Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Moderators
1 minute ago, jules_darby said:

No, I wouldn’t necessarily

I only have an issue with draconian policies if I don’t believe that we benefit from them - I don’t believe the 10pm curfew as it is does that. As TMGJ says; if you’re doing it at least close the offies and take aways too

Make it work or don’t bother 

You believe otherwise, which is fine, but for me this makes v little positive difference & causes unnecessary collateral damage which will have devastating long term effects for those in hospitality. 

It’s nob all to do with me wanting to be out late as I’m in bed 9:30pm most nights anyway 🤣

The govt is flip flopping and appeasing  for me. Shithouses only concerned with populism and protecting a 2nd term.

We actually agree that the curfew is pointless and the government are half arsed about it all

I just put the gathering outside costcutters down to the people and not the curfew, they could form a queue if they wanted

Every step of the way since day one there's been evidence that people don't give a fuck 

Every step of the way the government do something baffling

We aren't going to "win"

12 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

We actually agree that the curfew is pointless and the government are half arsed about it all

I just put the gathering outside costcutters down to the people and not the curfew, they could form a queue if they wanted

Every step of the way since day one there's been evidence that people don't give a fuck 

Every step of the way the government do something baffling

We aren't going to "win"

So knowing that folk don’t give a fuck...

closing restaurants and pubs but not offies and take aways; scenes like that and the tube one from London last week are inevitable

So not a clever policy to make it more likely then 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

closing restaurants and pubs but not offies and take aways; scenes like that and the tube one from London last week are inevitable

There were pictures of rammed mask less tubes way back in April and May

Stories on here of similar scenes in Asda around the same time

The Bottom Bull etc

I'm all for highlighting government incompetence, but it's not just them

The only way to stop it is full on strict lockdown

Too far down the line now, need to save the economy, etc, so this is it till the numbers drop, which is a concerted effort

One I don't see those people making

I guess we look at that picture and see different things

Edited by ZicoKelly

I just see it on the side of hotel, nightclub and wine bar owners. All mosty my customers. Cancellations, lost revenue, stock management, staff management and cut hours. 

Theres no reason all the hotels in Blackpool cant keep their bars open. Nobody is going anywhere after. 

All the gaffs in poulton have behaved impeccablely. 3 closed immediately when one staff membee, who covers all 3 bars got it. Which was nothing to do with ill practice or late night revelry but stats will show its late night bars at fault.

Its a sweeping generalisation without thought or consequence.

Before anyone says "its better this than them being locked down properly" ...yeah it is but only for the government because theyll have to pay for a lockdown.

58 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I just see it on the side of hotel, nightclub and wine bar owners. All mosty my customers. Cancellations, lost revenue, stock management, staff management and cut hours. 

Theres no reason all the hotels in Blackpool cant keep their bars open. Nobody is going anywhere after. 

All the gaffs in poulton have behaved impeccablely. 3 closed immediately when one staff membee, who covers all 3 bars got it. Which was nothing to do with ill practice or late night revelry but stats will show its late night bars at fault.

Its a sweeping generalisation without thought or consequence.

Before anyone says "its better this than them being locked down properly" ...yeah it is but only for the government because theyll have to pay for a lockdown.

I think, generally, we are in as good a place as we can be. The measures are generally accepted as a reasonable compromise.

And, it's likely that local lockdowns are working.

The Govt doesn't have any money, Gonz

Edited by boltondiver
a

• Site Supporter

The numbers aren’t climbing dramatically (yesterday was a technical anomaly)

Id say that the current measures are largely working.

All the government can realistically do is manage the case numbers to a manageable and acceptable level.

I think, personally, that 5,000 new cases a day for the next 6 months will be considered as good as we can do (though they’d never say this publicly)

We’ve been extremely fortunate that it doesn’t kill young people as readily as the elderly. It’s aggravating that the schools have to isolate groups here and there but I just think we have to live with it for now and keeping case numbers low is our best option.

The curfew is an odd one but it is what it is.

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

This app thing, was in the car with the eldest daughter when hers went off and gave her a warning of potential exposure. That was it, didn't say where, didn't say when, didn't say for how long, didn't say anything else at all and hasn't said anything since.

She'd only been at home and with me at work for 2 days and nowhere else at all, there were no pedestrians about so at a stretch it could have been someone in the car in front?

This is why the computers won't take over, no grey are just black and white 

5 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

This is why the computers won't take over, no grey are just black and white 

Nah not never. That’s just ANI...(not the Yorkshire Fred Flinstone); when we reach AGI (estimated about 30 years time) then things will be v different. They’ll then “see grey” properly.

