Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

He didn’t take anyone on. And if I was him I would be saying just that as losing a battle to this “shambles of a government “ isn’t what I would class as a badge of honour I would want to wear? 

And krankie hasn’t taken the government on. She’s just gone about her business in her own way. 

Scotland was always used as a guinea pig for the Tories in the past, no wonder they are totally despised in that part of the UK. Looks like the North of England are the new whipping boys.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But that's my point. Greater Manchester, a region with almost three million people and one of the country's busiest city centres is surely likely to require more funding than Lancashire with roughly half the population?

Almost twice the population, plus a busy city centre results in many more pubs, restaurants, etc.

The reported figures being asked for seem about right to me, and seemimgly the Tory leader of Bolton,council and some of the region's Tory MPs.

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t have got more money. What im saying is population isn’t the correct measure or why has Scotland not been given double? 

and I don’t think there was a formulaic approach to the first tranches of money otherwise it would have been easy to follow for those regions that followed therefore. 
It’s another fuck up basically and fumbling around in the dark 

7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Maybe we would have a bit more money to splash around if we weren't the poorest performing economy of the major industrialised nations? 

God knows why we've been affected so disproportionately 🙄

I was interested to see how the FTSE "recovery" compared to other major stock exchanges. Below are the index figures for 19 February 2020 (just before the COVID falls), then 19 October 2020 (now), then what % of the February 2020 figure it is currently at (as at 19 October).

The FTSE is miles behind. Paris is the only one fairly close in terms of weakness of recovery. The likes of USA, India, Japan, Germany are all back to over 90% of where they were pre-COVID. 

For (perhaps only my) interest, I've also put the % fall from 19 Feb 2020 to the lowest post-COVID close, to see how much they fell. Interestingly, the UK didn't fall as much as the likes of the Dow Jones, DAX, CAC - so it's not a case of having fallen the most, we have the largest amount to recover.

China bucks the trend... 💣

FTSE - 7,457 (Feb), 5,884 (Oct), 78.9% of Feb figure.  Fall  from Feb to lowest - 33.0%

Dow Jones (USA) - 29,232 (Feb), 28,195 (Oct), 96.5% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 35.4%

Nikkei (Japan) - 23,400 (Feb), 23,671 (Oct), 101.2% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 29.3%

DAX (Germany) - 13,789 (Feb), 12,854 (Oct), 93.2% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 38.8%

CAC (Paris) - 6,111 (Feb), 4,935 (Oct), 80.8% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 38.6%

Hang Seng (Hong Kong) - 27,655 (Feb), 24,542 (Oct), 88.7% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 21.5%

BSE (India) - 41,323 (Feb), 40,431 (Oct), 97.8% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 37.1%

SSE (Shanghai)* - 3,095 (20 Jan), 3,316 (21 Sept), 107.1% of Jan figure. Fall from Jan to lowest - 14%.

* the SSE figures are a month earlier, because the "crash" happened earlier in China. I've also pulled back the "recovery" by a month.

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t have got more money. What im saying is population isn’t the correct measure or why has Scotland not been given double? 

and I don’t think there was a formulaic approach to the first tranches of money otherwise it would have been easy to follow for those regions that followed therefore. 
It’s another fuck up basically and fumbling around in the dark 

My point isn't that population should be the measure, but that areas with higher populations will likely have more pubs, bars, restaurants, etc. and therefore will have more people working in the hospitality sector. 

Bearing that in mind, the reported figures being asked for don't seem unreasonable.

Scotland isn't currently subject to the tiering system, has a lower confirmed cases rate, and has its own devolved government.

6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

My point isn't that population should be the measure, but that areas with higher populations will likely have more pubs, bars, restaurants, etc. and therefore will have more people working in the hospitality sector. 

Bearing that in mind, the reported figures being asked for don't seem unreasonable.

Scotland isn't currently subject to the tiering system, has a lower confirmed cases rate, and has its own devolved government.

Yes we have a devolved government but funding comes from Westminster for covid etc. so we should get double if we are applying same logic?

• Site Supporter

Problem is now, the Tier 3 rules aren't going to be followed because of all this argumentative politics.

Then folk will say it doesn't work yet it might if you fucking stuck to it!

