Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I remember it being mentioned almost as an afterthought and a sweetener at the end of one of the briefings a few weeks ago but then hardly discussed. I've a feeling there might be some sort of injunction out in the media perhaps, because there's loads going on.

I can see why a media blackout regarding a potential vaccine would be a good idea.

Imagining people thinking fuck the rules there’s a vaccine next month, and ramping up cases in that month .

its hard enough convincing people to behave as it is, if they thought a cure was available soon there’d be no adherence to anything 

Speaking to lady today whos son lives in South Africa

3 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

There must be a few on here who fall into the category of being over 60, clinically obese, asthmatic or have some other underlying condition. Or live with someone who is. Or have family/friends who are.

Does anybody seriously think 'most' of those people would happily adhere to locking themselves away/not able to go to the pub/match/see friends and family - for the next 12 months? While everyone else goes back to normal?

Show of hands? 

Locking away :D

1 minute ago, fatolive said:

I can see why a media blackout regarding a potential vaccine would be a good idea.

Imagining people thinking fuck the rules there’s a vaccine next month, and ramping up cases in that month .

its hard enough convincing people to behave as it is, if they thought a cure was available soon there’d be no adherence to anything 

I agree, there's going to have to be some massive work going into how this is announced and the managing of expectations about when the "average man on the street" will get their jab(s). Can you imagine the reaction as soon as that word "vaccine" is dropped by Johnson, it'll be like the dont panic sign lighting up in Airplane.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, wiggy said:

Looking increasingly likely that we are going to have to close down the business I’ve spent the last 21 years helping to build. Not even the slightest clue what I’ll do if that happens. Does that mean I’m now in favour of giving up on trying to control the virus? Does it fuck. I’d rather give my Mum, Dad and Father in law the best chance of staying alive thanks very much.

People talk a lot about the mental health issues this crisis is causing. They are horrible and people clearly need a lot of help. But imagine the long term impact of living in the knowledge that you didn’t do everything you could to protect the vulnerable from the virus.

Aye, that's where I'm at, you only get one crack at life

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spider said:

I’ve not seen any of my mates properly for fucking ages.

Texting the lads about the football today whilst watching on a laptop is bullshit.

love my family an all, but fucking hell

I don't think my mates will speak to me again on the other side since i started forwarding them all the extreme shit Gonzo sends me on WhatsApp

To be honest, i don't want to speak to them the soft cunts

13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I don't think my mates will speak to me again on the other side since i started forwarding them all the extreme shit Gonzo sends me on WhatsApp

To be honest, i don't want to speak to them the soft cunts

Your my friend now.

Wanna buy some pegs?

2 hours ago, wiggy said:

Looking increasingly likely that we are going to have to close down the business I’ve spent the last 21 years helping to build. Not even the slightest clue what I’ll do if that happens. Does that mean I’m now in favour of giving up on trying to control the virus? Does it fuck. I’d rather give my Mum, Dad and Father in law the best chance of staying alive thanks very much.

People talk a lot about the mental health issues this crisis is causing. They are horrible and people clearly need a lot of help. But imagine the long term impact of living in the knowledge that you didn’t do everything you could to protect the vulnerable from the virus.

If it’s about doing everything we can to protect the vulnerable from the virus then we will be restricting what we can do for years to come

Even if a Covid vaccine comes next year its likely to be as effective as the Winter Flu one. Which whilst effective still doesn’t stop tens of thousands dying every year in the U.K. 

‘Doing everything we can’ to stop this virus will mean years of restrictions, years of damage to the economy, years of austerity and reduced healthcare spending. We will reach a point where the restrictions kill more than they have saved 

Question is, when do we get to the point where it’s counter productive in terms of excess deaths 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
Just now, birch-chorley said:

If it’s about doing everything we can to protect the vulnerable from the virus then we will be restricting what we can do for years to come

Even if a Covid vaccine comes next year its likely to be as effective as the Winter Flu one. Which whilst effective still doesn’t stop tens of thousands dying every year in the U.K. 

‘Doing everything we can’ to stop this virus will mean years of restrictions, years of damage to the economy, years of austerity and reduced healthcare spending. We will reach a point where the cure kills more than its saved 

Question is, when do we get to the point where it’s counter productive in terms of excess deaths 

I think everyone agrees on that, it is just the point at which economy over health becomes more important I think?

I am very very lucky to be very busy at work. I really feel for those in the shit because of this, as I am sure I would feel differently if I couldn't pay the mortgage 

2 hours ago, only1swanny said:

They need to issue anti body tests before a vaccine,

Find out who's actually had it 

Hence the antibody test ive mentioned several times, a million were purchased the other day and expect to see orders in the tens of millions anytime next week onwards

I am almost 62 with underlying health conditions ( I used to run marathons and play football, I was as fit as a butchers dog until 2 years ago) I was sent home from work on 23rd March and deemed as vulnerable, I have worked at home since then. I have been on to the Colls once and the pub 3 times, I take the dog out every morning early when there is hardly anybody about and get a paper on my home (from the garage where no fucker wears a mask except me). I have done everything asked of me to keep myself and others safe but it is getting so frustrating seeing folk flouting the rules, some of us old 'uns respect everybody else, I wish there was some reciprocation. Older folk want a normal life too - not locking away

1 minute ago, Spider said:

I love you

Don't blame you pal 😊 

Small print on the RNS is nice as it mentions the mass roll out coming, and also how the government is capacity funding too. A nice £10 million contract was shown on bidstats yesterday purely for raw materials for the kits, and Adreco got funding the other day to produce 52 million kits, not to me tion the VISITECT production line....going to be big mate 😉 

28 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

‘Doing everything we can’ to stop this virus will mean years of restrictions, years of damage to the economy, years of austerity and reduced healthcare spending. We will reach a point where the restrictions kill more than they have saved 

The amount of folk killed by the flu each year is somewhat determined by how effective the annual flu vaccine is. 

Theres a few strains of flu that mutate each year to some extent. The pharma companies try to follow the mutations as best they can, and create the best flu shot they can anticipate, targeted on the strains they think will be most prevalent. The flu shot protects against several strains at once. If they get the prediction correct, less people die.

The covid vaccine targets the section of the virus genome that enables the virus to enter human cells. Deactivate this section and the virus is useless.

There hasn't been any mutations yet that will prevent the vaccine from deactivating the cell entry function.

So if it continues like this, we won't need another vaccine, and it will be a lot more effective than the flu shot, to the extent that covid would become extinct, like SARS.