Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Thats my concern, youll never stop the spread. You cant have help out to eat out one week, then kick off when figures rise. 

For me we should be focusing on dealing with the spread, not trying to stop it. Obviously I dont mean a free for all. 

Masks, social distancing, bubbles etc all carry on. But flipping out any time we see a rise just wont serve any purpose other than getting numbers down only for them to shoot back up when relaxed again.

Its just never going to end.

• Site Supporter

I see what you are saying and trust me the frustrations are the same within schools.

But earlier you talked about the importance of control and preventing the spread of the virus. 

The schools I’ve been in in the last month are doing an amazing job of keeping bubbles/year groups separate, with a whole host of measures, risk assessments and procedures.

But if we are to believe that the close proximity of distance measures and time spent close to each other is a major factor in spreading the virus, there is no way everyone in that bubble/class can be classed as not at risk if a child goes down with the virus.

The only realistic way to manage it safely and to stop a widespread catching of the virus is to isolate the bubble. 

• Members
Just now, wiggy said:

I think that’s what we’ve generally been seeing. 

Then that is madness. Why can’t that bubble get tested, once they’re clear back in they go, just like workplaces 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Then that is madness. Why can’t that bubble get tested, once they’re clear back in they go, just like workplaces 

The science bit I can’t answer, you’ve had people earlier on here try to explain about the virus laying dormant for a number of days, so therefore the test only being accurate for that moment.

I’d imagine also there isn’t the testing capacity for mass testing in all those schools.

As for the comparison in workplaces, I’d imagine you’re not sat 30cm away from your colleague, holding hands with them, jumping over them at playtime and touching and messing with each other’s hair (mainly the girls) Social distancing doesn’t and wouldn’t be expected to take place in schools (mainly primary, but I imagine secondary isn’t much easier) 

• Members

Fair points. 

9 minutes ago, desperado said:

The science bit I can’t answer, you’ve had people earlier on here try to explain about the virus laying dormant for a number of days, so therefore the test only being accurate for that moment.

I’d imagine also there isn’t the testing capacity for mass testing in all those schools.

As for the comparison in workplaces, I’d imagine you’re not sat 30cm away from your colleague, holding hands with them, jumping over them at playtime and touching and messing with each other’s hair (mainly the girls) Social distancing doesn’t and wouldn’t be expected to take place in schools (mainly primary, but I imagine secondary isn’t much easier) 

I assume you’ve not met @Sweep ?

Edited by Rudy

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Kids school seem to have it better

all done alphabetically lining up and seating so if a kid gets it a radius is used anyone sitting in front/back left & right has to isolate, touch wood so far not many cases they shut last Friday for a deep clean which I think they will do going forward 

Is that secondary? Good approach, it might mean more schools/public health England look at something like this going forward, as nobody likes the disruption we are currently facing. I still find that hard mind with y10/11 students who have also got to change classes/teachers for their options subjects.

If its primary I’m really surprised, as the contact with many other children in the bubble is impossible to avoid throughout the day 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I understand all that, but stevie wonder could see if rules are relaxed we are going to see spikes. 

We are going to have to deal with these spikes and live with them rather than shitting our pants every time numbers rise and pulling it back. 

Its not going anywhere and we will never stop it. Just keep it steady instead of knee jerk reactions at the first sign of trouble that just twats everybody's confidence, causes panic/revolt and nobody has a clue whats going on. Keep it simple ffs.

They know whats going to happen 3 weeks to a month down line, restrctions now don't work for 3 weeks to a month later (as far as deaths are concerned) so what seems like a knee jerk reaction, isn't.

If they see the numbers continuously rise for a few weeks, experience tells the experts that the number will continue to rise unless behaviour changes. If you get a swift doubling, 100 deaths becomes 800 very quickly, and takes much longer to slow down than it does to get there in the first place . 

If they dont impose some restrictions now, we'd get total lockdown again in the future, wod you rather have that?

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Is that secondary? Good approach, it might mean more schools/public health England look at something like this going forward, as nobody likes the disruption we are currently facing. I still find that hard mind with y10/11 students who have also got to change classes/teachers for their options subjects.

If its primary I’m really surprised, as the contact with many other children in the bubble is impossible to avoid throughout the day 

Yes secondary, don’t get me wrong if loads get it they may do the whole year but so far it’s working ok 

54 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Thats my concern, youll never stop the spread. You cant have help out to eat out one week, then kick off when figures rise. 

For me we should be focusing on dealing with the spread, not trying to stop it. Obviously I dont mean a free for all. 

Masks, social distancing, bubbles etc all carry on. But flipping out any time we see a rise just wont serve any purpose other than getting numbers down only for them to shoot back up when relaxed again.

Its just never going to end.

0.7% die Gonzo, when everyone gets decent treatment.

That number goes up if the hosputals get busier, and other hospital  services get cancelled or delayed, creating more unrelated deaths

What do you mean by deal with the spread, not try to stop it? How does that look practically, what do you suggest we do that we arent doing now?

We aren't in total lockdown, they are trying to deal with the spread 

5 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

0.7% die Gonzo, when everyone gets decent treatment.

That number goes up if the hosputals get busier, and other hospital  services get cancelled or delayed, creating more unrelated deaths

What do you mean by deal with the spread, not try to stop it? How does that look practically, what do you suggest we do that we arent doing now?

We aren't in total lockdown, they are trying to deal with the spread 

I don’t think we are at 0.7%?

38 minutes ago, Rudy said:

the pcr test is looking for RNA from the virus. To get the RNA you have to swab and hope the bits you're swabbing have been infected. 

If you swab too early, the virus might not have spread to the bits you're swabbing yet. Theyre microscopically tiny. Early on you may have a tiny area of infection, so you'd need to wait a few days. By the time you've waited, had the test and got the results back, the kid would have missed a week of school anyway.

• Site Supporter

A couple of positive cases in my lads year at school. They are only informing those with close contact to isolate not the whole year. So those that sit close in classes etc.

Seems to be working so far but we will see. Loads of kids are off with the usual colds and stuff so most parents are being understandably cautious. 

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

I don’t think a one size fits all works for this virus

Agreed, the ifr is fluid between demographics and will change, but I aint seen much evidence that in the west it isn't somewhere between 0.4 and 1. Should drop as time goes on.

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

They know whats going to happen 3 weeks to a month down line, restrctions now don't work for 3 weeks to a month later (as far as deaths are concerned) so what seems like a knee jerk reaction, isn't.

If they see the numbers continuously rise for a few weeks, experience tells the experts that the number will continue to rise unless behaviour changes. If you get a swift doubling, 100 deaths becomes 800 very quickly, and takes much longer to slow down than it does to get there in the first place . 

If they dont impose some restrictions now, we'd get total lockdown again in the future, wod you rather have that?

It's perhaps a little like piloting a supertanker. You need to start the turn a long time before the rocks or you'll run aground. With most transmission happening within the home, there's an additional period of rising numbers even after you stop transmission in the community. All of which makes it difficult for joe public to see the correlation between the measures taken and the incidence.

13 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Agreed, the ifr is fluid between demographics and will change, but I aint seen much evidence that in the west it isn't somewhere between 0.4 and 1. Should drop as time goes on.

I think so, on all points