Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter

Realistically, there is only 1 way to get rid of corona

We have a national lockdown for 3 weeks that includes EVERYONE.

People are told to stock up on food, medicine and bog roll, and anyone leaving their houses is arrested and jailed. rewards for grassing of £1,000.

No one in the country, no one out. borders completely shut

after 3 (or 4) weeks, it will have gone. Then you isolate everyone entering the country in detention centres for 3 weeks, no exceptions.

Not the lockdown we had in March, I mean a fucking lockdown. You get in your house and you fucking stay there. No exercise, no going out the door.

We live like a nuclear bomb has gone off for 3 weeks.

But then, then - back to absolute normal.

Would you do it? I know I would.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

People are told to stock up on food, medicine and bog roll, and anyone leaving their houses is arrested and jailed. rewards for grassing of £1,000.

after 3 (or 4) weeks, it will have gone. Then you isolate everyone entering the country in detention centres for 3 weeks, no exceptions.

Not the lockdown we had in March, I mean a fucking lockdown. You get in your house and you fucking stay there. No exercise, no going out the door.

Yep, and is what we should have done to some extent in March. 

The earlier and more severe you restrict interactions, the sooner you can go back to normal.

We could have been nearer to this if we'd locked down earlier and more severley in the first place, but it didn't happen, and we let a baseline of infections carry on in the North when we could have tried to suppress for a few weeks more. 

South Korea, 2 spikes, 413 deaths.

New Zealand 2 spikes 25 deaths

Australia 2 spikes 886 deaths

They've done it twice.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Spider said:

I reckon the shelves at local shops would be bereft of stock. Folk round Harwood panic like fuck when the local Morrison’s is shut for a day!

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

I said similar the other day, this is pretty much what China did  - I'd be more than happy with it. Give everybody 7-10 days notice (can you imagine how manic the shops would be) - and then get the army on the streets, shooting anybody they see who is out who they don't like the look of, anybody else, arrest and put away for 6 months without trial, straight to prison

Just now, Spider said:

Its a good idea and i would go along with it.

But take into consideration . Not every one could stay at home. 

Carers , Hospital staff , Police .

Are we also going to shut all food factorys and storage warehouses ?

7 days notice would be needed. In that time all shop purchases would need to be rationed.

Would we put military on the streets ?

I for one could do it.

Binge listen to numerous albums and watch Sharpe .

Anyone else up for it ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

1 million women missed breast cancer screenind due to Covid.

Nice work.

aye, places like the bottom bull have a lot to answer for

(edit: and the government)

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Spider said:

sounds like what they did in Dubai

416 deaths so far

I'd have no issue with it, sounds like my life since i had a kid anyway

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, embankment said:

Its a good idea and i would go along with it.

But take into consideration . Not every one could stay at home. 

Carers , Hospital staff , Police .

Are we also going to shut all food factorys and storage warehouses ?

7 days notice would be needed. In that time all shop purchases would need to be rationed.

Would we put military on the streets ?

I for one could do it.

Binge listen to numerous albums and watch Sharpe .

Anyone else up for it ?

Given the logistical nightmares we're having in not getting rid of it, I'm sure we could sort it.

Blitz spirit and spitfires etc.

Give everyone 2 weeks to get where they want to be for the Great Hibernation.

Give every household survival rations

Passes for people who have to maintain minimal infrastructure

Free telly for everyone for the duration.

Close garages to all expect people with passes.

A voucher of £500 per household when its over.

Get fukcing shut and use this natural geographical border we have for some good.

57 minutes ago, wiggy said:

It's a terrible stat. But from your comment it sounds like you're blaming the authorities for this? How about to make sure that we can carry on with the essentials like this, then people accept that cuddling up to their mates in the pub might have to wait. We have to make choices...

Just saying exactly how the bbc reported it word for word.

You mention pubs again. 2.8% cases have come from pubs.

What about the decsion to take £9k off thousands of students and let them on capuses across the country en masse?

Listen to yourselves... You commie bastards wishing we were a police state. 

We haven't got the numbers of police or military to be anywhere near that level of control. 

We also have a higher proportion of nobs who can't even abide by the semi lockdown we had in March. There's no fucking way they'll suddenly comply to 3 weeks housebound. 

