Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter

Every country is struggling

Even Sweden.

The ones that are struggling the least have had draconian and swift lockdowns.

Australia. Brisbane is going into lockdown on the strength of ONE positive case. Hands up if anyone thinks it will now get out of control in Brisbane? Thought not.

Bottom line, it’s a cunt is Covid.

Until we’re vaccinated, nowt else is proven effective.

Just now, Ani said:

What solutions ? 

You say no lockdown might have doubled numbers. (I know it is a guess). Nearly 2m dead across the world. So no lockdowns would kill 2m people, so far. 

To keep the vulnerable away from the rest.

It doesn’t matter, we’ll get to where we get to and history will judge who did the best things.

1 minute ago, Spider said:

Every country is struggling

Even Sweden.

The ones that are struggling the least have had draconian and swift lockdowns.

Australia. Brisbane is going into lockdown on the strength of ONE positive case. Hands up if anyone thinks it will now get out of control in Brisbane? Thought not.

Bottom line, it’s a cunt is Covid.

Until we’re vaccinated, nowt else is proven effective.

Indeed

Just now, boltondiver said:

To keep the vulnerable away from the rest.

It doesn’t matter, we’ll get to where we get to and history will judge who did the best things.

Thing is mate I won’t be looking back. I will be living my life to the absolute fucking full. Other people’s can launch the witch-hunt and comparisons.  😁

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Why did infections drop in the summer ? 

Why didn’t they pick up in the summer with all the interactions, eat out, BLM etc?

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Thing is mate I won’t be looking back. I will be living my life to the absolute fucking full. Other people’s can launch the witch-hunt and comparisons.  😁

Too fuckin right

2 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

That’s fine

there isn’t lots of evidence that I can see, but always happy to be proven wrong.

We’re all amateur observers in this

You're right. We are amateurs. But the professionals say they do work. I'll go with that. Interesting to know why you don't.

• Members
1 minute ago, little whitt said:

all them that are dieing most over 60

y the fuck did they not stay at home with there door locked 

95% now where mask how is it geting about ???

My patients are housebound and have still got it. Its usually the carers, family members, health care professionals that pass it on. 

1 minute ago, little whitt said:

all them that are dieing most over 60

y the fuck did they not stay at home with there door locked 

95% now where mask how is it geting about ???

Surfaces. Stuff in supermarkets infected by folk who won’t stay at home. People going to work because they’ve no choice sadly. Loads of reasons. 

also I’m sure it’s now impacting under 60’s quite badly im reading?

ive just got a text now to say my mates mum and dad are both now in icu with covid. Dad went in weds and mum has followed him this afternoon. Both had Xmas with the family when restrictions were relaxed. Family are now pointing fingers as to who’s at fault. Sad times. 

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Why didn’t they pick up in the summer with all the interactions, eat out, BLM etc?

We had loads of infections

We locked down. 

Infections dropped. 

We left lockdown

Infections went up. 

There was stuff on radio last week that rather than a few big events causing the spread it is the gradual relaxation of social distancing that causes the issues. So it ain’t 30k people sitting on Bournemouth beech it is people every day doing a couple of things. 
. I do think we have been incredibly unlucky how quickly it has taken off am sure given the time again decisions around care homes would be different. 

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

That it is, substantively, a seasonal respiratory disease.

You can, run, but you can’t hide.

Various restrictions have been tried, but hardly any have worked.

Cannot agree whatsoever. 

We had the warmest/driest spring that started early. 

We went into lockdown in March around about the time the weather became splendid.

It took that period to get the numbers down, without doing so the numbers would have carried on Northwards, despite the good weather.

OK, the weather will help in terms of slowing an increase, but to use that as justifying it as a seasonal condition is surely understating this disease massively. 

It is also possible that without a lockdown, many more gatherings would have happened and we'd have been up shit creek earlier.

The gradual opening up is probable testament to that: despite it being a slow opening, case rates did start to rise and then came school opening which added to the spread.

It is unfortunate that only severe tier levels have shown an ability to slow and start to reduce the spread, and that lockdowns have been needed to check it quickly. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Surfaces. Stuff in supermarkets infected by folk who won’t stay at home. People going to work because they’ve no choice sadly. Loads of reasons. 

also I’m sure it’s now impacting under 60’s quite badly im reading?

ive just got a text now to say my mates mum and dad are both now in icu with covid. Dad went in weds and mum has followed him this afternoon. Both had Xmas with the family when restrictions were relaxed. Family are now pointing fingers as to who’s at fault. Sad times. 

Look at @Rudy

Fit lad in his 40’s and even he’s struggling today.

One of the girls at my missus place is in a shit state and she’s 32.

6 minutes ago, Underpants said:

You're right. We are amateurs. But the professionals say they do work. I'll go with that. Interesting to know why you don't.

I’m not sure I’ve seen any justification that they have worked.

But once you have used a tool in your armoury then it might be viewed badly if you don’t reach for it again.

Have we reached for lockdown too readily? In my view, probably.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Cannot agree whatsoever. 

We had the warmest/driest spring that started early. 

We went into lockdown in March around about the time the weather became splendid.

It took that period to get the numbers down, without doing so the numbers would have carried on Northwards, despite the good weather.

OK, the weather will help in terms of slowing an increase, but to use that as justifying it as a seasonal condition is surely understating this disease massively. 

It is also possible that without a lockdown, many more gatherings would have happened and we'd have been up shit creek earlier.

The gradual opening up is probable testament to that: despite it being a slow opening, case rates did start to rise and then came school opening which added to the spread.

It is unfortunate that only severe tier levels have shown an ability to slow and start to reduce the spread, and that lockdowns have been needed to check it quickly. 

Look at the graph of the last lockdown 

it exploded as soon as it finished, which could only have been brewing during lockdown 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen any justification that they have worked.

But once you have used a tool in your armoury then it might be viewed badly if you don’t reach for it again.

Have we reached for lockdown too readily? In my view, probably.

As you say, we’ll never know

But I’m going with the science on this one.

America has had a half arsed lockdown and has lost the battle

34 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Funny

here is my overall view on lockdowns;

1. We have no evidence that they work. The scientists say that if we don’t lock down, then this will happen. We’ve never seen the non-lockdown outcome. 

2. We do know the damage they have caused; financially, other health, education etc. @birch-chorleyhas gone quiet, perhaps he’s just too frustrated.

I would think that when the future checklist is analysed, it will be that the cure will be far greater than the disease.

As I’ve said, I think, from very early, the job was to keep those vulnerable out of the way of the virus. Hardly any healthy under 60s have died, so, again, could we have better allocated resource?

But, from where we are, we have to, it seems, look after the NHS.

But, is there a lot of spin there?

as ever, I’m happy to be wrong, especially with this virus 

Surely the best way to do that is through lockdown?