Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

After having time to reflect on Boris plan I can honestly say what a load of bollocks, can’t believe folk putting up with the timescale and order of dates things will be allowed to open. I think he’s borrowed the bingo ball machine.

 

You saying it's too quick?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 43.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Escobarp

    3447

  • Spider

    2742

  • Tonge moor green jacket

    2654

  • boltondiver

    2444

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My uncle lost his battle to this in Royal Bolton this morning, so he will be one of today’s numbers.  last rites over the phone held by a nurse with no family there. made an exception yester

That was one of the loveliest things to ever happen. Stood in my garden sobbing like a baby! Proud to work for the NHS 👏👏👏👏❤️

I’ve sat with my mum who is slipping away, literally breathing her last today. She idolises the Queen, and whilst she didn’t in all likelihood hear that, I know she would have loved every single

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

You saying it's too quick?

It’s all over the place, all kids to school together rather than primary first and secondary after Easter, pubs, restaurants, travel way to late, outdoor attending in stadiums, grass roots sport outdoor also to late. It seems areas where it can be easily managed by enforced social distancing and masks are opening  later than areas where it can’t be easily managed like schools, add to that parents of school kids most under 40s aren’t yet vaccinated and will be exposed to the virus, very likely it will begin to grow and increase the chance of a 4th lockdown. Its a poor plan in my opinion and solely driven by Boris exclaiming schools will reopen first,  rather than on a sensible timeline. 

 

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

“Travel way too late”

So you’d be happy to fly off to Spain but not for schools to go back?

I agree with some of what you say, by the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Spider said:

Whilst everything is looking up, I’ve seen 2-3 people this morning I know that have been told they’re likely (certain) to have no job when furlough ends.

What do we think the landscape will be like by May when the fallout really starts to land?

I saw an article, which I can't find now, that said a good number of firms would be looking to hire

though I suspect it will still be outnumbered by unemployed by some way

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Spider said:

Whilst everything is looking up, I’ve seen 2-3 people this morning I know that have been told they’re likely (certain) to have no job when furlough ends.

What do we think the landscape will be like by May when the fallout really starts to land?

I think there will be a few job losses, but not as many as I thought a few months ago, when I thought we'd see all sorts of places going to the wall - I do also think that next week, in the budget, that Sunak will extend the furlough scheme until July, so pretty much kicking the can down the road for another few months.

To balance that, I also don't think we'll see an immediate huge economic boom and people booking holidays and spending like mad either, as has been mentioned on occasion by some. I think it'll be a very slow and measured recovery, which the Government will be controlling  - no matter the timelines given yesterday, I just don't see us being allowed to travel outside of the UK this side of September/October at all (unless for business etc)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter

Holidays

People are already booking for July and August abroad.

I think they’ll go ahead to be honest.

But whether it’s going to be a mask-wearing shitstorm around the resorts is anyone’s guess.

I can’t see people sticking to guidance.

Personally, I see holidays and foreign travel being the big issue. Thats a super spreader.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're an unpaid carer you can now book in on the NHS website

This technically applies to me, so have booked in at the stadium for a week on Saturday

Edited by jmjhb
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Holidays

People are already booking for July and August abroad.

I think they’ll go ahead to be honest.

But whether it’s going to be a mask-wearing shitstorm around the resorts is anyone’s guess.

I can’t see people sticking to guidance.

Personally, I see holidays and foreign travel being the big issue. Thats a super spreader.

I think my worry would be being "forced" to go on a holiday - the planes might be flying and the hotels might be open, but it's the potential, especially on an AI, of being told what time you can eat, and what time you can go in the pool etc, in order to to ensure no over crowding that might put me off.

Fair play to those who have booked to go away this year, as it's helping to keep that industry going, and hopefully if they do go away, it doesn't end up being a farce due to social distancing and the like

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Queueing for food on holiday sounds aaaaacccceeeee

some people actually do it.

We once booked a very last minute holiday, did zero research, as it basically flew from Luton that evening - we thought for  about £250 each, for a weeks AI how bad can it be?

Fucking hell, it was so grim (Club Mac Alcudia, if you want to check it out) - you had to queue for everything, even drinks, and you couldn't have more than two of the little plastic cups of beer at any one time. At serving times for the food (which was shit) it could be up to a 10 or 15 minute wait to get your food. After two days, we decided it was better to eat out for all our meals, which we did. Fair enough, there were plenty of people there who really enjoyed it, but queueing up 10 or 15 minutes for a drink or food really isn't a holiday for me at all. The pool was always massively rammed, and had to be cleared one day as some kids launched some hotdogs/burgers into it that had been sucked into the filter system and spat back out, so it looked "cloudy" and not in a good way

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
Just now, Sweep said:

some people actually do it.

We once booked a very last minute holiday, did zero research, as it basically flew from Luton that evening - we thought for  about £250 each, for a weeks AI how bad can it be?

Fucking hell, it was so grim (Club Mac Alcudia, if you want to check it out) - you had to queue for everything, even drinks, and you couldn't have more than two of the little plastic cups of beer at any one time. At serving times for the food (which was shit) it could be up to a 10 or 15 minute wait to get your food. After two days, we decided it was better to eat out for all our meals, which we did. Fair enough, there were plenty of people there who really enjoyed it, but queueing up 10 or 15 minutes for a drink or food really isn't a holiday for me at all. The pool was always massively rammed, and had to be cleared one day as some kids launched some hotdogs/burgers into it that had been sucked into the filter system and spat back out, so it looked "cloudy" and not in a good way

Club Mac?? Tenko mate.

