Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

24 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think the worst case scenario was that 500k would die 

£400bn spent divided by 500k = £800k per oldie that’s been saved 

But 50k of them have died anyway (and counting) 

let’s say we end up saving 300k lives, what are we into, £1.5m per person saved 

I recon my grandad would do himself in if you offered him 1 and a half large 

You can save a hell of a lot more lives for £400bn surely, spent on clean water in Africa I recon you’d save millions 

Edit - just had a look on the Wateraid website, 2.5m die each year in Africa due to poor water supplies, mainly kids! I bet £400bn would sort that out, wed save 25m people over the next 10 years 

Letting people die and get ill costs too. 

And people would have stopped going to work, school  shops off their own back, and the economy is also affected by international circumstances. It would still have been fucked over.

24 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I think the worst case scenario was that 500k would die 

£400bn spent divided by 500k = £800k per oldie that’s been saved 

But 50k of them have died anyway (and counting) 

let’s say we end up saving 300k lives, what are we into, £1.5m per person saved 

I recon my grandad would do himself in if you offered him 1 and a half large 

You can save a hell of a lot more lives for £400bn surely, spent on clean water in Africa I recon you’d save millions 

Edit - just had a look on the Wateraid website, 2.5m die each year in Africa due to poor water supplies, mainly kids! I bet £400bn would sort that out, wed save 25m people over the next 10 years 

Let’s take your  argument a step further. You are saying a number of old people dying is an acceptable trade off for the economy. 
You have also agreed earlier that we can not afford to run the NHS as is given the aging population. 
Why do we not just stop treating people aged over 70 ?  Ok a few die but the economy will be better. 

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

With hindsight, we would have locked the doors early and done a Taiwan. That ships sailed, Chorley has had more cases than Taiwan. 

With hindsight, were we right to lockdown in Spring? I thought so originally, we put 25% of the UK’s workforce on furlough, paid directly by the tax payer, what for? We seem to be right back where we started and are about to do the same thing all over again. How many times will it be acceptable to keep doing the same thing over and over again before it gets called out for being a shit approach? 

The office for budget responsibility said that we are course to spunk £400bn on Covid this fiscal year. Put another way, we could have given the 15m people in the vulnerable groups £10,000 each (£150bn total) to lock themselves down for 12 months and wed have still saved ourselves £250bn (nearly two years total NHS budget with over 1m staff to pay) 

The money spent on this is mind boggling and we don’t seem to be any better off than we were 6 months ago 

Conversely, how many times do we keep doing things half arsed over and over again before it's seen not to be working

Depressing isn't it

And to think this shower are leading us out of the EU

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Let’s take your  argument a step further. You are saying a number of old people dying is an acceptable trade off for the economy. 
You have also agreed earlier that we can not afford to run the NHS as is given the aging population. 
Why do we not just stop treating people aged over 70 ?  Ok a few die but the economy will be better. 

I’ve not said we can’t afford to run the NHS, I’ve said if it doesn’t get funding increases of 5% a year then services go backwards (because of the ageing population) 

Its not a bottomless pit, but I’d have swallowed us spending an extra £20bn over 10 years (2010 to 2020) to save 150k lives. If you increased the NHS budget further you’d save tens of thousands more each year also 

Spending £400bn in 1 year to save 300k is madness IMO. That’s before you consider in year 2 we have huge numbers unemployed on welfare not paying tax. The Covid cost will end up close to £1tn all said and done. That could have been spent saving far more lives

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

And the question will linger for Micheal Martin's government: If they had taken the expert advice a fortnight ago, could this have been avoided?

What was that then?

Just now, ZicoKelly said:

And the question will linger for Micheal Martin's government: If they had taken the expert advice a fortnight ago, could this have been avoided?

What was that then?

Doesn't make much sense does it.

If they'd heeded earlier warnings and locked down 2 weeks ago, lockdown could have been avoided ?? 

God knows.

6 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

It'll be much better though. We live with other diseases and vaccines help a massive amount. My NHS mate says there's 1.6 million vaccines on order for delivery, 26th December. No idea if this is NHS in total or just NW. It's 2nd hand info though, from a mutual mate, not the sharpest tool  I'll get clarification.

Aye of course its not "going away" its a disease, not a person. Its this whole war against covid claptrap from politicians who want to be seen to beat the virus. 

Its here forever, or at least until its run its course through the world. Vaccines and science alone will get us to live normally with the proportional dangers. Until then, this is the life we have.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Government seem to be saying forget the idea of 80% furlough again it ain’t happening 

Ta.

I admire the stance, but surely Burnham knows they won’t get 80% or he’d have Merseyside and Lancs demanding the same.

