Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Why on earth would Labour want to inherit this shitshow ? It's the Tories baby, let them carry on.

Because they should be confident they can do better no? Otherwise what’s the point in them existing?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 32.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Escobarp

    2502

  • Spider

    1926

  • Tonge moor green jacket

    1804

  • boltondiver

    1723

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was one of the loveliest things to ever happen. Stood in my garden sobbing like a baby! Proud to work for the NHS 👏👏👏👏❤️

My uncle lost his battle to this in Royal Bolton this morning, so he will be one of today’s numbers.  last rites over the phone held by a nurse with no family there. made an exception yester

I’ve sat with my mum who is slipping away, literally breathing her last today. She idolises the Queen, and whilst she didn’t in all likelihood hear that, I know she would have loved every single

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Because they should be confident they can do better no? Otherwise what’s the point in them existing?

 

The tories won the election, we got an oven ready brexit. Labour will bide their time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Glad you're coming along to my way of thinking, all Labour have to do is watch this government tear itself apart and cruise the next election.

In reality they are showing themselves to be inept. The opposition sit by and let, what they and their deluded frothing supporters deem to be, the government running our country headlong into a disaster and economic ruin?
 

if you think that’s a positive then it’s a real shame. 

Edited by Escobarp
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Also, if we gt 300 deaths from 50,000 cases, it's not so bad compared to spring and well within the NHS's capacity.

The scientists are pulling our plonkers

 If it gets to 50k cases a day in the timescale they've given, its not going to suddenly go down the next day, the rate has to slow and get below 1 first. 

We are in a period of acceleration now, cases are doubling every week, and hospitalisations are following a similar trend. Cases will continue to rise for the foreseable. If the new restrictions work, the rate of case growth will slow, but it's not going to happen overnight, especially if the restrictions are mild. Last time a large % of the population went from normal life to sitting indoors doing fuck all for a bit. That's not going to happen this time, at least not straight away.

Every bed taken by covid is a bed that could be used for something else. Every acute infection has the potential to cause  several weeks of ill health, its not just the covid deaths that take a toll on society, there's indirect costs, economy included.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

In reality they are showing themselves to be inept. The opposition sit by and let, what they and their deluded frothing supporters deem to be, the government running our country headlong into a disaster and economic ruin?
 

if you think that’s a positive then it’s a real shame. 

Unless Johnson DOES offer a Snap Election (which obviously isn't going to happen), then there's not much else the Opposition can do beyond trying to hold the Government to account in Parliament, which they seem to be doing. You talk as though Starmer has already been offered one, and turned it down.

Edited by Cheese
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Unless Johnson DOES offer a Snap Election (which obviously isn't going to happen), then there's not much else the Opposition can do beyond trying to hold the Government to account in Parliament, which they seem to be doing. You talk as though Starmer has already been offered one, and turned it down.

Where did I say he had turned one down? 

i was merely giving an opinion on what I believed would happen , in the highly unlikely event one was called. 
 

but then we had a labour supporter advising that they are happy for the government to lead the country forward into what they believe will be ruin, simply so that labour have a better chance of winning the next election? And yet you pick me up (incorrectly) on what I said? Strange that eh 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Why on earth would Labour want to inherit this shitshow ? It's the Tories baby, let them carry on.

To be fair, they’re very vocal in their opposition to what the Tories  are doing. I’m sure they wouldn’t be if they didn’t consider their own response would work better. And if they did have a genius master plan, wouldn’t they share their ideas for the good of the country?

Lets face it, they’re thanking their lucky stars they lost the last GE and that this isn’t their shit storm to deal with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Where did I say he had turned one down? 

i was merely giving an opinion on what I believed would happen , in the highly unlikely event one was called. 
 

but then we had a labour supporter advising that they are happy for the government to lead the country forward into what they believe will be ruin, simply so that labour have a better chance of winning the next election? And yet you pick me up (incorrectly) on what I said? Strange that eh 

No, I'm just pointing out that you're calling the Opposition 'inept' for doing something you 'believe' they might do in a highly unlikely theoretical situation. What a Labour supporter said is irrelevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

No, I'm just pointing out that you're calling the Opposition 'inept' for doing something you 'believe' they might do in a highly unlikely theoretical situation. What a Labour supporter said is irrelevant.

I was calling them inept in response to the statement that they were happy to be sitting by and watching effectively.  As you correctly point out a GE isn’t going to be offered.

But it’s odd to see their supporters just see this as a passage to GE win in 4 years time rather than having faith that their preferred party could do a better job currently? Wouldn’t you expect them to be clamouring for them to be in charge now to make things better now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Keep the schools open

Let people work

shut the pubs and restaurants, make people stay home.

Its shit but all they can really do now is minimise numbers, because that’s their best option.

