Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Wearing masks didn’t work, then

I guess we'll never really know. It doesn't hurt anybody or cause any problems, so it doesn't really matter either way.

For what it's worth, I suspect we'll be expected to be wearing masks, as we are now, for at lest the next twelve months no matter what happens

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

I guess we'll never really know. It doesn't hurt anybody or cause any problems, so it doesn't really matter either way.

For what it's worth, I suspect we'll be expected to be wearing masks, as we are now, for at lest the next twelve months no matter what happens

Yes, at least

Mental health cases will increase

Suicide will increase

Cancer deaths will increase

Unemployment will increase

Poverty will increase

Business bankruptcy will increase

What won’t happen: virus disappearing

Just now, Tombwfc said:

As a single method to control the virus? Did anyone say it would?

No, I'm not sure anybody did. I think it had helped keep the number down, but I guess some, like BD don't think it's made much of a difference. As I said above, we'll never really know either way

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

Operation Hibernation being given the half arsed treatment again.

We need to look at China, not Sweden, for the biggest clue on how to deal with it.

3 weeks to plan

3 weeks to execute

Merry xmas

Agreed. Invent the virus and have a vaccine ready to go once the rest of the world collapses. Not as daft as they look the kitchen sinks 

• Members
6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Lockdown didn’t work last time and it won’t work now. The virus is shit, yes it’s getting out of control but we have to live through it as safely as possible.

Locking down will cause far more problems than it will solve. 

Think it’s more to stop the hospitals getting overwhelmed 

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Lockdown didn’t work last time and it won’t work now. The virus is shit, yes it’s getting out of control but we have to live through it as safely as possible.

Locking down will cause far more problems than it will solve. 

It absolutely did work in reducing the rate of infection. Whether or not we should or shouldn't lock down is another matter, but it did do what it was intended to do - reduce transmission.

4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It absolutely did work in reducing the rate of infection. Whether or not we should or shouldn't lock down is another matter, but it did do what it was intended to do - reduce transmission.

It didn’t “absolutely”

That isn’t a fact

1 hour ago, Tombwfc said:

Why? It's been asked and answered on a daily basis for the past eight months. If you need still to ask it at this point, nothing I say is going to stop you asking it again in a months time. 

66,000 excess deaths in the year to date. Hospitals filling up and deaths rising in sync with positive cases. It's a fucking massive coincidence if it's not COVID making people ill.

If you look back at previous pandemics over the past 50 years then when you have a lot of excess deaths in one year the following years tend to be much lower 

I believe they tend to look at a 5 year rolling average for the measure 

Thus, if you ended up with 500k excess deaths this year then the likelihood is that the next 4 years would be significantly below average and the 5 year rolling excess deaths figure would be much lower than 500k 

The average Covid death is 82, already beyond life expectancy (81) 

And everyone took the piss when I'm.out Xmas shopping.... Last shop today and then I'm done. Boom, as they say. Bring on that lockdown, makes bog all difference to me at the moment, no family nearby, friends all over London so will see them when we can as we did over summer. If it saves Xmas and means my.mum and dad might have half a chance to get down for Xmas day, I'm all for it.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Non wearing didn't.

But there not only aerosol transmission. Too many forget about touching contaminated surfaces, including potentially the outer surface of a mask.

Apparently surface transmission was grossly overstated at the beginning, as they didn't know, like touching a surface when someone has a cold isn't a huge thing. Aerosol transmission for a high viral load is the key.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Non wearing didn't.

But there not only aerosol transmission. Too many forget about touching contaminated surfaces, including potentially the outer surface of a mask.

In the pubs; mask on to the table, mask on table, mask on to toilet, back from the toilet, mask on table.

Repeat to fade

Makes me wonder if we should have gone down a road of having a serious of much shorter / stricter lockdowns with solid periods of business as usual in between

I.e 10 weeks business as usual, 3 weeks lockdown (Vulnerable groups potentially start their lockdown a week or two earlier)

shorter harsher lockdowns would hopefully flatten the curve enough with businesses and the economy hopefully able to pick the lost revenue in the between period 

If a system / rhythm could have been agreed across the continent it would have meant things like the travel industry weren’t so badly effected

When I say business as usual you’d still wear masks and follow other measures that aren’t detrimental to the economy 

Going late and then having a 3 month lockdown put pay to that as a viable option though 

• Site Supporter

Would be people police themselves better if the NHS was over stretched to the point they couldn’t accept any more patients through Covid? Absolutely.

i maintain it didn’t work last time - it bought time for Covid but it hasn’t worked. How many of these excess deaths are down to cancer, dementia etc that otherwise would have been treated, slowed etc. 

My opinion, and if I’m on my own here, still doesn’t make me wrong or right - but we are going far too overboard trying to sort 1 illness but letting many more run riot unchecked. The balance is way out