Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

A good bit on vaccines and the effect they'll have here:

Quite interesting reading. I'be said for a while, I just can't see a vaccine being available, for the masses for 6 or 7 months... And then it'll take another 12-18 months before we can get everyone vaccinated. It's certainly not going to be a quick process, sadly.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

They shouldn't have to trade off anything, and they shouldn't punish an employment sector that's not contributing to covid massively, they have classed pubs because they fucked up with the 10pm closing time and made it worse as it created more crowds soon as 10pm struck. Fucking mental.

I'm happy for schools to be back, we have to live with this, do the basics and be responsible. There will always be irresponsible people in every country around the world, there's fuck all we can do about it, but dont punish the majority, it's starting to feel like a dictatorship.

It’s contributing to covid case numbers more than gyms are and look which were opened first? 

it needs to be more like a dictatorship for me sadly because of the actions of the minority. Either that or hard line enforcement which would be my preference personally. Get the scrotes and scutters and hit them where it hurts. And keep doing it and doing it harder and harder. 

55 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Remember what most on here we’re calling for around May time? Schools to reopen. That was the key focus. They gave that and are sticking to it. Something has to give somewhere as a trade off sadly. 
personally I would say shut schools and universities and open the pubs and the restaurants so I can go about my life as I was before thank you very much. Not my problem 

Main problem is with that is childcare. 

The economy cant work without kids in school.

For me soon as they opened schools and universities they said goodbye to controlling this virus. Shutting down hospitality and elsewhere is like throwing a glass of water on grenfell tower.

Wont stop fuck all.

Just now, gonzo said:

Main problem is with that is childcare. 

The economy cant work without kids in school.

For me soon as they opened schools and universities they said goodbye to controlling this virus. Shutting down hospitality and elsewhere is like throwing a glass of water on grenfell tower.

Wont stop fuck all.

I was playing devils advocate mate. And I don’t think shutting pubs is going to make much of a difference either and I’m pissed off about it for selfish reasons.  I want my life back to what it was ASAP.

8 pints in the pub and a bag on a Sunday afternoon watching the football with sound on the tele can’t come quick enough 

• Site Supporter

Seeing as this twatting virus is spread by close contact indoors then surely the most likely places you are going to get it as a healthy person is in school/college for kids and pubs/clubs/restaurants for adults?

I mean away from hospitals and care homes obviously that were massively hit on the 1st wave.

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

That doesn’t answer my question. 

Let me simplify 

tier 3 businesses get x from government. They continue to “trade” and get y income. So total x plus y

lockdown they still get x. No “trade” so no y. So they now have x income. 

yet that’s more financially viable than tier 3? People wrongly believe lockdown comes with the same level of support we saw previously. My point is as far as all available information suggests that isn’t going to be the case. What they get now is what they get. 

so I shall ask again. What do people think makes lockdown more financially viable for the businesses affected by tier 3 restrictions currently? 

I don't think it's as hard to understand as you're making out. One is backed by the scientists as a way to get R below 1, one isn't. 

Whitty said it, the bloke from Sage said it again today - nobody actually believes that the Tier 3 restrictions are enough to get the virus under control, at best they'll maintain it at the level it is. So it's either further restrictions on top of that, or no region is ever coming out of Tier 3.

If your business is unviable in Tier 3 anyway (as 1,000s will be), you might as well pick the circuit break in the hope it's actually effective.

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Quite interesting reading. I'be said for a while, I just can't see a vaccine being available, for the masses for 6 or 7 months... And then it'll take another 12-18 months before we can get everyone vaccinated. It's certainly not going to be a quick process, sadly.

Indeed, but it reads to me that we won't be getting everyone vaccinated, just as many of the vulnerable, or potentially vulnerable, as possible. Even then it won't prevent infection in all cases, but I think what it will do is reduce the death rate substantially and result in COVID becoming similar (in terms of deaths, hospitalisations, etc.) to a form of seasonal flu.

(I know it's a coronavirus and not a flu, but you get my gist)

8 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I don't think it's as hard to understand as you're making out. One is backed by the scientists as a way to get R below 1, one isn't. 

Whitty said it, the bloke from Sage said it again today - nobody actually believes that the Tier 3 restrictions are enough to get the virus under control, at best they'll maintain it at the level it is. So it's either further restrictions on top of that, or no region is ever coming out of Tier 3.

