Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You aren't obliged to defend every single fuck-up this Government makes. They pay people less intelligent than you very good money to do that. Lay off the mental Gymnastics for a while, and accept that using Excel to record National statistics during a pandemic is an extremely poor decision, whoever made it.

Read my posts again then come back.

• Site Supporter
59 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I use Excel quite a bit for work but there is no way I would use it for something such as this. Surely someone who knows their onions in IT should have stepped in and said what the fuck are you doing?

Problem is, everyone willing to stand up and call the government and their posse of experts and scientific advisers are quick to be shouted down on all sorts of media, social, mainstream or any others.

To call the government out you either need to be Nutty McNutface or able to convince a lot of people in a short time.

3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Problem is, everyone willing to stand up and call the government and their posse of experts and scientific advisers are quick to be shouted down on all sorts of media, social, mainstream or any others.

To call the government out you either need to be Nutty McNutface or able to convince a lot of people in a short time.

Well it starts from the top, zero accountability for ministers incompetence is now the norm. I’ve no doubt Bozo will dodge questions in PMQs this week and try and blame Labour for not being supportive or some other bullshit.

4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

They used Excel as a database? Fuck me.

I genuinely don't know how to respond to that.

They were still using faxes in the NHS until Feb this year, between departments, manually typed up or scanned into different systems because they couldnt get stuff to talk to each other.

I sold some stuff to an NHS trust a couple of years ago, North London, it took several months longer than normal to go live because of technical issues with communication between disparate systems. All the different public sector depts, local councils,  NHS trusts, GP Practices, police forces, schools, courts, prisons etc, buy their own stuff to a certain extent, from a list of vendors, loads of it isn't compatible with each other so its no surprise that they've been using excel.

Whitty and Valance's "prediction" of where we might be if cases doubled every 7 days, from 15th Sept,  that was classed as scare mongering by some, is currently 4 days off, after 14 days -  looks like its doubling more like every 10 days so far - it it carries on like this, we'll be on 49K cases by 28th October instead of 13th, so we'd still get there, just 2 weeks later than the graph showed. 

Zoe tracker thinks growth slowed down over the last days of September, sticking at around 20K actual infections per day - they think there is 264k folk with symptomatic covid today - 1 in 250 people

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Whitty and Valance's "prediction" of where we might be if cases doubled every 7 days, from 15th Sept,  that was classed as scare mongering by some, is currently 4 days off, after 14 days -  looks like its doubling more like every 10 days so far - it it carries on like this, we'll be on 49K cases by 28th October instead of 13th, so we'd still get there, just 2 weeks later than the graph showed. 

Zoe tracker thinks growth slowed down over the last days of September, sticking at around 20K actual infections per day - they think there is 264k folk with symptomatic covid today - 1 in 250 people

That is something that Andrew Neil keeps saying and it is annoying, especially as I expected better from him. It was an illustration showing a doubling of infection every 7 days - what could happen if no measures were taken to slow down the rate of spread.

The Gov took measures, local and national and they appear to be working.

Have to say, the lads test was done very efficiently this morning. Scan QR code on phone, show ID then ring the number displayed to talk to the bloke about his options (self take or someone to do it for him). Chose for someone to do it so it was done properly. Waited about 10 more mins while a couple of cars in front were done then his turn. Nice friendly chap explained to him what he would do then he cracked on with it, less than a minute later we were on our way again.  Plenty of staff about.

3 hours ago, Carlos said:

Everyone is an expert in everything these days. But I am a legit expert in data. Using Excel, fucking hell, you may as well use Notepad. Someone needs sacking. I could sell you some software that would be up and running in a day that would do the job properly.

maybe its just a beta test, for something better or maybe not 

22 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

That is something that Andrew Neil keeps saying and it is annoying, especially as I expected better from him. It was an illustration showing a doubling of infection every 7 days - what could happen if no measures were taken to slow down the rate of spread.

The Gov took measures, local and national and they appear to be working.

Have to say, the lads test was done very efficiently this morning. Scan QR code on phone, show ID then ring the number displayed to talk to the bloke about his options (self take or someone to do it for him). Chose for someone to do it so it was done properly. Waited about 10 more mins while a couple of cars in front were done then his turn. Nice friendly chap explained to him what he would do then he cracked on with it, less than a minute later we were on our way again.  Plenty of staff about.

My lad had his quarantine cut from 14 days to 7 because his mate's test was taken a week ago, and  a random one. The test and trace team made him test again over weekend and it came back negative. School aint got a clue what to do, they've sent 3 messages with differing guidlines since Sunday morn

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

My lad had his quarantine cut from 14 days to 7 because his mate's test was taken a week ago, and  a random one. The test and trace team made him test again over weekend and it came back negative. School aint got a clue what to do, they've sent 3 messages with differing guidlines since Sunday morn

Government stylee...

• Members
2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

They were still using faxes in the NHS until Feb this year, between departments, manually typed up or scanned into different systems because they couldnt get stuff to talk to each other.

I sold some stuff to an NHS trust a couple of years ago, North London, it took several months longer than normal to go live because of technical issues with communication between disparate systems. All the different public sector depts, local councils,  NHS trusts, GP Practices, police forces, schools, courts, prisons etc, buy their own stuff to a certain extent, from a list of vendors, loads of it isn't compatible with each other so its no surprise that they've been using excel.

Our Maude is a doc and she still has to send stuff via fax

I had a request for someone’s medical history at work to be faxed, I was surprised they are still used.

31 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Our Maude is a doc and she still has to send stuff via fax

I had a request for someone’s medical history at work to be faxed, I was surprised they are still used.

I read somewhere the NHS are the biggest purchaser of fax machines in the world. 

2 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

And back to 14 days.

• Moderators

To be fair to the government if their internal systems run on windows 95 its understandable they'd use to Excel as a means to store data

Hopefully this will be a kick up the arse to upgrade to Windows 98 and start  using Access

• Members
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

I read somewhere the NHS are the biggest purchaser of fax machines in the world. 

I assume it’s security of sensitive info but Shirley it would be cheaper and easier to set up a NHS emailing system 

5 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

Remember the utter clusterfuck that was NHSpfIT?

CCS, G-Cloud, DOS etc all utter shite Procurement models

However none of that explains this latest bag of wank. Not sure how true it is but I read today that the actual issue here was not the use of Excel but the limitations of the version (.xls not .xlsx for example)

It was Excel fucking 97 🙈🙈🙈

1997! The 100 point season and I was a teenager FFS