Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

48 minutes ago, MickyD said:

A question:

My son has been WFH since mid-March. Is this tax relief for him, bearing in mind he doesn’t actually own a home? The only reason I ask is that I don’t want him to get to the end of the application and then find out you need to be a home owner.

Yes 

£6 a week tax break, you only get the tax back though 

I.e £6 a week = £1.20 a week back if your on 20% tax, £2.40 a week if your on 40% 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

My missus’ grand parents have both said they won’t shield and won’t lockdown. He had cancer 18 months ago and both have a daily cocktail of tablets that keep them going so if they get it they’re goners in reality. 

They’ve been sat down and had this explained to them and that if they choose to do this and ignore the advice the probability is they won’t survive. They both said yes they know this but would rather they have the choice and this is their choice. 

that’s fine and I said fair play to them.  But I don’t want to be responsible for giving it them so I will respectfully be staying away and my missus has said the same. If they want to go out and about that’s upto them 

Aye. Cant stop them. Thats what I mean about the position it puts family in. If one cops for it, she'll still feel terrible and maybe even guilty, irrespective of whether she should or not.

• Moderators

has this been posted already?

Bolton council breaks ranks over Greater Manchester support package

Tory-run council begins negotiating bespoke deal after region’s 10 boroughs rejected £60m offer on Tuesday

Greater Manchester’s only Conservative-run council has begun negotiating a bespoke deal for its hospitality workers after the communities secretary, Robert Jenrick, invited the region’s leaders to come forward individually to claim their share of a £60m coronavirus relief package they all rejected on Tuesday.

Bolton’s leader, David Greenhalgh, infuriated his Labour counterparts after breaking ranks to say he was willing to look at a Bolton-only package.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/oct/21/andy-burnham-hits-out-greater-manchester-tory-mps-covid-negotiations?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yep her choice and fair play to her for that. I may well make the same choice if I was at her age. But if she gets it and a shortage of beds she shouldn’t get a bed. Simple. 

TBF, I think that's what was already happening back in April here and globally

beds / ICU / etc given to those more likely to survive

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

A question:

My son has been WFH since mid-March. Is this tax relief for him, bearing in mind he doesn’t actually own a home? The only reason I ask is that I don’t want him to get to the end of the application and then find out you need to be a home owner.

I would say it does apply yes

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Yep her choice and fair play to her for that. I may well make the same choice if I was at her age. But if she gets it and a shortage of beds she shouldn’t get a bed. Simple. 

Correct.

But, because of the potential societal consequences; is it her choice?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

....and then you get called a cunt for doing something that's legal or within the law, and some tell you that your going to die! All very dramatic.

I prefer facts myself, where is the virus spreading more quickly, amongst who, the young, over 40's, people who frequent the pub, or is it mainly spreading in education schools and colleges. How many hospital admissions, how many in ICU and what percentage of those that get it are admitted to hospital, those type of facts.

Starmer is being a nob thinking a 2 week lockdown is going to make any difference, and the government at the moment are now making shit up as they go along.

We just need some honesty all round before we all go fucking nuts.

We saw some graphs yesterday which showed cases by age group.

Can't remember for sure, but I think it was either Bolton or northwest as a whole that showed younger age groups not going up as quickly, whereas slightly older group starting to catch up.

Would imagine that's the sort of thing that rings alarm bells. More potential for admissions and deaths.

14 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

....and then you get called a cunt for doing something that's legal or within the law, and some tell you that your going to die! All very dramatic.

I prefer facts myself, where is the virus spreading more quickly, amongst who, the young, over 40's, people who frequent the pub, or is it mainly spreading in education schools and colleges. How many hospital admissions, how many in ICU and what percentage of those that get it are admitted to hospital, those type of facts.

Starmer is being a nob thinking a 2 week lockdown is going to make any difference, and the government at the moment are now making shit up as they go along.

We just need some honesty all round before we all go fucking nuts.

As of roughly a fortnight ago it was estimated that schools and universities were responsible for the highest increase in the R number (about 0.3 to 0.4).

8 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

So they've traded off some of the  Leisure and hospitality sector to look as though they are doing something 😏

Remember what most on here we’re calling for around May time? Schools to reopen. That was the key focus. They gave that and are sticking to it. Something has to give somewhere as a trade off sadly. 
personally I would say shut schools and universities and open the pubs and the restaurants so I can go about my life as I was before thank you very much. Not my problem 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Same for smokers, alchys and fat bastards eh. You do chat some shite. 

You constantly claim some sort of moral high ground on Brexit - saying you voted to leave because it’s for the common good, even though 48% of people didn’t agree.

Fair dinkum, vote won, we leave and crack on. And we all hope your wisdom and social care for us all is rewarded.

And yet, something comes along on Covid that doesn’t fit in with your world view/need to drink lager in Spain, and suddenly everyone is a cunt and they’re wrong and it’s bollocks.

Forthnately, these decisions are made regardless of your opinion and a good job too.

As you constantly point out, it’s a democracy, it is what it fucking well is, so let’s all move on.

I've just witnessed the selfish "fuck you, I'll do what I do" attitude first hand, but from someone that would think wants others to be considerate of his situation. Old retired fella in my local, he's in everyday and is a sound guy, I thought til now. He had a fairly bad heart attack last year and got some infection (I don't claim to know the full details) whilst having treatment which has left him unable to manage more than a few steps and not in the greatest of health since. I was speaking to him a couple weeks ago and asked, genuinely, if it was a good idea him still coming in the boozer. His response was along the lines of, it's a risk but my risk to decide to take. Fair enough on that front. 

Turned up for a pint after work today and he's sat there in his usual spot but as I'm ordering my pint I'm told he's just let slip that his niece, that helps him at his home everyday, has tested positive and he's waiting for his result back. 

I understand that the highlight of his day is a few hours in the pub but the selfishness of that seems pretty astounding to me. Especially from someone within the group that we're all trying to protect. What chance is there with attitudes like that. 

13 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Drove past the Little Vic in slab town earlier, do they serve food? Looked pretty busy to me...

Tier 3 starts midnight tomorrow 

33 minutes ago, Spider said:

You constantly claim some sort of moral high ground on Brexit - saying you voted to leave because it’s for the common good, even though 48% of people didn’t agree.

Fair dinkum, vote won, we leave and crack on. And we all hope your wisdom and social care for us all is rewarded.

And yet, something comes along on Covid that doesn’t fit in with your world view/need to drink lager in Spain, and suddenly everyone is a cunt and they’re wrong and it’s bollocks.

Forthnately, these decisions are made regardless of your opinion and a good job too.

As you constantly point out, it’s a democracy, it is what it fucking well is, so let’s all move on.

WTF you waffling on about. You’ve completely lost the plot.

Edited by Mounts Kipper