Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Got my first jab booked in for Saturday evening at the Etihad. 

5 minute slot and can't be early or late. They must be flying through 'em there.

I'll wave as I cycle past

3 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

The virologits I follow don't seem overley concerned about the results, but they all say it would be better if we could get the 2nd dose in the timeframe recommended.

The 33% needs to be taken with a massive pinch of salt - it's very preliminary, and is a measurement of test positivity 14 days after taking the fist shot. It doesn't tell us anything about onward transmission, or changes in the seriousness of infection 

Antibodies take about 10 days to get to a decent level, so anyone catching the virus in the first few days after having the vaccine would have very little additional defence against it anyway - there's quite a few experts suggesting that when we see the full data it will likely show that of those who did catch it after the vaccine, most of them were in the few days after the shot, and the overall severity was lower.

Most vaccines can't protect anyone from "catching" a disease, they just enable your immune system to deal with it really quickly, so that in essence it appears that you've not actually had the disease, and in some cases you won't find it in a test either, but that doesnt mean to say the virus hasnt been in some of your cells and dealt with by your imuune system.

But they all think the 2nd booster builds up the immune system much better - they can literally see a massive spike in antibodies a few days after having the 2nd shot.

Speaking of people to follow, I follow a lad on Facebook called Kieren Lythgow, he’s a very switched on guy who posts some good info and does a few podcasts as well. 

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, Spider said:

I thought Bolton had more beds than that? Anyway it is all shit news within a shit sandwich at the moment.

Yet according to some, there would be no second wave and eat out to help out was a fucking marvelous waste of Government coffers.

Govt take shit about eat out to help out, but that is based on latest understanding of how virus transmits in the air. No one realised this at the time. 

No fan of Boris but blaming him for not having a time machine is harsh. 

I don't think numbers shot up in a manner that would make you think EOTHO alone was to blame.

There's definitely an argument that we should've stayed in lockdown longer and tried to eliminate the virus from the country completely (when we had 400 cases a day in July). If we had our time again, I'm sure that's what we'd do.

But given that was never really on the table... it's probably a good thing that those businesses were able to make hay while the sun was briefly shining.

50 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Don't know what he's done now, but no doubt he'll be fucking useless at it, whatever it is.

Except getting the vaccinations sorted?

Just now, boltondiver said:

Up 20,000 from yesterday

Its' good, and I'd expect that number to keep increasing as well now these Super Centres are open - I guess only lack of supply can stop the Government hitting their target, and they were still saying yesterday that they'll hit it, so it looks like we have the supply

A great effort really

Just now, boltondiver said:

Up 20,000 from yesterday

Aye I think daily comparisons are potentially misleading as we do not know how efficient reporting is. The week on week reporting of an 80k increase is even more impressive. 

9 minutes ago, Ani said:

Aye I think daily comparisons are potentially misleading as we do not know how efficient reporting is. The week on week reporting of an 80k increase is even more impressive. 

Indeed, but good to set new records

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Indeed, but good to set new records

Many mps saying the same thing to Hancock: "we've got x,y and z ready to go but no or insufficient vaccine"

He had to repeat the same thing about production volumes.

Good thing I took from that, is that there has clearly been a lot of preparation work undertaken to ensure there is always capability to inject the stuff as fast as its delivered.

Also good coordination on delivering what we do have. 

Hopefully, the production will increase and we'll be jabbed sooner rather than later.