Let's not forget China were welding apartment doors shut. 

The downside to that extreme lockdown is twofold. First, if you adopt such a harsh line, you will inevitably get some over the top incidents, maybe even a George Floyd flare point that shared on social media, threaten to send frustrated people over the top. Even as it is there are loads of rumours and conspiracy theories flying about, add the police delivering the kickings that we saw in Spain and France and things could get much worse very quickly. There is no shortage of anger and frustration in this country.

Secondly, Spain did it, France did it, but the virus returned nonetheless. Can we keep borders closed indefinitely? Probably a lot harder than we imagine with other unforeseen negative consequences. 

Although they've made mistakes, there's one goal of the Swedish response which I agree with, looking for a model that's sustainable over a longer period, on the understanding that, even with vaccine or mutation to a milder strain, this will be circulating in a dangerous form for eighteen months or more, so what can we do to build resistance into a system that doesn't just minimise harm from the virus, but harm from the response to it, like that breast screening example above.

• Site Supporter

I'm going to go all Trump and say fuck you all

This is how we're doing it any anyone found with corona after the event has clearly broken the rules and will be thrown in jail.

The left wing handwringers will just have to get thumb ache on twitter.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, gonzo said:

What about the decsion to take £9k off thousands of students and let them on capuses across the country en masse?

would it be better to let pubs open and keep students at home?

I don't know what's what anymore

the student thing should keep most happy that we're trying to proceed

the pubs - can open for me, but it was a pub that got Bolton into the state it's in now

if people do want to crack on, then go for it, but if you get it, just isolate, dont go to hospital, particulary if you're unlikely to die from it now, according to the stats

if folk were happy to crack on if we shield the vunerable, they should be happy to take one for the team at home alone

Edited by ZicoKelly

Just now, Carlos said:

You do all that and some nonces will still go to Tenerife on a bender, then we are back to square one.

You had to bring Tenerife into it.

I am missing that place.

The SAX bar at 10.30 any night of the week.

Heaven on earth  .

Live rock music , tasty beer and barmaids.

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

would it be better to let pubs open and keep students at home?

I don't know what's what anymore

the student thing should keep most happy that we're trying to proceed

the pubs - can open for me, but it was a pub that got Bolton into the state it's in now

if people do want to crack on, then go for it, but if you get it, just isolate, dont go to hospital, particulary if you're unlikely to die from it now, according to the stats

Since we came out of lockdown I've eaten outside and had a drink at a local pub that's done everything right. They've put in all the measures, they've been diligent with track and trace, we've been there as a family with wide age groups and I think the whole process has been as safe as it could be.

Ive also walked past another local where no one seems to give a toss. Seriously it looks same as it ever was.

We are a human chain of 60m on this island and it's only as strong as its weakest link. I don't know how you get through to those people, but they're the reason we are heading back to lockdown conditions.

• Moderators
Just now, ProfessorWoland said:

Since we came out of lockdown I've eaten outside and had a drink at a local pub that's done everything right. They've put in all the measures, they've been diligent with track and trace, we've been there as a family with wide age groups and I think the whole process has been as safe as it could be.

Ive also walked past another local where no one seems to give a toss. Seriously it looks same as it ever was.

We are a human chain of 60m on this island and it's only as strong as its weakest link. I don't know how you get through to those people, but they're the reason we are heading back to lockdown conditions.

aye, I spoke to the guy who runs my local - in the week before re-opening, they spent a lot of time devising a system that meant they were covid secure - staffing, one way system, booking system, etc etc etc

the holts pub across the road announced the day before that they'd be open at 11 and asked people to keep their distance at the bar

did they fuck

it was a free for all, kicked off loads, police called out 6 times etc

I'm sure it'll be the Holts lot who moan the loudest about killing the economy when we get shut down again

• Members

Tried to go and see a school for our sprog going next year , on Friday, just called us and said it’s cancelled due to being closed on Friday for deep cleaning

what about Monday? Teacher training

ok then 21st October? Half term.

😂 

W

O

R

K

S

H

Y

34 minutes ago, gonzo said:

2.8% of transmission incidents, outside of the home, have been successfully tracked to pubs/food outlets, in a week.

But they've only tracked 770.

