Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

 

I don't think it's as hard to understand as you're making out. One is backed by the scientists as a way to get R below 1, one isn't. 

Whitty said it, the bloke from Sage said it again today - nobody actually believes that the Tier 3 restrictions are enough to get the virus under control, at best they'll maintain it at the level it is. So it's either further restrictions on top of that, or no region is ever coming out of Tier 3.

If your business is unviable in Tier 3 anyway (as 1,000s will be), you might as well pick the circuit break in the hope it's actually effective.

That isn’t why people are wanting to go into full lockdown over tier 3 from what I’ve seen from the business owners. They believe it will financially be better for them.  They believe the government will give more money under lockdown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 32.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Escobarp

    2472

  • Spider

    1892

  • Tonge moor green jacket

    1777

  • Mr Grey

    1701

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My uncle lost his battle to this in Royal Bolton this morning, so he will be one of today’s numbers.  last rites over the phone held by a nurse with no family there. made an exception yester

That was one of the loveliest things to ever happen. Stood in my garden sobbing like a baby! Proud to work for the NHS 👏👏👏👏❤️

I’ve sat with my mum who is slipping away, literally breathing her last today. She idolises the Queen, and whilst she didn’t in all likelihood hear that, I know she would have loved every single

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Thank Boby. Hopefully someone can give us the opposing view and let us know what they know that we don’t that makes lockdown financially more viable for all these business impacted by tier 3 cos I haven’t seen anything to back up that view point as yet 

 

That was the question I was answering - nothing about different levels of support, just an answer to why anyone would feel it might be better financially for their business. To which the answer is that short term pain could be better than guaranteeing long term ruin.

Out of interest, does anyone think we won't end up having a lockdown/circuit breaker eventually anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

 

That was the question I was answering - nothing about different levels of support, just an answer to why anyone would feel it might be better financially for their business. To which the answer is that short term pain could be better than guaranteeing long term ruin.

Out of interest, does anyone think we won't end up having a lockdown/circuit breaker eventually anyway?

I think there have been a couple of posters on here suggesting that it is because they believe there will be more money available. I’m not saying all but there are definitely a number of businesses that believe that and it’s not going to happen 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

They shouldn't have to trade off anything, and they shouldn't punish an employment sector that's not contributing to covid massively, they have classed pubs because they fucked up with the 10pm closing time and made it worse as it created more crowds soon as 10pm struck. Fucking mental.

I'm happy for schools to be back, we have to live with this, do the basics and be responsible. There will always be irresponsible people in every country around the world, there's fuck all we can do about it, but dont punish the majority, it's starting to feel like a dictatorship.

Copied from what I have just posted on my union's facebook page..

"Bars - unsafe, clubs - unsafe, restaurants - unsafe, meeting in groups - unsafe, meeting outside - unsafe. So schools were you you can meet in groups, talk with friends and carry on some variant of normality are safe.. why?? Well it's down to us and just us, the school workers. Parents are grateful, kids will be grateful and we're doing something that nobody else can at the moment, giving kids some sense of normality. It's above and beyond, it's crap, we're all shattered, but we're making the difference though. Focus on the positives as it's all we can do.. It can't rain all the time. FWIW my friends just been laid off yesterday, she's worrying about how she is going to get past the end of November financially, there are people in far worse positions."

 

see what replies I get, but it's true. It's a risk to me, but it's making things as normal as we can. 

Kids are superspreaders but if the economy goes tit's up we're goosed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Copied from what I have just posted on my union's facebook page..

"Bars - unsafe, clubs - unsafe, restaurants - unsafe, meeting in groups - unsafe, meeting outside - unsafe. So schools were you you can meet in groups, talk with friends and carry on some variant of normality are safe.. why?? Well it's down to us and just us, the school workers. Parents are grateful, kids will be grateful and we're doing something that nobody else can at the moment, giving kids some sense of normality. It's above and beyond, it's crap, we're all shattered, but we're making the difference though. Focus on the positives as it's all we can do.. It can't rain all the time. FWIW my friends just been laid off yesterday, she's worrying about how she is going to get past the end of November financially, there are people in far worse positions."

 

see what replies I get, but it's true. It's a risk to me, but it's making things as normal as we can. 

Kids are superspreaders but if the economy goes tit's up we're goosed. 

That's being honest, which is more than I can say about our politicians at the moment, a lot of stuff is hypocrisy. We can pick holes in everything and nothing is making sense, I feel the masses are getting mightily pissed off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

That's being honest, which is more than I can say about our politicians at the moment, a lot of stuff is hypocrisy. We can pick holes in everything and nothing is making sense, I feel the masses are getting mightily pissed off.

