Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

45 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Wouldn't mind betting that hospitality  accounts for less than 5% of covid cases

Not sure it’s that low but people visiting other households are a much bigger spreader. It’s easier controlling the spread by closing hospitality though and it’s proved to be working. At a cost though. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Wouldn't mind betting that hospitality  accounts for less than 5% of covid cases

Think it's generally accepted the bottom bull sent Bolton into its own lockdown?

Shite that other areas of Bolton had to follow suit mind

Edited by ZicoKelly

4 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Cases have been coming down fairly sharply in Tier 3 areas, and the current national lockdown. What's closed that's accounting for the other 95%?

7 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Cases have been coming down fairly sharply in Tier 3 areas, and the current national lockdown. What's closed that's accounting for the other 95%?

Er nothing. Like someone said earlier, hospitality has become the sacrificial lamb so that other places can remain open.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

I think it’s established really that comparing countries with smaller (and more obedient) populations isn’t really a fair barometer.

Seems most Swiss have taken it upon themselves to “behave”:

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/11/10/coronavirus-switzerland-is-choosing-austerity-over-life/

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I think it’s established really that comparing countries with smaller (and more obedient) populations isn’t really a fair barometer.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/11/10/coronavirus-switzerland-is-choosing-austerity-over-life/

You can compare countries when it backs up your point of view 

Victoria in Oz, 31 covid free days in a row

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’d have thought the ban on mixing with others inside is the main one that’s bringing the R number down 

Just mixing in general.

I know many don’t agree, but something has to give somewhere.

Said from the start that I’d rather pubs close than schools. Don’t like it, but I value my kids education and mental wellbeing above a pint.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

We cannot even compare areas within countries as we have seen with the tiering system. The north and south of England are clearly different.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Er nothing. Like someone said earlier, hospitality has become the sacrificial lamb so that other places can remain open.

But you couldn't do that, if closing hospitality had next to no impact on transmission, which is what you were suggesting.

They needed to find out what could bring the R under one, while keeping schools and (most) workplaces open. Closing hospitality, shops and banning household mixing has clearly worked in doiing that.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Spider said:

Didn’t they have a lockdown not far off the Wuhan model?

think it was as strict as they come without welding doors shut

that combined with a general "fuck it whatever" laid-back and relaxed attitude to life got them through it