Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I read earlier, and I was skim reading quickly (and I was in a meeting at the time) so I may have got it wrong, but isn't the Pfizer vaccine around $20 a shot, and the one that Oxford are working on around £2 a shot  -  it's a fair old difference that.

If I was to guess, and it is only a guess, I reckon we won't be getting anything at all from Pfizer this side of January, never mind in a couple of weeks

I'm not too sure re the price mate, but I can't see the Pzifer ones out for a while yet, would be very surprised if they are.

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

I'm not too sure re the price mate, but I can't see the Pzifer ones out for a while yet, would be very surprised if they are.

Just checked, here is the info: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/10/oxford-v-pfizer-costs-logistics-could-still-see-oxfords-vaccine/

Pfizer = £29.47 for the 2 jabs

Oxford = £2.23 and it's single jab

Multiply them figures by the 60KK people living in the UK, and it's a fair chunk of money as a differential

19 hours ago, Sweep said:

532 deaths today, grim.

18 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Post weekend bump. Monday is often lower, but Tuesday catches up.

478 today........that's over 1000 in just 2 days. Some chappy on the radio suggesting that we'll likely see 400~500 per day die for another 2 weeks, and then hopefully it'll start to reduce

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

478 today........that's over 1000 in just 2 days. Some chappy on the radio suggesting that we'll likely see 400~500 per day die for another 2 weeks, and then hopefully it'll start to reduce

by which time, we'll only have 2 weeks of lockdown left

do we think we'll be on lockdown until the vaccine arrives with a weeks grace for xmas?

12 minutes ago, L/H White said:

by which time, we'll only have 2 weeks of lockdown left

do we think we'll be on lockdown until the vaccine arrives with a weeks grace for xmas?

I suspect we'll be locked down, in some way or other until New Year - I can't see pubs being allowed to open for the Festive season. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by Sweep

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Just checked, here is the info: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/10/oxford-v-pfizer-costs-logistics-could-still-see-oxfords-vaccine/

Multiply them figures by the 60KK people living in the UK, and it's a fair chunk of money as a differential

It certainly is a whopping difference

• Site Supporter

I suspect we'll be locked down, in some way or other until New Year - I can't see pubs being allowed to open for the Festivetve season. Hope I'm wrong.

I doubt they’ll have any intentions of opening pubs.

Maybe restaurants but to think they’ll just let everyone undo the work of the lockdown is stretching it.

Best hope is that they allow families to mix

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Its 595 today

Was 532 yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I suspect we'll be locked down, in some way or other until New Year - I can't see pubs being allowed to open for the Festivetve season. Hope I'm wrong.

Lad at my place said we need to sort the works do out😀😀

Certainly not going to let retail & hospitality get back to business at the same time

37 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Difference across 50m doses is £800m. In context that’s about the same as Furlough costs for a day and a half 

Or 2% of the cost of this rapid tracing system that we are about to buy 

Or 5% of what the government have spent so far on PPE in the pandemic 

Or its marginally less than what we lost when Cameron and Osbourne sold off part of the Royal Mail and it was valued at £1bn more the next day 

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, Sweep said:

29 minutes ago, Spider said:

Its 595 today

Was 532 yesterday.

Let's hope this is right. Bound to reach a peak somewhere, hopefully we're thereabouts now. Not great if it continues to rise.

10 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Difference across 50m doses is £800m. In context that’s about the same as Furlough costs for a day and a half 

Or 2% of the cost of this rapid tracing system that we are about to buy 

Or 5% of what the government have spent so far on PPE in the pandemic 

Or its marginally less than what we lost when Cameron and Osbourne sold off part of the Royal Mail and it was valued at £1bn more the next day 

I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of thingsl - but everything is starting to add up.

I'm not suggesting that I think the Government will delay using Pfizer based on cost, they'll take it as soon as it's ready.............I just get a feeling that it's not really going to be ready anytime soon, and we're still a few months away

Fingers crossed we get something and soon, but I'd be very surprised if we start vaccinating anybody this year.

In the ideal world, the Oxford vaccine comes good, and we can vaccinate ourselves at a low cost, and with a simple procedure, and then make a shit load of money selling it abroad

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I see Pfizer have warned not to take too long through the mhra, or they may let someone else have it.

Just start on the septics, and if loads start to croak, then we can give it a swerve. 

You cant blame them, they've got a small window of opportunity to make a fortune and charge top whack, before the other cheaper vaccines come on stream. They should be holding us and every other country to ransom right now, as they're pretty much the only people who have something that's ready to go 

• Site Supporter

You cant blame them, they've got a small window of opportunity to make a fortune and charge top whack, before the other cheaper vaccines come on stream. They should be holding us and every other country to ransom right now, as they're pretty much the only people who have something that's ready to go 

Perhaps we've already paid for them: they were reported as having been bought, not just ordered (could just be slack journalism). Or at least a down payment to ensure a place in the queue. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

I just get a feeling that it's not really going to be ready anytime soon, and we're still a few months away

Fingers crossed we get something and soon, but I'd be very surprised if we start vaccinating anybody this year.

I think youre wrong