Right at the beginning, you may remember Chris Whitty explaining the principles of coming out of lockdown. It was about a bit here and a bit there. Bit like 'marginal gains' in cycling.

As they do it, and learn from what works, that informs policy.

Balance that with the economy and its a tough gig.

We're no exception as a nation, but the ones with a population that respect the situation and do their bit, are the ones that will come out of it quicker. Or have a savagely authoritarian regime that cares less for its people's rights.

I have a lot of sympathy for teachers as Swanny regularly points out, as it seems unreasonable that pupils and teachers aren't masked up.

Schools need to be open as much as possible, but health and safety law must surely allow a teacher to say fuck this, I'm wearing one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spider said:

In summary

Absolutely fucking no one knows what’s best.

Not true. Facebook experts know what is best. Same as everything. This is part of the problem. Too many fucktards listen to and believe the shite they spout 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

In summary

Absolutely fucking no one knows what’s best.

Close the schools and uni's and kids are missing out on education and putting their lives at a massive disadvantage and fucking them over for years to come.

Keep them open and close other areas of life and its fucks the economy and puts their lives at massive disadvantage and fucks them and everyone else over for years to come.

We need to cull old people.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Close the schools and uni's and kids are missing out on education and putting their lives at a massive disadvantage and fucking them over for years to come.

Keep them open and close other areas of life and its fucks the economy and puts their lives at massive disadvantage and fucks them and everyone else over for years to come.

We need to cull old people.

Be a bit quiet on here if we did though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Be a bit quiet on here if we did though?

We could fill every cruise liner up with them and let them wander the seas in peace for eternity.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst somewhat draconian, there probably is merit to having people "put to sleep" once they reach 70yrs old. We don't have to do it forever, just a year or two. Stick to a date, say all those 70 and over on 1st November 2020, have to give there lives for the good of the nation

It'll relieve the burden on the NHS and free up housing.

As compensation, they get their funeral paid for by the government, and the relatives don't have to pay any inheritance tax.

It sounds crazy, but its got to be worth consideration

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

We could fill every cruise liner up with them and let them wander the seas in peace for eternity.

 

just put enough food drink and fuel on to get them to the middle of the Atlantic then Torpedo the lot for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting piece from Ian King on a potential second Credit Crunch. The markets that went tits up in 2008 are creaking again, this time commercial and office real estate defaults causing the damage 

Will history repeat itself with another big short collapse, but this time in commercial property?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/xx-f3hb2vd7n

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Send them to the seaside.

Theyre always complaining that is young ‘uns don’t know what sacrifice is, well nows their chance to really show us.

All paid for, as much bingo and QC Sherry as they can sink - busty 70’s type barmaids giving handjobs to the single blokes, and naughty window cleaners with a glint in their eye and some bawdy humour for the widows.

Meldrew, Mounts etc will have a great time and be happy that the country can crack on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Send them to the seaside.

Theyre always complaining that is young ‘uns don’t know what sacrifice is, well nows their chance to really show us.

All paid for, as much bingo and QC Sherry as they can sink - busty 70’s type barmaids giving handjobs to the single blokes, and naughty window cleaners with a glint in their eye and some bawdy humour for the widows.

Meldrew, Mounts etc will have a great time and be happy that the country can crack on.

Purge style event, whack it on PPV with funds going to the NHS..

 

jobs a good-un

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Spider said:

Send them to the seaside.

Theyre always complaining that is young ‘uns don’t know what sacrifice is, well nows their chance to really show us.

All paid for, as much bingo and QC Sherry as they can sink - busty 70’s type barmaids giving handjobs to the single blokes, and naughty window cleaners with a glint in their eye and some bawdy humour for the widows.

Meldrew, Mounts etc will have a great time and be happy that the country can crack on.

I think you were ahead of the game with this as well as the circuit breaker idea, weren't you?

They should get you on SAGE

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Close the schools and uni's and kids are missing out on education and putting their lives at a massive disadvantage and fucking them over for years to come.

Keep them open and close other areas of life and its fucks the economy and puts their lives at massive disadvantage and fucks them and everyone else over for years to come.

We need to cull old people.

Exactly, though apparently we already have, next step is the 55 to 65 year old bracket, and that's most of us on here and definitely @Steejay 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

no mate, a self employed joiner, United Utilities worker and a carer, all the window cleaners will be in the petrol station tomorrow morning about 07.10 queueing for Costa coffee whilst infecting everybody, not one of them will have a mask on

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.