As an aside, we went to Blackpool for a night at the weekend that had been booked for ages ago. As we were staying within Lancashire we could go still. All precautions adhered to and the pleasure beach was dead so no queues at all for any rides, kids loved it and the missus got a much needed break from work.

Half the voices I heard in the park and hotel (at a socially distanced breakfast) were fucking scousers. Cunts.

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yes we have a devolved government but funding comes from Westminster for covid etc. so we should get double if we are applying same logic?

Possibly yes, but I'm not arguing that population is the one and only measure. Scotland isn't currently under Westminster's tiering system, and it's confirmed cases rate is much lower, so we're not comparing like for like. Many of the businesses in Greater Manchester have limped along for the last couple of months under fairly heavy restrictions, and are now being told to shut altogether or operate in a way which could end up being unviable.

It just strikes me that if it's determined that Lancashire should receive a total of 40m, and the Liverpool city region £51m then the figures being quoted for the whole of Greater Manchester seem fine to me.

3 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I was interested to see how the FTSE "recovery" compared to other major stock exchanges. Below are the index figures for 19 February 2020 (just before the COVID falls), then 19 October 2020 (now), then what % of the February 2020 figure it is currently at (as at 19 October).

The FTSE is miles behind. Paris is the only one fairly close in terms of weakness of recovery. The likes of USA, India, Japan, Germany are all back to over 90% of where they were pre-COVID. 

For (perhaps only my) interest, I've also put the % fall from 19 Feb 2020 to the lowest post-COVID close, to see how much they fell. Interestingly, the UK didn't fall as much as the likes of the Dow Jones, DAX, CAC - so it's not a case of having fallen the most, we have the largest amount to recover.

FTSE - 7,457 (Feb), 5,884 (Oct), 78.9% of Feb figure.  Fall  from Feb to lowest - 33.0%

Dow Jones (USA) - 29,232 (Feb), 28,195 (Oct), 96.5% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 35.4%

Nikkei (Japan) - 23,400 (Feb), 23,671 (Oct), 101.2% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 29.3%

DAX (Germany) - 13,789 (Feb), 12,854 (Oct), 93.2% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 38.8%

CAC (Paris) - 6,111 (Feb), 4,935 (Oct), 80.8% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 38.6%

Hang Seng (Hong Kong) - 27,655 (Feb), 24,542 (Oct), 88.7% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 21.5%

BSE (India) - 41,323 (Feb), 40,431 (Oct), 97.8% of Feb figure.  Fall from Feb to lowest - 37.1%

SSE (Shanghai)* - 3,095 (20 Jan), 3,316 (21 Sept), 107.1% of Jan figure. Fall from Jan to lowest - 14%.

* the SSE figures are a month earlier, because the "crash" happened earlier in China. I've also pulled back the "recovery" by a month.

You can put the weak ftse down to Brexit worries. 

24 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

You'd laugh. Then you stop. I hope this calls a halt to the idea that Boris Johnson is in anyway a leader, that he got in because the opposition was nothing more then a Michael Foot tribute act that even wpuld make the unemployed in Burnley vote for a idiot who cares nothing for public service other than this own ends if he waves a Union Jack (BTW I know Bolts) 

Its time for grown ups to be voted in - party alliance aside, but this government.... in modern history have you seen a more incompetent shambles. Makes the last days of Major look dignified.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, gonzo said:

See theyre coming after Burnham now on the socials. MP's and sources twisting the knife.

Bunch of cunts.

They need to be very very careful

My internet 5er is definitely on the reds winning the next election

And im not sure its gonna be full term

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You'd laugh. Then you stop. I hope this calls a halt to the idea that Boris Johnson is in anyway a leader, that he got in because the opposition was nothing more then a Michael Foot tribute act that even wpuld make the unemployed in Burnley vote for a idiot who cares nothing for public service other than this own ends if he waves a Union Jack (BTW I know Bolts) 

Its time for grown ups to be voted in - party alliance aside, but this government.... in modern history have you seen a more incompetent shambles. Makes the last days of Major look dignified.

so, for the 20th time, mr johnson

What are GM geting

Wiff waff, jvt, wiff waff erm erm fucking erm

3 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

For that to be a valid comparison you need to include how the relevant currency has moved too. 

( I have no idea if that will make case stronger or weaker btw) 

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I felt sorry for Major when his so called pals stabbed him in the back, still it got Labour in for a good few years under Tory Lite with Blair.