As usual, the government have shown zero backbone. Just fucking say tier 3 means we’ll pay xyz to hospitality staff and that’s it. Object all you like but that’s the crack.

Operation HiberNation. Telling you, that’s all that will guarantee we can have a clean start. I was half joking to start with but now I’m convinced it’s what we need unless we want this shit for another 6 months.

9 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

It'll be much better though. We live with other diseases and vaccines help a massive amount. My NHS mate says there's 1.6 million vaccines on order for delivery, 26th December. No idea if this is NHS in total or just NW. It's 2nd hand info though, from a mutual mate, not the sharpest tool  I'll get clarification.

I’ve heard the exact same date from a mate in local gvt. Which bodes well.

Sister and brother in law just tested positive. Both got no symptoms, the only reason they knew is that my brother in law was on a site yesterday where they tested everyone. They have two kids and my sister is a teacher, both would have been into work today if they hadn't had a random test. 

Anyway off into the office myself for the first time since March 18th or something daft. Missed my train as well. Forgotten how much of my day (and money) was wasted commuting. Hoping this is one change that is permanent.

57 minutes ago, Spider said:

Ta.

I admire the stance, but surely Burnham knows they won’t get 80% or he’d have Merseyside and Lancs demanding the same.

As usual, the government have shown zero backbone. Just fucking say tier 3 means we’ll pay xyz to hospitality staff and that’s it. Object all you like but that’s the crack.

Operation HiberNation. Telling you, that’s all that will guarantee we can have a clean start. I was half joking to start with but now I’m convinced it’s what we need unless we want this shit for another 6 months.

And, presumably, do it all again, when it, or some other “deadly” virus returns?

58 minutes ago, Spider said:

Ta.

Empty your inbox pal, or check the shares, £75million order confirmed 👍 

• Members

Had the dreaded isolation text from daughters school. Shes 6 so obviously I have to be off with her. Work have kindly told me I have to use Annual leave or take unpaid leave. Cheers NHS, I've cancelled annual leave when needed, work extra when asked. I've put myself and my family in danger with your shit PPE and this is how I'm repaid when I need help. Some people have been off 4 times on full pay when waiting for covid results to get back (they where taking the piss and the bosses new this) im so fucked off. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Had the dreaded isolation text from daughters school. Shes 6 so obviously I have to be off with her. Work have kindly told me I have to use Annual leave or take unpaid leave. Cheers NHS, I've cancelled annual leave when needed, work extra when asked. I've put myself and my family in danger with your shit PPE and this is how I'm repaid when I need help. Some people have been off 4 times on full pay when waiting for covid results to get back (they where taking the piss and the bosses new this) im so fucked off. 

Put in a formal grievance, together with supporting evidence. Take a deep breath and try to be calm and thorough whilst you sort it. Good luck.

Guest Nordkurve
9 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Send a letter to the local Rag, the MEN and your local MP to highlight what an absolute disgrace this situation is. Front line workers should be getting bonuses not told to take holiday or unpaid leave. Shocking.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Conversely, how many times do we keep doing things half arsed over and over again before it's seen not to be working

Depressing isn't it

And to think this shower are leading us out of the EU

Strangely, with the exception of Germany (who aren't having it completely problem free) no nation in the European Union have got on top of the virus and everyone has their own struggles with it.

In particular, the bigger countries. 

Thankfully their showers are negotiating on the other side.

Strange thing about this whole government/Burnham stand off is that Edinburgh and the whole central belt have almost been in tier 3 for 10days now and we’ve just got on with it. No begging bowl seeking a pay off. No spat all over Social media. Nobody trying to champion the selves as a man/woman of the people to further their own political career. We’ve just got on with it. Heads down crack on. 

speaks volumes really 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Strange thing about this whole government/Burnham stand off is that Edinburgh and the whole central belt have almost been in tier 3 for 10days now and we’ve just got on with it. No begging bowl seeking a pay off. No spat all over Social media. Nobody trying to champion the selves as a man/woman of the people to further their own political career. We’ve just got on with it. Heads down crack on. 

speaks volumes really 

Aye. 2 hours and counting...

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

speaks volumes really 

Maybe something as to how the messages have been delivered in Scotland. Sturgeon has to me, come across very clear. 

Have you seen/heard the Janey Godley sketches following the briefings?

Edited by Morizio
To add the Janey Godley bit

6 minutes ago, Morizio said:

Maybe something as to how the messages have been delivered in Scotland. Sturgeon has to me, come across very clear. 

Have you seen/heard the Janey Godley sketches following the briefings?

She’s not without fault in this whole matter by any stretch but she has been very clear and probably handled it better in that respect than any other leader across the home nations imo. 

Not seen them will seek them Out