Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Members
21 minutes ago, Ani said:

Less things are shut down. So places like Next are still doing click and collect for instance. 
The definition of essential is also strange, sure someone said pet groomers are open ! Building site are open, think these were shut at first in lockdown 1. We really need to fuck these places off now for 3-4 weeks. 

Pet groomers are open because it's more about the health of the dog. Nail cutting, matting etc. 

Building sites have always been open haven't they? My Dad works on all sorts of sites and has never been as busy. 

Edited by bolton_blondie

10 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Pet groomers are open because it's more about the health of the dog. Nail cutting, matting etc. 

Building sites have always been open haven't they? My Dad works on all sorts of sites and has never been as busy. 

But if we are serious about it Fi-Fi can wait 4 weeks. Anything serious go to the vets. 
A lot of the big developers shut their sites as they did not think they could follow social distancing rules. Step daughters b/f is a brickie and he was off for a good few weeks. 

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

I’ve worked throughout the Covid period and have noticed that in March, when this all kicked off, the roads were dead. Very few others driving around and even ‘rush hours’ were quiet. This time around, whilst not as busy as pre-covid, the roads are very much busier than the first lockdown. Have folk decided they haven’t been infected yet therefore it’s unlikely they will be?

I’m the same and would say they’re no different locally to normal times during school holidays. Worlds apart from March. 

• Site Supporter

It’s a really difficult one. I think the busyness out there is genuinely more people working. And if I’m putting my “ let’s be kind” hat on from the other thread, can you blame people for trying to protect their livelihoods and maintain their mental health?

In the 3 schools where I work they are all pretty much a third full - way more than the first lock down. The list of people “trying” to get their kids in for being on the critical list, which is a lot more than March includes; Manufacturing, Construction, Window cleaners, Mechanics, Phone/tv/ repairs  a whole host of Trades and Services and wait for this selling fragrances! People working in those sectors can all make a case for needing to work and they are still open, whether they are critical or not is very debatable.

But I’ve no idea what the answer is, because while schools are a third full and all those people are still working is the rate ever going to come down? Is there enough presence of law and order to enforce stricter measures? 

• Members

So deaths are rising 

Cases are rising 

So the next two weeks they will increase even more, hospitals will struggle and the possibility of mutations will increase 

Yet more businesses are open, more people are travelling and more people are out and about.

Government needs to get tougher. 

2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So deaths are rising 

Cases are rising 

So the next two weeks they will increase even more, hospitals will struggle and the possibility of mutations will increase 

Yet more businesses are open, more people are travelling and more people are out and about.

They do, and I think they will. Curfews would be the easy start, like they've done in other countries, and possibly even enforcing the closure of some manufacturing for a two week period

• Members
3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

They do, and I think they will. Curfews would be the easy start, like they've done in other countries, and possibly even enforcing the closure of some manufacturing for a two week period

Do curfews work? Say for example it’s 8pm no one can go out, who’s going out after this time anyways unless you’re working nights?

I often went for a run at 10pm, 11pm sometimes even midnight during the 1st lockdown.

I've never seen the point of running to keep healthy whilst simultaneously breathing in the equivalent of 10 B&H in traffic fumes...

I often see folk huffing and puffing jogging up Green Lane, which may as well be designated an A-Road these days, at 5pm, 6pm...they must be crackers - probably do themselves more harm than good.

44 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So deaths are rising 

Cases are rising 

Curfew? On what? Only essential shops & takeouts open, i really can’t see how an evening curfew will help reduce infections, more of these type of restrictions will result in more folk refusing to toe the line, our freedoms are being removed day by day and it’s got to stop. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Rudy said:

So deaths are rising 

Cases are rising 

You feeling better this morning? When I had it, it very much came in waves, sometimes fine, then like I’d been hit by a bus and couldn’t move.

48 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Do curfews work? Say for example it’s 8pm no one can go out, who’s going out after this time anyways unless you’re working nights?

I don't know if they work or not, they're putting them in place in other countries so they must think they do something.

I suspect what will come in is that we're told to wear masks everywhere when not in the home, even outdoors

This time around it’s gloves off so to speak folk have been hit hard financially over this and will do the most work they can possible unless places are shut

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Curfew? On what? Only essential shops & takeouts open, i really can’t see how an evening curfew will help reduce infections, more of these type of restrictions will result in more folk refusing to toe the line, our freedoms are being removed day by day and it’s got to stop. 

We're partially in the current situation because of people deciding they don't need to toe the line in the first place. You can blame them for the current removal of freedoms, and the more draconian ones that will possibly come into force.

Although to be fair, I think most people do accept why the current restrictions are in place and stick to them, it's those who think "it's not me, I'm being sensible, it's everybody else" who are the problem

• Members
25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I didn’t suggest them

22 minutes ago, desperado said:

You feeling better this morning? When I had it, it very much came in waves, sometimes fine, then like I’d been hit by a bus and couldn’t move.

Yesterday was horrendous 

my phone died and the charger was downstairs I went to go and get it sat on the couch and woke up 3 hours later.

Today I feel alright but I could sleep again

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I didn’t suggest them

Yesterday was horrendous 

my phone died and the charger was downstairs I went to go and get it sat on the couch and woke up 3 hours later.

Today I feel alright but I could sleep again

Does alcohol help?

47 minutes ago, Sweep said:

We're partially in the current situation because of people deciding they don't need to toe the line in the first place. You can blame them for the current removal of freedoms, and the more draconian ones that will possibly come into force.

Although to be fair, I think most people do accept why the current restrictions are in place and stick to them, it's those who think "it's not me, I'm being sensible, it's everybody else" who are the problem

Spot on. 

when sage or whoever did their initial modeling it would have been based on a certain % of compliance. Your general scum bags etc they would have already discounted. It’s the people who are “it’s everyone else not me I sanitize” that are a massive part of the problem. 

along with those of the mindset I’ve played the rules all along so I’ve earned the right now to break them. It’s the governments fault , Barnard castle , Cummings 😴😴😴. Right there is the problem. 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Is that because Dominic Cummings didn’t wash his hands once?

You bring Cummings up a lot. As Boris said at the time the rules are open for interpretation. 
The backing of Cummings was bizarre at best and just gave the impression that there was no real leadership. 
Ultimately most people breaking the rules would have done anyway but it was a terrible message.