Life needs to carry on but everyone needs to be realistic and realise that we live in a different world.

If we can sustain a few thousand cases a day and less than 100 deaths until the vaccine shows up, I’d say that’s a good result.

Its dull as fuck and the hospitality industry will need propping up, selective furlough, but there really aren’t any other options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spider said:

Keep the schools open

Let people work

shut the pubs and restaurants, make people stay home.

Its shit but all they can really do now is minimise numbers, because that’s their best option.

Life needs to carry on but everyone needs to be realistic and realise that we live in a different world.

If we can sustain a few thousand cases a day and less than 100 deaths until the vaccine shows up, I’d say that’s a good result.

Its dull as fuck and the hospitality industry will need propping up, selective furlough, but there really aren’t any other options.

Pubs won’t be shutting imo. Just curfews/shortened hours. Which achieves fuck all really. 
 

guess we will find out tomorrow in all likelihood though 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you lads are all way off message here, i was listening to Emma Barnett on 5 live today when they cut to Chris Witty giving us an update on covid with predictions of increased numbers being infected and then more deaths about the middle of next month.

He was talking about 50,000 cases a day with 200+ deaths a day

Her next guest was Harriet Harman , when asked to comment on this her biggest fear of the covid outbreak is the disproportionately amount of fines given to young black men and those from our BAME communities for not playing by the rules.

Its as if Labour are saying its ok not to play by the rules

Conversely it would help if Boris and his cronies stopped telling lies and just admitted when asked about anything that they just dont know instead of making wild claims

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I was calling them inept in response to the statement that they were happy to be sitting by and watching effectively.  As you correctly point out a GE isn’t going to be offered.

But it’s odd to see their supporters just see this as a passage to GE win in 4 years time rather than having faith that their preferred party could do a better job currently? Wouldn’t you expect them to be clamouring for them to be in charge now to make things better now? 

Yes, I would, and I disagree with anyone who is happy to sit back and watch the country burn so they can oust the current (or any) Government in several years time. Unfortunately, until the next General Election there's nothing else any Opposition can do apart from try to hold them to account (as it would be if any other party won a massive majority).

In an ideal world we'd have a collaborative effort when it comes to major issues like the Covid-19 response and Brexit, but our political system is not set up that way.

Edited by Cheese
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Yes, I would, and I disagree with anyone who is happy to sit back and watch the country burn so they can oust the current (or any) Government in several years time. Unfortunately, until the next General Election there's nothing else any Opposition can do apart from try to hold them to account (as it would be if any other party won a massive majority).

In an ideal world we'd have a collaborative effort when it comes to major issues like the Covid-19 response and Brexit, but our political system is not set up that way.

I would agree at times like this our system, and in particular the way devolution works, just makes a mockery of us as a united country (use the term United for descriptive purposes only). 
 

Surely though if you were sat as leader of the opposition you would be offering solutions and changes rather than just trying to point score and demand apologies repeatedly? I just find it odd. I like starmer but I think he is missing an opportunity to actually try and add some value. Surely it would make boris look even worse , if that is possible, if solutions were offered and just dismissed repeatedly? But to offer nothing just makes me question the substance of the man  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree at times like this our system, and in particular the way devolution works, just makes a mockery of us as a united country (use the term United for descriptive purposes only). 
 

Surely though if you were sat as leader of the opposition you would be offering solutions and changes rather than just trying to point score and demand apologies repeatedly? I just find it odd. I like starmer but I think he is missing an opportunity to actually try and add some value. Surely it would make boris look even worse , if that is possible, if solutions were offered and just dismissed repeatedly? But to offer nothing just makes me question the substance of the man  

Again, that's down to the failings of our political system. It's nobody elses job to provide assistance to a majority Government other than the advisors the Government chooses, and no majority Goverment would accept and implement advice from an Opposition party because that would massively undermine them. The system is fucked. Starmer probably doesn't have any good Covid-related ideas anyway. I don't think anyone does.

Edited by Cheese
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Again, that's down to the failings of our political system. It's nobody elses job to provide assistance to a majority Government other than the advisors the Government chooses, and no majority Goverment would accept and implement advice from an Opposition party because that would massively undermine them. The system is fucked. Starmer probably doesn't have any good Covid-related ideas anyway. I don't think anyone does.

Denise Welsh, she's ya women 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are they thick?

Right pubs are shutting early, right well we best get in early then and sink as much ale as possible before booting out time.

A hour two hours top is gonna do the square root of fuck all

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Are they thick?

Right pubs are shutting early, right well we best get in early then and sink as much ale as possible before booting out time.

A hour two hours top is gonna do the square root of fuck all

Think the idea is that statistically that's when the beer kicks in and inhibitions drop towards the end of the night. Helps with social distancing 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.