Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

1 hour ago, royal white said:

This is by no means sticking up for Boris but other European countries Have seen a similar rise in deaths over the last 12 month compared to previous years, yet their Covid deaths are lower.  Are we still recording covid deaths differently to other countries? 

Yes we always have been. Scroll back about 800 pages and find out where I’ve said it about 10 times as folk trot out meaningless graphs comparing us and other nations. Apple and a egg in most cases is the comparison. 

10 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yes we always have been. Scroll back about 800 pages and find out where I’ve said it about 10 times as folk trot out meaningless graphs comparing us and other nations. Apple and a egg in most cases is the comparison. 

A lot of those now calling for harder lockdowns were the first to call Trump a racist for blocking flights from China. 

Who’d be a leader hey 🤷🏻

Edited by royal white

11 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Funnily enough, the Govt used to trot out those graphs all the time when our deaths were lower than Italy and Spain.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Which ones?

First two, insufficient knowledge and naivety. Other uk nations said similar. 

PPE- distasteful maybe, but ensuring we got what we needed as quickly as possible within a worldwide shortage- needs must. Moral high ground but more nurses dead wasn't an option. Any illegal activity within that should be rooted out if it occurred.

The rest judgements based on evidence at the time; as the rest of Europe does. Open a bit, close a bit. Don't see how this relates to not in good faith.

The travel testing was discussed at length, and reasoning made. May well not have been best practice, but again not necessarily not in best faith.

Hence why a proper inquiry is needed. Avoids opinion and politics.

Judgements based on evidence?

As in SAGE and WHO advice?

There are bellends everywhere. Guest on TV this morning. Seemed quite reasonable. Questioning the government’s actions over the past year in a very sensible manner. But then spoilt it by saying that there should only be one priority right now - returning people’s civil liberties which have been stolen from them throughout the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

UK: "We have a vaccine, it's all ours"

EU: "Can you send the bit we ordered?

UK: "NO"

UK: "Don't forget to send our order though. We are Britain."

EU: "Yeah, about that...."

Must be weird on Planet Mounts

Not half as weird as the swamp you inhabit, you do know it’s AZ who are not delivering the AZ vaccine because of production issues and because the EU ordered 3 months later than we did, the delay is nothing to do with the U.K. government. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not half as weird as the swamp you inhabit, you do know it’s AZ who are not delivering the AZ vaccine because of production issues and because the EU ordered 3 months later than we did, the delay is nothing to do with the U.K. government. 

I do know that.

And you do know Pfizer are delivering (or not) the Pfizer vaccine.

Yet you were stamping your feet about not being fwends with the EU.

All a bit screechy.

Just now, Spider said:

I do know that.

And you do know Pfizer are delivering (or not) the Pfizer vaccine.

Yet you were stamping your feet about not being fwends with the EU.

All a bit screechy.

Me screechy FFS!  you know a bit about screeching, you’ve been screeching for the last 4 years.... every fucking day. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Me screechy FFS!  you know a bit about screeching, you’ve been screeching for the last 4 years.... every fucking day. 

I’m sorry

Only cats and dogs can hear you now

🐈 🐶 

The unreasoned, unreasonable, unsympathetic, attack fog mentality is out again.

It worked so well for Brexit and the last election.

Will they, can they, learn?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

Are you listening @Mounts Kipper ?

Even the placid Mr D is appealing for calm 🙃

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, royal white said:

This is by no means sticking up for Boris but other European countries Have seen a similar rise in deaths over the last 12 month compared to previous years, yet their Covid deaths are lower.  Are we still recording covid deaths differently to other countries? 

Yes.

That notwithstanding, our new strain has clearly had a significant impact over recent weeks.

Although it is growing in number elsewhere, the fast discovery and response should have helped other nations from suffering quite so dramatically. 

I think the world is now entering a slightly different phase, whereby new strains are the main focus, as the vaccine role out takes place.

That said, if necessary, modified vaccines will need to be made for countries where new variants flourish, as they will always be a threat until tackled.

2 hours ago, royal white said:

Excess deaths against 5 years average now 76K

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static-reports/mortality-surveillance/excess-mortality-in-england-latest.html

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Yes we are.

Telling folk to self isolate is vastly different to sticking them in quarantine hotels. You know that you tinker

It's still requiring people to quarantine whichever way you want to portray it. It was introduced some time ago, as you know.

I'm sure Traf isn't really concerned where such people stay; it still has the same effect on his business.

The new system, welcome as it maybe, it will mean new costs, which impacts folk even more.

As it happens, if people did as they were told, these newer measures may not be needed. Shouldn't need police and border force officials to be checking up on them.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ani said:

The level of airborne transmission was not fully understood at the time. 
Do you think the Govt would have knowingly introduced a scheme that would drive up infections ? And lead to another lock down ? 

I think they had a strategy that had more emphasis on economy than infections - hence the delayed lockdown, coming out too soon, etc

I think they probably knew it was a risk, rather than deliberately allowing it to drive them up - hence BJ repeatedly putting the emphasis on the public to do the right thing and be cautious etc, whillst letting them crack on at the same time

re: airborne transmission, peely posted this the other day - china confirmed airborne transmission back in feb with it escaping from upper airways and saliva (you only need to watch the first 10 seconds or so)

so if he knew, the government scientists knew, though we only waited till July to make masks mandatory, but only in shops, but eating out, that was ok, in August

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

giphy.gif

Edited by Cheese

5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I think they had a strategy that had more emphasis on economy than infections - hence the delayed lockdown, coming out too soon, etc

I think they probably knew it was a risk, rather than deliberately allowing it to drive them up - hence BJ repeatedly putting the emphasis on the public to do the right thing and be cautious etc, whillst letting them crack on at the same time

re: airborne transmission, peely posted this the other day - china confirmed airborne transmission back in feb with it escaping from upper airways and saliva (you only need to watch the first 10 seconds or so)

so if he knew, the government scientists knew, though we only waited till July to make masks mandatory, but only in shops, but eating out, that was ok, in August

I know they knew it could be airborne but earlier there was a view that it could only travel so far. There was a video put up later showing how social distancing rules in bars were not effective.  So rather than being 'safe' a few meters away, anyone in the bar could pick it up. I have tried to find the video about this but can not. It showed how in a bar in (I think) Korea where there had been an outbreak people sat on opposite site had caught the virus. 

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

It might work; remember Ms Green revealed their hand early doors, seems a definite route.

That said, Davros is also writing government billboards for the next election, as well as his own, so who knows.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ani said:

I know they knew it could be airborne but earlier there was a view that it could only travel so far. There was a video put up later showing how social distancing rules in bars were not effective.  So rather than being 'safe' a few meters away, anyone in the bar could pick it up. I have tried to find the video about this but can not. It showed how in a bar in (I think) Korea where there had been an outbreak people sat on opposite site had caught the virus. 

It would be good to know the scientific rationale for masks in shops but eating out was ok 

I went to a pub and a restaurant in July)August - my only social occasions since i started, 2 of each (i didn't know much about transmission either), neither were safer than whizzing round a shop