If/when they reach ASI they’ll also understand shades inbetween that we simply can’t 

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

It's only more likely if the curfew causes more virus to spread than no curfew. Photos of some folk bunching outside isnt good proof. It's anecdotal. The virus doesn't like outdoors. 

19 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Well I’m done with the boozer until this shite is all over. 6pm last night, tried to get in 5 pubs, all of them ‘full’. Fuck that for a bag of spanners 

They obviously know of you

😇

26 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

It's only more likely if the curfew causes more virus to spread than no curfew. Photos of some folk bunching outside isnt good proof. It's anecdotal. The virus doesn't like outdoors. 

They’re not just crowding outside after the curfew though are they

Anecdotal or not 

3 hours ago, Spider said:

The numbers aren’t climbing dramatically (yesterday was a technical anomaly)

Id say that the current measures are largely working.

All the government can realistically do is manage the case numbers to a manageable and acceptable level.

I think, personally, that 5,000 new cases a day for the next 6 months will be considered as good as we can do (though they’d never say this publicly)

We’ve been extremely fortunate that it doesn’t kill young people as readily as the elderly. It’s aggravating that the schools have to isolate groups here and there but I just think we have to live with it for now and keeping case numbers low is our best option.

The curfew is an odd one but it is what it is.

It was a statistical anomaly but I think we need to see how figures play out over coming days. This "glitch" really does scramble the ability to do amateur analysis on the basis of the daily published stats. Thankfully the other studies that are done by ONS etc do seem to point to rises not being steep - although Northern Ireland and Scotland is looking worse.

I agree on keeping numbers low and managing it. Folk working from home where possible, wearing masks and washing their hands will help. I think it's down to all of us to use our common sense to cut down the amount of contact we have with people as much as possible.

I'm at the point now where I'm willing them on with the vaccine and/or mass testing. The whole thing is becoming very wearing ... and this is precisely the moment to keep self discipline when the temptation is to lose patience and do otherwise.

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

They’re not just crowding outside after the curfew though are they

Anecdotal or not

Do you think the spread of virus is increasing because of the curfew? 

I sincerely doubt it is, because I bet the reduction in risk gained by loads of  folk spending several hours less time in pubs/clubs/restaurants is greater than the additional risk of a % of folk congregating outside or going elsewhere. 

I think its being overplayed, and it wouldn't surprise me if the govmt tinker with the rules to appease the complainers, only for other complaints to arrise later on. People don't like being told what to do if it effects them.

I'm hearing it off everyone. 

Parents of schoolkids isolating - its too much, my son wasn't even near him, ridiculous.

Football club owners - let fans in.

Junior football coaches - let all the kids play

Futsal/Basketball/ indoor 5 a side players- its not fair  why can't we play.

Football dads - let us watch 

Pub landlords- curfew doesn't work

Folk in lockdown areas - its not fair  what about them over there 

Folk coming back from Turkey - the rules are ridiculous, I'm safer over here.

Edited by peelyfeet

3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Well I’m done with the boozer until this shite is all over. 6pm last night, tried to get in 5 pubs, all of them ‘full’. Fuck that for a bag of spanners 

They had a Happy Hour on, no wonder they didn't want you in there 😉 😊 

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

Do you think the spread of virus is increasing because of the curfew? 

I sincerely doubt it is, because I bet the reduction in risk gained by loads of  folk spending several hours less time in pubs/clubs/restaurants is greater than the additional risk of a % of folk congregating outside or going elsewhere. 

I think its being overplayed, and it wouldn't surprise me if the govmt tinker with the rules to appease the complainers, only for other complaints to arrise later on. People don't like being told what to do if it effects them.

I'm hearing it off everyone. 

Parents of schoolkids isolating - its too much, my son wasn't even near him, ridiculous.

Football club owners - let fans in.

Junior football coaches - let all the kids play

Futsal/Basketball/ indoor 5 a side players- its not fair  why can't we play.

Football dads - let us watch 

Pub landlords- curfew doesn't work

Folk in lockdown areas - its not fair  what about them over there 

Folk coming back from Turkey - the rules are ridiculous, I'm safer over here.

I’ve said it many times; net I believe the 10pm curfew causes more damage than it helps. 

You know I think this though so no idea why you asked

And how come your anecdotal stuff is allowed but mine isn’t?

No point going around the houses again though....😊🤷🏽‍♂️