Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Not wishing to sound condescending but ICU beds are used for a lot more than COVID 

This is the time of year when the pressure ramps up on ICU with admissions due to pneumonia and other respiratory conditions especially. Happens every year. 

I've got my fingers crossed that other respiratory illnesses will be lower this year, because of mask wearing and restrictions. 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I've got my fingers crossed that other respiratory illnesses will be lower this year, because of mask wearing and restrictions. 

I suspect that they may well be due to handwashing and the use of antibacterials

Easiest way to pick up flu is touching things in public places like supermarkets.....not what you're thinking @Spider

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

there's nothing they could do, that's the point

if you overwhelm hospitals they are left with these decisions, and the decision will always favour treating those perceived as younger/fitter/stronger and better equiped to beat it

so those saying crack on must be ready to acccept they or someone close to them may get turned away (depsite their best efforst to shield) in favour of a student, for example, who's been going out on the piss every night and to covid parties and generally not giving a fuck

am taking it to the extreme there, but, that's how it would be, generally (IMO) and how I understand hospitals operate

might be wrong

still think it's best not to risk it and find out

I thought the idea of the first lockdown was to allow the government / NHS to regroup so they could build up capacity (beds, doctors, ventilators, track and trace etc)? 

I’ve got multiple members of family who would be categorised as high risk, I accept that ‘crack on’ puts them at extra risk now.

However you can reverse your very same point, those saying put Health before the Economy need to accept that, if we carry on destroying our economy then it will cause catastrophic damage to public finances and our healthcare system will go backwards for a decade at least. Waiting lists through the roof, A&E overflowing, waiting hours for an ambulance, hundreds of thousands of excess deaths over the coming years 

do you accept that as a reasonable trade off for saving more lives now? 

13 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I thought the idea of the first lockdown was to allow the government / NHS to regroup so they could build up capacity (beds, doctors, ventilators, track and trace etc)? 

I’ve got multiple members of family who would be categorised as high risk, I accept that ‘crack on’ puts them at extra risk now.

However you can reverse your very same point, those saying put Health before the Economy need to accept that, if we carry on destroying our economy then it will cause catastrophic damage to public finances and our healthcare system will go backwards for a decade at least. Waiting lists through the roof, A&E overflowing, waiting hours for an ambulance, hundreds of thousands of excess deaths over the coming years 

Do you accept that no Government in the world can just stand by and let people die now ? 

The projections and implications down the line I agree will be harsh but they are not quantifiable. This will sound incredibly harsh but for a number of years we have been told that the biggest threat to the NHS is the aging population. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Just heard on the BBC news again that rates in Manchester are going down. This is the situation in Greater Manchester.

Can we just go back to being Lancashire to eradicate all doubt on the matter.

Bolton up by 23%

ffs

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

In response to the first sentence, so did I

In answer to the rest I say save more lives now

And do whatever we can to protect the economy now

I'd take ensuring strict adherence before lockdown if possible, whatever that takes

It doesn't have to one or the other, total lockdown or total crack on

In any case, it won't be crack on, and the numbers need to come down, it needs to br a concerted effort, a "crack on" mentality won't help imo

19 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Just heard on the BBC news again that rates in Manchester are going down. This is the situation in Greater Manchester.

Were, are and always will be Lancashire 

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, Ani said:

Do you accept that no Government in the world can just stand by and let people die now ? 

The projections and implications down the line I agree will be harsh but they are not quantifiable. This will sound incredibly harsh but for a number of years we have been told that the biggest threat to the NHS is the aging population. 

Aye

I'm not really interested in what may or may not happen in years to come because other unforeseen factors may come into play that make things better or worse

I'm more interested in saying "what's the worst position we could be in in terms of lives and economy next week/month" and deal with that

• Members
57 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

7th? Evatt out!

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I get that, would also say they can’t just stand by and let the economy go to shit as thats what pays for the health service that keeps people alive. Surely a better way to approach this would be to put the economy first whilst doing our best to shield the 10m or so in the vulnerable groups 

The ageing population is why the NHS budget needs to grow each year way beyond inflation. Similarly pensions, social care and other welfare payments. The Welfare pot will get doubly fucked by millions of unemployed, who will go from paying tax / NI to claiming benefits 

NHS spending only went up by £20bn / 10% between 2010 and 2020, apparently those cuts meant 150k excess deaths. Fuck knows what we are looking at after the worst recession in 300 years, I’d imagine it’s a significantly bigger number that 150k already 

Edited by birch-chorley

21 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye

I'm not really interested in what may or may not happen in years to come because other unforeseen factors may come into play that make things better or worse

I'm more interested in saying "what's the worst position we could be in in terms of lives and economy next week/month" and deal with that

The impact of all this will be here before we know it 

Let’s see who’s protesting about government cuts when folk are dying on waiting lists, I’d imagine it will turn out to be the same ones saying put healthcare first now 

I agree, we should be looking at what’s the best for lives / economy next week / month. Sadly it seem that only the health side of it is taking priority 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, birch-chorley said:

The impact of all this will be here before we know it 

Let’s see who’s protesting about government cuts when folk are dying on waiting lists, I’d imagine it will turn out to be the same ones saying put healthcare first now 

I agree, we should be looking at what’s the best for lives / economy next week / month. Sadly it seem that only the health side of it is taking priority 

You can still go to the pub, and if numbers look to be out of control, you can't

Seems fair to me, given what we know about the spread

Given Bolton's numbers spiking followed an outbreak at a pub, then went down and pubs reopened, then that seems to be a balancing act to me

But yes, I'd put keeping the numbers down next week above being able to go for a pint, unless, everyone promised to behave themselves and play by the rules

I'll not be protesting about anything either

• Moderators

Genuine question

If we want to keep pubs and hospitality open

Why can't we employ military to help police it?

We clearly don't have enough police to do it properly

Would folk on here accept everything as it was in August if it meant a military presence on the streets and randomly checking in on pubs, restaurants and what ever else required?

I would, but i suspect there'd be an influential minority that wouldn't

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

People breaking the rules in pubs hasnt lead to the recent spike.

Id say 99% of places have stuck to regulations they were given.

It doesn't matter if the rules have been broken or not. Go indoors, take your mask off for a couple of hours, have a good old breathe in,  in a building that 100 others have already been in, maybe a few young piss heads. Then blame the government/ vulnerable people.  Repeat.

You won't catch me indoors without a mask on, anywhere,  for ages. Pub, church, sports hall, cinema, mosque, office. Not a chance.

• Moderators

I suppose it depends on your attitude to the risk and how strongly you feel this situation is absolute shit and what we are left with doesnt look like a life you want to live

I was in the local for 3 hours on saturday and i was more worried about catching armchair red filth itis....the dirty bastards  :)

Same story for the teacher and health service worker i was with

Scanned in on the app for balance

22 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

It doesn't matter if the rules have been broken or not. Go indoors, take your mask off for a couple of hours, have a good old breathe in,  in a building that 100 others have already been in, maybe a few young piss heads. Then blame the government/ vulnerable people.  Repeat.

You won't catch me indoors without a mask on, anywhere,  for ages. Pub, church, sports hall, cinema, mosque, office. Not a chance.

I was referring to zicos post about bringing the army in to enforce rules. Rules that have been enforced anyway imo.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

People breaking the rules in pubs hasnt lead to the recent spike.

Id say 99% of places have stuck to regulations they were given.

Not just in pubs, everywhere

Pubs, restaurants, Asda, the lot

1% is maybe all it takes