ZOE (which the ONS stats have been consistently reflecting a few weeks later) reckons there's 19k new cases a day, so 133k a week

Where's the other 132,300?

It's harder to track if you've been somewhere with folk you don't know, if everyone doesn't have tbe app, and where you're relying on the folk to be honest, and venues to keep good records.

I'll be very surprised if the real % isn't roughly broken down to the % of time you spend indoors and the amount of different people in the same room at the same as you.

Go to a pub with 2 people in for 2 hrs, your chance of catching it will be less than going to a restaurant with 30 people in for 30 mins. Sit outside and it drops even more. Don't go and its even less.

Edited by peelyfeet

• Moderators

here's an idea

everyone to get the track and trace app

designate certain places as high risk

if you get it and go to hospital, you won't be admitted if you don't have the app

if you do, and it shows you've been to high risk places, you don't get in and have to go home and isolate

or, to save a wasted journey, put in a positive test result into the app and it will tell you whether you're allowed to go to hospital, or stay at home

sounds like a good compromise to  me

33 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

2.8% of transmission incidents, outside of the home, have been successfully tracked to pubs/food outlets, in a week.

But they've only tracked 770.

ZOE (which the ONS stats have been consistently reflecting a few weeks later) reckons there's 19k new cases a day, so 133k a week

Where's the other 132,300?

It's harder to track if you've been somewhere with folk you don't know, if everyone doesn't have tbe app, and where you're relying on the folk to be honest, and venues to keep good records.

I'll be very surprised if the real % isn't roughly broken down to the % of time you spend indoors and the amount of different people in the same room at the same as you.

Go to a pub with 2 people in for 2 hrs, your chance of catching it will be less than going to a restaurant with 30 people in for 30 mins. Sit outside and it drops even more. Don't go and its even less.

You don’t need to sample everyone to come up with an accurate measure of what’s going on 

I think the TV ratings are done off a panel of say 5,000 households 

Kantar use a panel of 10,000

both are accurate to within 1% 

700 might not be quite enough but it will be indicative within a few % points either way no doubt. Track another 4k to 5k and it will be extremely accurate 

Edited by birch-chorley

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

here's an idea

everyone to get the track and trace app

designate certain places as high risk

if you get it and go to hospital, you won't be admitted if you don't have the app

if you do, and it shows you've been to high risk places, you don't get in and have to go home and isolate

or, to save a wasted journey, put in a positive test result into the app and it will tell you whether you're allowed to go to hospital, or stay at home

sounds like a good compromise to  me

They could let folk and establishments decide for themselves.

Anyone who lives on their own, or with anyone compos mentis over 21 who agrees, can declare themselves a member of the covid cowboy club, willing to take risks and ride the wave. You'd get a club wallet, bage and Id card, like the Dennis the Menace fan club. 

Pubs, shops, employees could be covid cowboy friendly - go in whenever you want, mask free, mingle as much as you like - but if you catch covid and need treatment - pay for it yourself in a covid cowboy hospital. 

Covid cowboys would have to adhere to curfews - get caught in a public place at the wrong time and you'll be sent to the gladiatorial games, a bit like what happens to Captain Kirk a lot. Friday night entertainment sorted.

59 minutes ago, Spider said:

I'm going to go all Trump and say fuck you all

This is how we're doing it any anyone found with corona after the event has clearly broken the rules and will be thrown in jail.

The left wing handwringers will just have to get thumb ache on twitter.

close down all social media, they've managed to do it in China, so we could do it here. Let's be honest, nobody is going to have a worse life if they can't get on Twitter and TikTok

47 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, I spoke to the guy who runs my local - in the week before re-opening, they spent a lot of time devising a system that meant they were covid secure - staffing, one way system, booking system, etc etc etc

the holts pub across the road announced the day before that they'd be open at 11 and asked people to keep their distance at the bar

did they fuck

it was a free for all, kicked off loads, police called out 6 times etc

I'm sure it'll be the Holts lot who moan the loudest about killing the economy when we get shut down again

As it's only tramps, peasants and scutters who drink Holts, because they can't afford a decent pint, then it's no surprise really is it that they can't stick to the rules. It's always the poor people that let us down.

Edited by Sweep