesn't know why whitty and vallance presented the data as they did. He's  guessing and making links to one other slide, when they will have used multiple barometers. 

His extrapolation to 13th October as being 7k doesn't look so accurate agsinst today's 6.6k.

Here's another article from unherd rubbishing that one from lockdownlunatics the other day

https://unherd.com/2020/09/do-we-need-a-second-lockdown/

Which journalist to believe? 

My advice - if they ain't a reputable scientist publishing an accepted paper in a  reputable medical journal, which is then peer reviewed. It might be a load of old bollocks. 

My advice; don’t tell others to think or make assumptions that we’re stupid

It’s a politically neutral site that I found interesting 

Pompous twat

17 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Pompous twat

Nice one, I dont think you're stupid mate, you've taken it the wrong way. I've posted a link from unherd that I support. I was on about lockdown sceptics being a load of bollocks.

Edited by peelyfeet

4 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Pompous twat

Jules, sorry If I came across as pompous.

You haven't been very vocal on here about this until now.

A couple of days ago you posted that article from lockdownsceptics. lockdown sceptics is very politically motivated.

I've posted loads of stuff on here and I've tried to keep politics out of it as best I can, as I think it clouds the water. 

If you want to know - I'm against a lot of the stuff the government have done, and pro a lot of the stuff the government have done.

I have a very strong opinion when it comes to science, especailly when it concerns the health, wellbeing and livelehood of everyone I know.

I can't stand people twisting science for political gain, for clicks, to sell books, for notoriety. 

I like raw data, presented without bias, so if anyone posts stuff on here that appears politically motivated and bends the truth for non scientific reasons, I'm going to challenge it.

That doesn't mean I think your'e stupid. It means I don't believe what you've posted to be true. Normally I wouldn't give a shit, but I do with this.

My advice was supposed to highlight that you've posted 2 links from  publications that have articles about false negatives, and they take a  alternate views.

If you, nor I, are as well researched as the authors,  how do we know which one is correct?

In this case, one of them is wrong, the other is correct. This isn't a case of differing opinion, it's whoevers maths is most accurate.

I've come across this situation loads of times, so what I do is try to take my information from sources that are open to challenge, that don't appear to be politically motivated, who disclose conflicts of interest before they tell you anything (because it makes me trust them more), from guys who have a long track record, who show that they are willing to change point of view if the science changes - Toby Young and his mates don't fit any of the criteria, so I discount what they say before even reading it.  

Edited by peelyfeet