Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It might just be me......but the above doesn't make any sense. What are you asking us (or Martin Lewis) to do?

You can claim a bit of tax relief for the full year, no matter how long you have been WFH

Worth having 

Just now, boltondiver said:

You can claim a bit of tax relief for the full year, no matter how long you have been WFH

Worth having 

Indeed, both myself and Mrs Sweep had already claimed anyway. It's not a lot of money, but better than a poke in the eye 👍

• Site Supporter

A question:

My son has been WFH since mid-March. Is this tax relief for him, bearing in mind he doesn’t actually own a home? The only reason I ask is that I don’t want him to get to the end of the application and then find out you need to be a home owner.

13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Indeed, both myself and Mrs Sweep had already claimed anyway. It's not a lot of money, but better than a poke in the eye 👍

That you can claim for the full year seems to be the change.

Just now, MickyD said:

A question:

My son has been WFH since mid-March. Is this tax relief for him, bearing in mind he doesn’t actually own a home? The only reason I ask is that I don’t want him to get to the end of the application and then find out you need to be a home owner.

Yes, it is. 

Pretty sure

@Biggish Dave

• Moderators
Just now, boltondiver said:

That you can claim for the full year seems to be the change.

I'm guessing most people working from home are net winners in terms of money and time

The countries skint

Here, have some tax back

Ah, well

49 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

The opposing view is simple I think - there isn't a scientist in the country who believes that the Tier 3 restrictions will be sufficient in getting the R rate below one. Therefore the epidemic in those places will only ever level off, and the restrictions will be permanently in place until there's a vaccine.

The idea with a short lockdown is to reset the clock to August and try again to keep the virus down with contact tracing and better border controls.

Jury might be out on the latter, but given no-one expects Plan A to work - I'd say persuing it is just wasting time.

That doesn’t answer my question. 

Let me simplify 

tier 3 businesses get x from government. They continue to “trade” and get y income. So total x plus y

lockdown they still get x. No “trade” so no y. So they now have x income. 

yet that’s more financially viable than tier 3? People wrongly believe lockdown comes with the same level of support we saw previously. My point is as far as all available information suggests that isn’t going to be the case. What they get now is what they get. 

so I shall ask again. What do people think makes lockdown more financially viable for the businesses affected by tier 3 restrictions currently? 

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

To which bit?

To whether he can claim

if you go to the HMRC website, I haven’t been all the way through, but the qualifications haven’t included being a homeowner. Takes about 10 minutes to set up a gateway ID

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

That doesn’t answer my question. 

Let me simplify 

tier 3 businesses get x from government. They continue to “trade” and get y income. So total x plus y

lockdown they still get x. No “trade” so no y. So they now have x income. 

yet that’s more financially viable than tier 3? People wrongly believe lockdown comes with the same level of support we saw previously. My point is as far as all available information suggests that isn’t going to be the case. What they get now is what they get. 

so I shall ask again. What do people think makes lockdown more financially viable for the businesses affected by tier 3 restrictions currently? 

They are making it up?

3 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

They are making it up?

I just don’t think people actually realise there is no more support. Scream shout shake it all about it ain’t making a difference. We have nowt left. 

Some people don’t want tier 3 not enough money Offered 

Some don’t want lockdown but will take it over tier 3 and some are calling For it as there is a misperception more money will come. Wrong

Some want to crack on but don’t want their old relatives to die.

somebody try and please everyone. Impossible. 

• Moderators

meant to be going watching Zog at the Lowry, originally in October, I think]

anyway, they moved it to end of Feb

now they've moved it again to start of July

reckon will be lucky if it doesn't get moved again

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

They are but better having a short lockdown now than a longer one later.

Linking it with school half term whilst curtailing halloween and bonfire night events is also a good idea IMO.

It is the choice of each nation, as you say, but a full UK one would have been most effective.

Unfortunately, we dont know that for sure. Perhaps more effective at slowing rates initially, so long as full compliance. But longer term, no one knows.

An alternate view is live with some degree of restriction but have a semblance of normality. 

Majority of countries are going the local route (certainly initially), and there must be a reason for it.

Weirdly, I've got a slight feeling that mask wearing and requisite measures are actually starting to rise a little.

Was in a place yesterday and a chap didn't have his covering his nose. Staff member firmly told him to pull it up.

Just this afternoon, called into a butchers. Signs all over making it quite clear that a mask was needed for service.

Hopefully its beginning to dawn on more folk that these rules are there for a reason.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

Nonsense. He said in PMQ's that the Tier 3 restrictions are ineffective and cause economic harm without getting the virus under control.  Hard to argue with that on the evidence so far.  The whole principle of a short circuit breaker is to allow the NHS to re-group and reduce the R rate.

How the hell does he know?

Only had them for a few days. 

OK sage arent quite so sure of the effectiveness, but their recommendations are also, out of necessity, caveated as their primary focus in on the virus, as it should be.

None of us know yet as to the potential effectiveness. 

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Same for smokers, alchys and fat bastards eh. You do chat some shite. 

I have to agree with him. If a group are told To shield and they choose not to they should be exempt from treatment or at least told they will be bottom of the list should there be a shortage of beds.

It’s a life choice they are making but why should we pick up the pieces cos someone doesn’t want to sit at home despite being high risk? 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yep her choice and fair play to her for that. I may well make the same choice if I was at her age. But if she gets it and a shortage of beds she shouldn’t get a bed. Simple. 

Some merits to this.

I do sometimes wonder if they consider the impact their action could have on the poor buggers who have to treat them then hold their hand as they die. And family members. 

Very difficult situation though. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Some merits to this.

I do sometimes wonder if they consider the impact their action could have on the poor buggers who have to treat them then hold their hand as they die. And family members. 

Very difficult situation though. 

My missus’ grand parents have both said they won’t shield and won’t lockdown. He had cancer 18 months ago and both have a daily cocktail of tablets that keep them going so if they get it they’re goners in reality. 

They’ve been sat down and had this explained to them and that if they choose to do this and ignore the advice the probability is they won’t survive. They both said yes they know this but would rather they have the choice and this is their choice. 

that’s fine and I said fair play to them.  But I don’t want to be responsible for giving it them so I will respectfully be staying away and my missus has said the same. If they want to go out and about that’s upto them