Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Reckon you're right. Put areas in and give the sort of package already being agreed.

At least that gives authorities some say on how best to distribute the funds.

No way were they going to give in, with other authorities watching on..

Like I said it’s whats happened up here   And for the record the only additional support available is to licenced premises which can apply for a grant of upto 3k (some are capped at 2k if rateable value is under a certain threshold) and then they can also apply for a further grant of 1.5k for any business impacted by Covid restrictions.  That’s all that’s on offer above and beyond job support scheme.

there was no horse trading on Twitter, no staged public statements on the streets to the waiting media none of that. Folk have got on with it. To me that’s the way it should’ve been everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thank you. So am amazingly this is all the governments fault. That’s fine you’re entitled to your opinion but we shall leave it there as I think that’s a truckload of horseshit. Burnham has played to the crowd and failed spectacularly to gain anything. The people of GM are worse off because of his actions. Just my opinion. 

Have a good evening. 

What did you expect him to do ? He had the guts to take on this shambles of a government, a bit like your part of the country.

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

So take the equivalent money Lancashire and Liverpool did?

The lowest wages can be topped up with income support, and with the additional money lancashire and Liverpool can give from their business support funds, the 66% suddenly goes up a good chunk.

And Steve Rotherham isn't a tory. 

Greater Manchester's population is twice that of Merseyside.

Was the offer made proportionate to that?

I think Merseyside got a total of £51m, Lancashire a total of £42m. 

£75m, or £65m as I think they were willing to go to, sounds about right?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Like I said it’s whats happened up here   And for the record the only additional support available is to licenced premises which can apply for a grant of upto 3k (some are capped at 2k if rateable value is under a certain threshold) and then they can also apply for a further grant of 1.5k for any business impacted by Covid restrictions.  That’s all that’s on offer above and beyond job support scheme.

there was no horse trading on Twitter, no staged public statements on the streets to the waiting media none of that. Folk have got on with it. To me that’s the way it should’ve been everywhere.

Aye.

2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

In fact I don't think it's Merseyside, is it?

Just the Liverpool city region.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

So might 60 million?

Be honest, neither of us know the fine detail of how much exactly would represent an equivalent. 

It seems discussions are still ongoing, so hopefully the extra money will be on its way soon.

3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But the money wasn’t for the entire population was it? Was it not for those peoples who’s jobs were directly impacted by the restrictions so total population isn’t a correct measure? 

But the money wasn’t for the entire population was it? Was it not for those peoples who’s jobs were directly impacted by the restrictions so total population isn’t a correct measure? 

No, I'm not saying it's for the whole population, but it's surely proportionate. The more people within the region, the more jobs are affected. 

If the Liverpool city region is allocated a total of £51m, it doesn't seem to me that the sums being asked for were unreasonable.

4 minutes ago, leigh white said:

What did you expect him to do ? He had the guts to take on this shambles of a government, a bit like your part of the country.

He didn’t take anyone on. And if I was him I would be saying just that as losing a battle to this “shambles of a government “ isn’t what I would class as a badge of honour I would want to wear? 

And krankie hasn’t taken the government on. She’s just gone about her business in her own way. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Yes. Some difference in belief of how many businesses and their type are around and amount needed apparently. 

Gets to the point of "ever decreasing circles", as they go into minutae. 

All a bit daft. We should have been sorted and on with it a week ago.

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No, I'm not saying it's for the whole population, but it's surely proportionate. The more people within the region, the more jobs are affected. 

If the Liverpool city region is allocated a total of £51m, it doesn't seem to me that the sums being asked for were unreasonable.

It would be those people who work in sectors impacted such as hospitality etc that would be the measure? It I should say it should be the measure? But like most things recently I think it’s been fucked up by the government they’ve entered into a negotiation with liverpool city they shouldn’t have even started on and probably there is no formula behind the amount granted and this is probably the root cause of the problem now. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes. Some difference in belief of how many businesses and their type are around and amount needed apparently. 

But the fact you now have more infections because he refused to do something he’s now been told to do a week later is seen as a positive job? Nowt as queer as folk 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep

• Site Supporter

It would be those people who work in sectors impacted such as hospitality etc that would be the measure? It I should say it should be the measure? But like most things recently I think it’s been fucked up by the government they’ve entered into a negotiation with liverpool city they shouldn’t have even started on and probably there is no formula behind the amount granted and this is probably the root cause of the problem now. 

I agree. That said, there would have been howls of derision from the same people if they'd done that. Cant blame them for trying to get cooperation, but its not worked.

23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thank you. So am amazingly this is all the governments fault. That’s fine you’re entitled to your opinion but we shall leave it there as I think that’s a truckload of horseshit. Burnham has played to the crowd and failed spectacularly to gain anything. The people of GM are worse off because of his actions. Just my opinion. 

Have a good evening. 

That reads like 

“...and needless to say I had the last laugh”

The people of GM are worse off cos of the govt. you know those who are “ruling”. 

Your issue with Burnham over “public horse trading” is fucking hilarious; they were forced down that route initially because the govt wouldn’t talk to them...so again your ire is in the wrong direction 

Actually it’s in the direction your bias wants it to be in.

”have a good evening”

8 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

But that's my point. Greater Manchester, a region with almost three million people and one of the country's busiest city centres is surely likely to require more funding than Lancashire with roughly half the population?

Almost twice the population, plus a busy city centre results in many more pubs, restaurants, etc.

The reported figures being asked for seem about right to me, and seemimgly the Tory leader of Bolton,council and some of the region's Tory MPs.

3 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

That reads like 

“...and needless to say I had the last laugh”

The people of GM are worse off cos of the govt. you know those who are “ruling”. 

Your issue with Burnham over “public horse trading” is fucking hilarious; they were forced down that route initially because the govt wouldn’t talk to them...so again your ire is in the wrong direction 

Actually it’s in the direction your bias wants it to be in.

”have a good evening”

Shouldn’t have been any talking in the first place. Public health emergency not a fireside chat about what we are doing for summer holidays or next weekend. So my ire is directed exactly where it should be thanks 

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree. That said, there would have been howls of derision from the same people if they'd done that. Cant blame them for trying to get cooperation, but its not worked.

After deals have been cracked with Liverpool, Lancashire and others, Burnham will look like the outlier