If your business is unviable in Tier 3 anyway (as 1,000s will be), you might as well pick the circuit break in the hope it's actually effective.

That isn’t why people are wanting to go into full lockdown over tier 3 from what I’ve seen from the business owners. They believe it will financially be better for them.  They believe the government will give more money under lockdown. 

7 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Thank Boby. Hopefully someone can give us the opposing view and let us know what they know that we don’t that makes lockdown financially more viable for all these business impacted by tier 3 cos I haven’t seen anything to back up that view point as yet 

That was the question I was answering - nothing about different levels of support, just an answer to why anyone would feel it might be better financially for their business. To which the answer is that short term pain could be better than guaranteeing long term ruin.

Out of interest, does anyone think we won't end up having a lockdown/circuit breaker eventually anyway?

3 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

That was the question I was answering - nothing about different levels of support, just an answer to why anyone would feel it might be better financially for their business. To which the answer is that short term pain could be better than guaranteeing long term ruin.

Out of interest, does anyone think we won't end up having a lockdown/circuit breaker eventually anyway?

I think there have been a couple of posters on here suggesting that it is because they believe there will be more money available. I’m not saying all but there are definitely a number of businesses that believe that and it’s not going to happen 

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

They shouldn't have to trade off anything, and they shouldn't punish an employment sector that's not contributing to covid massively, they have classed pubs because they fucked up with the 10pm closing time and made it worse as it created more crowds soon as 10pm struck. Fucking mental.

I'm happy for schools to be back, we have to live with this, do the basics and be responsible. There will always be irresponsible people in every country around the world, there's fuck all we can do about it, but dont punish the majority, it's starting to feel like a dictatorship.

Copied from what I have just posted on my union's facebook page..

"Bars - unsafe, clubs - unsafe, restaurants - unsafe, meeting in groups - unsafe, meeting outside - unsafe. So schools were you you can meet in groups, talk with friends and carry on some variant of normality are safe.. why?? Well it's down to us and just us, the school workers. Parents are grateful, kids will be grateful and we're doing something that nobody else can at the moment, giving kids some sense of normality. It's above and beyond, it's crap, we're all shattered, but we're making the difference though. Focus on the positives as it's all we can do.. It can't rain all the time. FWIW my friends just been laid off yesterday, she's worrying about how she is going to get past the end of November financially, there are people in far worse positions."

see what replies I get, but it's true. It's a risk to me, but it's making things as normal as we can. 

Kids are superspreaders but if the economy goes tit's up we're goosed. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

That's being honest, which is more than I can say about our politicians at the moment, a lot of stuff is hypocrisy. We can pick holes in everything and nothing is making sense, I feel the masses are getting mightily pissed off.

Right at the beginning, you may remember Chris Whitty explaining the principles of coming out of lockdown. It was about a bit here and a bit there. Bit like 'marginal gains' in cycling.

As they do it, and learn from what works, that informs policy.

Balance that with the economy and its a tough gig.

We're no exception as a nation, but the ones with a population that respect the situation and do their bit, are the ones that will come out of it quicker. Or have a savagely authoritarian regime that cares less for its people's rights.

I have a lot of sympathy for teachers as Swanny regularly points out, as it seems unreasonable that pupils and teachers aren't masked up.

Schools need to be open as much as possible, but health and safety law must surely allow a teacher to say fuck this, I'm wearing one.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

In summary

Absolutely fucking no one knows what’s best.

Close the schools and uni's and kids are missing out on education and putting their lives at a massive disadvantage and fucking them over for years to come.

Keep them open and close other areas of life and its fucks the economy and puts their lives at massive disadvantage and fucks them and everyone else over for years to come.

We need to cull old people.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Close the schools and uni's and kids are missing out on education and putting their lives at a massive disadvantage and fucking them over for years to come.

Keep them open and close other areas of life and its fucks the economy and puts their lives at massive disadvantage and fucks them and everyone else over for years to come.

We need to cull old people.

Be a bit quiet on here if we did though?

Whilst somewhat draconian, there probably is merit to having people "put to sleep" once they reach 70yrs old. We don't have to do it forever, just a year or two. Stick to a date, say all those 70 and over on 1st November 2020, have to give there lives for the good of the nation

It'll relieve the burden on the NHS and free up housing.

As compensation, they get their funeral paid for by the government, and the relatives don't have to pay any inheritance tax.

It sounds crazy, but its got to be worth consideration