Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

26 minutes ago, wiggy said:

I promise you I’m not trying to be difficult. I don’t think most people would have a problem asking the “vulnerable” to shield if we were talking about a known period of time. Or if it meant others could carry on do the “essentials”. I think what people have an issue with, is the suggestion by some that the vulnerable should shield forever so that others can go back to living what we might consider a “normal” life.

The life we all live for the foreseeable is going to be shit. Anyone who thinks any different is deluded and / or massively selfish. Personally I think we need to find the balance which allows us to keep the virus under control without meaning 15 million people face the threat of 3 years, 5 years or longer stuck at home.

And this is all assuming you think we can actually lock those people away in safety.

I don’t think we can lock them away safely, it wouldn’t be perfect, non of the measures are, but it would protect them to a degree whilst supporting the economy more so than we are now 

Your now talking 3 to 5 years, I’m talking until Spring / Summer when we hopefully have a vaccine 

If the vaccine takes 3-5 years then we wouldn’t possibly be able to go on as we are shutting stuff down left right and centre. We would simply run out of money long before we got to the end of year 2 let alone 3. That would mean doctors, nurses, teachers and the rest of the public sector not getting paid. A full economic collapse like that won’t do the vulnerable any favours either would it 

If we haven't got a vaccine in 2021 then the only other way would be herd immunity surely? 

All massively depressing isn’t it? Even when people disagree on how to manage this, for the most part they want the same thing - to look after as many people as possible. I know you do as well. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we’re going to be needing Rudy for a good while yet!

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, wiggy said:

All massively depressing isn’t it? Even when people disagree on how to manage this, for the most part they want the same thing - to look after as many people as possible. I know you do as well. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we’re going to be needing Rudy for a good while yet!

Sod post briefing questions. We need Rudy with a fine selection of busters and some soothing music.

2 hours ago, wiggy said:

Devastating really 

19 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Sage?

2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Van Tam and Whitty?

Both correct. But do we think , and this is a genuine question , if labour were in power they would be so keen given they would need to find the billions extra to fund it?

Personally I think not. But for balance I think the tories as opposition would be advocating a full lockdown too. It’s political gamesmanship 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Sage?

Correct. Can see the reasoning behind local efforts though. Rates did come down here in Bolton, once we went into our own tougher restrictions, took a while maybe but did work.

If everyone follows it properly, then rates should come down. As will areas with low rates should their rates continue upwards. 

The longer things aren't adhered to, the more likely a national one is.

Just hope that the latest figures are evidence of a slowing.

20 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

These videos in the papers of vaccines being made, would drugs companies be making so much if they weren’t getting signed off?

No idea of the protocol 

I doubt in usual cases they would produce so many before approval but 'needs must' with the wuflu. 

I'm no anti vaxxer but I won't be front of the queue for one that has been knocked up in 9 months and was produced before the clinical trials had even finished. 

• Site Supporter

I’m really fed up of it all now.

My kids are losing the most important years of their lives to hanging around with me. Shit for them that.

Numbers are dropping round here, I’d say we’re closer to tier one than two.

fucked off

27 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Sage?

Not quite

They nearly said that a few weeks ago, but not quite, it was heavily caveated and they said they were short of data

"the evidence base into the effectiveness and harms of these interventions is weak"

• Moderators

I love stuff like that, post some facts and let you join the dots that there's something not right. You think it's your idea and believe it more than if they'd just come out with it straight. Rev and the Makers need to fuck off back to the 2 weeks in 2005 that anyone gave a fuck about them.

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

These videos in the papers of vaccines being made, would drugs companies be making so much if they weren’t getting signed off?

No idea of the protocol 

Pfizer are taking a gamble and they aren’t stupid. They’ve produced some of the biggest selling drugs in the world. They’ll have access to the early data. Confident and they’ll push the button. Which they have done. They may go for orphan drug status which means that the data they have suggests that everything is OK and that they don’t need to do more trials. Also means they can’t sell at the usual profit as it’s pushed through for “humanitarian” reasons. On the other hand they may have later data which is more robust which means that they can sell for a higher price

IMO they won’t try to profiteer on this but don’t think for one second that this will be cheap. This will have cost them millions and millions just to get to this stage. And there’s still no guarantee that their gamble of starting production will pay off with a licence for use

If I was a gambling man, however, I would say that this is a good bet. You don’t wheel out videos and senior execs on summat like this thinking that you might end up with egg on your face

Edit: Boss Hog sums it up quite nicely here. I still reckon that they are very confident of passing each hurdle

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/an_open_letter_from_pfizer_chairman_and_ceo_albert_bourla

Edited by MancWanderer

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Pfizer are taking a gamble and they aren’t stupid. They’ve produced some of the biggest selling drugs in the world. They’ll have access to the early data. Confident and they’ll push the button. Which they have done. They may go for orphan drug status which means that the data they have suggests that everything is OK and that they don’t need to do more trials. Also means they can’t sell at the usual profit as it’s pushed through for “humanitarian” reasons. On the other hand they may have later data which is more robust which means that they can sell for a higher price

IMO they won’t try to profiteer on this but don’t think for one second that this will be cheap. This will have cost them millions and millions just to get to this stage. And there’s still no guarantee that their gamble of starting production will pay off with a licence for use

If I was a gambling man, however, I would say that this is a good bet. You don’t wheel out videos and senior execs on summat like this thinking that you might end up with egg on your face. 

Are you saying eggs cure Covid?