Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

These are the positive tests though, decision today is based upon other things like ons data suggesting cases are much higher and projections of hospitalisations and deaths.

North east does show some flattening, and it maybe that tier 3 would work eventually, but doesn't appear to be doing so quickly enough.

Yes of course. The data on the R rate also showed that it was reducing though. My point being that it’s an almost impossible decision to make with conflicting statistical evidence.

• Site Supporter

I’m going to fly in the face of a lot of negativity here and say that this lockdown will work, it will suppress the numbers and maybe give us a chance at a half decent Christmas.

The aim - politics and opinions aside - is to just keep the virus from fucking us very very hard.

This should be enough for that.

I don’t think they’re dealing with it very well, but they still get the benefit of the doubt to a certain degree because it’s a right cunt of a situation. It’s not Brexit.

• Members
1 minute ago, Spider said:

I’m going to fly in the face of a lot of negativity here and say that this lockdown will work, it will suppress the numbers and maybe give us a chance at a half decent Christmas.

The aim - politics and opinions aside - is to just keep the virus from fucking us very very hard.

This should be enough for that.

I don’t think they’re dealing with it very well, but they still get the benefit of the doubt to a certain degree because it’s a right cunt of a situation. It’s not Brexit.

Spider please it’s not the time or the place for positivity 

Either post tits or shut it

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Yes. But built up hospital capacity, extra nightingales, sequestrate private hospitals, and used the track n trace money on extending ICU bed capacity. 

Not so long ago you didn't think we'd need the nightingales

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Waiting for an announcement on grassroots 

if schools are open then absolutely no point in stopping this 

35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I am. Id be letting ride if it was up to me. We're just going to end up back in the same place next time restrictions are relaxed.

However if they are going to fanny about with tiers and strangle businesses and bollocks everyones heads with different rules and contradictory bullshit then they may as well crack on lockdown proper and pay the money.

Everyone knows what theyre meant to be doing and we can get these made up figures down so we can all at least have some kind of xmas ready for the cycle to start all over again and we end up back to now in February.

And this is the confusion it leaves us with. 

I’d have preferred a tier 2 middle ground approach, allowing certain freedoms, most places open, but with restrictions and sanctions in place for those who can’t stick to rules. But of course this is dependent on some key givens; people follow rules, establishments follow protocols and there is enough law enforcement to punish those who don’t. 

But this unfortunately has proven to be both difficult and not sufficient in bringing the infection rates/hospital admission/death rates down.

If we are now saying the only way to do this is by a lockdown, then fine, make it a proper lockdown, otherwise folk are just going to question and find loopholes in the system. 

And if that means closing schools/Unis, then I’m afraid we do it. We go back to home/virtual/online learning for a few weeks (by far from ideal, but which is actually so much better than it was 6 months ago) and we cut off a key part of the population mixing and protect more people from catching the virus.

Otherwise (and quite naturally) Parents and kids will say well it doesn’t make sense, if we can mix with hundreds at school, on the bus, walking home and I’m more susceptible to the virus here,  then I don’t see why I can’t do x,y,z and on and on and on........

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Woah not at all. Im just saying folk keep blaming the rise on folk not obeying rules when in reality its mainly down to relaxation of rules and the contradictory mish mash of rules currently in place.

Whats happening now was always going to happen. I agree with the current decision, the half in half out bollocks doesnt work and either does wearing masks.

Its just two weeks too late imo.

Id be keeping gyms open though. Theyre safer than supermarkets and as necessary.

I’m not having this gyms are necessary crap

12 minutes ago, royal white said:

I’m not having this gyms are necessary crap

gyms must be one of the worst places to catch it, no fucker ever cleans equipmet after themselves

all grunting and spitting lifting 5k weights

Edited by L/H White

11 minutes ago, L/H White said:

gyms must be one of the worst places to catch it, no fucker ever cleans equipmet after themselves

all grunting and spitting lifting 5k weights

Absolutely spotless at mine, spend easily 20 minutes per session just cleaning stuff.

• Moderators
Just now, Marc505 said:

Absolutely spotless at mine, spend easily 20 minutes per session just cleaning stuff.

Same here

There's even someone walking round with a spray gun pointing it at whatever is not being used

Safest cleanest place i go these days

Saying gyms arent important, just exercise outside (in November?!) just go for a run etc etc is utter ignorant, inconsiderate bullshit. Not everyone can, wants to, or feels comfortable taking to the streets to exercise. If they did, they wouldn't be complaining the gyms are shut.

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Saying pubs arent important, just drink outside (in November?!) just go for a meal etc etc is utter ignorant, inconsiderate bullshit. Not everyone can, wants to, or feels comfortable taking to the streets to intoxicate. If they did, they wouldn't be complaining the pubs are shut.

👍 EFA

Edited by boogs
Forgot to point out the edit

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Saying gyms arent important, just exercise outside (in November?!) just go for a run etc etc is utter ignorant, inconsiderate bullshit. Not everyone can, wants to, or feels comfortable taking to the streets to exercise. If they did, they wouldn't be complaining the gyms are shut.

Well guess what I don’t want to drink at home so open the boozers, my missus doesn’t want to shop online so open the Trafford. My dad doesn’t want to gamble online so open the bookies 

18 minutes ago, royal white said:

Well guess what I don’t want to drink at home so open the boozers, my missus doesn’t want to shop online so open the Trafford. My dad doesn’t want to gamble online so open the bookies 

Can for me, in my experience so far all three of those types of establishment have proven they can operate safely and cleanly. But I wouldn't rank getting pissed, shopping or gambling alongside trying to keep physically fit.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, royal white said:

I think you make a good point - and that’s coming from someone who goes 2/3 times a week. 

We have to find a different way, just like the examples you mention, just for a few weeks.

I keep saying it we can’t have a bit of this, bit of that, but not this or not that. 

If we are saying a lockdown is needed, then if something can be done from home/outside then we do it.

1 minute ago, desperado said:

I think you make a good point - and that’s coming from someone who goes 2/3 times a week. 

We have to find a different way, just like the examples you mention, just for a few weeks.

I keep saying it we can’t have a bit of this, bit of that, but not this or not that. 

If we are saying a lockdown is needed, then if something can be done from home/outside then we do it.

I’ve just joined my local gym near where I work (which isn’t cheap) so I’m as pissed odd as anyone. However I feel Keeping open gyms will then lead onto keeping open X then Y then Z and it all goes to shit again. 

7 minutes ago, desperado said:

fully agree.

if we're gonna lockdown, do it properly