 

My sister who has lived in Mallorca for 30 years ran a complex of apartments and a bar just across the road from there until 2 years ago

When that "resort" went all inclusive she thought she'd be ruined.

Within weeks, she'd never been busier. People were coming to eat and drink in her bar complaining about conditions at Club Mac. 3 hotels on the same site, and it's absolutely hideous. I went in with a guy one day as he wanted me to see for myself how bad it was (I just walked in, no check for a wristband at all).

It was acres of plastic furniture, Fosters in plastic cups, kids running wild, chips, beans and tattoos.

@Mounts Kipper would have loved it.

Seriously though, it was hell on earth.

My sister did well as she served decent food and beer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Spider said:

Club Mac?? Tenko mate.

 

My sister who has lived in Mallorca for 30 years ran a complex of apartments and a bar just across the road from there until 2 years ago

When that "resort" went all inclusive she thought she'd be ruined.

Within weeks, she'd never been busier. People were coming to eat and drink in her bar complaining about conditions at Club Mac. 3 hotels on the same site, and it's absolutely hideous. I went in with a guy one day as he wanted me to see for myself how bad it was (I just walked in, no check for a wristband at all).

It was acres of plastic furniture, Fosters in plastic cups, kids running wild, chips, beans and tattoos.

@Mounts Kipper would have loved it.

Seriously though, it was hell on earth.

My sister did well as she served decent food and beer.

My idea of hell. Best part of the holiday is finding little restaurants and bars to sit and relax in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Club Mac?? Tenko mate.

 

My sister who has lived in Mallorca for 30 years ran a complex of apartments and a bar just across the road from there until 2 years ago

When that "resort" went all inclusive she thought she'd be ruined.

Within weeks, she'd never been busier. People were coming to eat and drink in her bar complaining about conditions at Club Mac. 3 hotels on the same site, and it's absolutely hideous. I went in with a guy one day as he wanted me to see for myself how bad it was (I just walked in, no check for a wristband at all).

It was acres of plastic furniture, Fosters in plastic cups, kids running wild, chips, beans and tattoos.

@Mounts Kipper would have loved it.

Seriously though, it was hell on earth.

My sister did well as she served decent food and beer.

It was the grimmest place I've ever stayed - as mentioned, we actually ended up eating out all the time, and there were some great places to eat just down into the town. How a place like Club Mac keeps going is beyond me, but I guess it appeals to a certain audience and it's cheap, so British folk will continue to flock there.

I'm sure @Mounts Kipperwouldn't be seen dead in a place like that

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It was the grimmest place I've ever stayed - as mentioned, we actually ended up eating out all the time, and there were some great places to eat just down into the town. How a place like Club Mac keeps going is beyond me, but I guess it appeals to a certain audience and it's cheap, so British folk will continue to flock there.

I'm sure @Mounts Kipperwouldn't be seen dead in a place like that

I know how they manage it. The food they buy in is the cheapest, nastiest catering stuff available.

They pay the “cleaning” staff a bare minimum and the place is as clean as you’d expect for that.

The agent who used to drink at my sisters place said it was the main “allocation on arrival” resort for the whole island, and the clientele were not exactly the politest bunch.

But it’s Sunny most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

I know how they manage it. The food they buy in is the cheapest, nastiest catering stuff available.

They pay the “cleaning” staff a bare minimum and the place is as clean as you’d expect for that.

The agent who used to drink at my sisters place said it was the main “allocation on arrival” resort for the whole island, and the clientele were not exactly the politest bunch.

But it’s Sunny most of the time.

I think we were allocation on arrival. We basically booked something at about 3pm and were flying from Luton a few hours later. 

When I said it was the grimmest place I'd ever stayed.....I might be doing it a disservice, we went to Fez once, what a fucking shithole that place was, I think that's the worst holiday ever. If ever you get the chance to go to Fez, don't it's fucking shit. It's worse than Hammamet, that's how bad it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

As for AI, did it once and it was oerfect for us at the time

10 adults, 20 kids

Loads of pools and activities

But I much prefer small SC

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I think we were allocation on arrival. We basically booked something at about 3pm and were flying from Luton a few hours later. 

When I said it was the grimmest place I'd ever stayed.....I might be doing it a disservice, we went to Fez once, what a fucking shithole that place was, I think that's the worst holiday ever. If ever you get the chance to go to Fez, don't it's fucking shit. It's worse than Hammamet, that's how bad it is.

I wouldn't go to North Africa for a golden camel.

Done Turkey twice and found that outside the hotel it offers very little beyond creepy locals and squalor.

Malta was surprisingly shit an all, but clean at least.

Best European holidays - France, Italy, Cyprus, Spain, Greece, Holland. In that order. Based on places I've been, though I do fancy trying the Balkans, everyone says they are excellent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casino said:

As for AI, did it once and it was oerfect for us at the time

10 adults, 20 kids

Loads of pools and activities

But I much prefer small SC

The right sort of place, and for the right sort of person then AI are great.

I do prefer a small SC as well, and would always try to book that if I could. Some of the long haul destination places I've been to though generally you don't have a lot of choice other than AI, but I'd always seek out SC if I could

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spider said:

I wouldn't go to North Africa for a golden camel.

Done Turkey twice and found that outside the hotel it offers very little beyond creepy locals and squalor.

Malta was surprisingly shit an all, but clean at least.

Best European holidays - France, Italy, Cyprus, Spain, Greece, Holland. In that order. Based on places I've been, though I do fancy trying the Balkans, everyone says they are excellent.

Morocco and Tunisia, both a bit shit, and I've never really met a person whose opinion I value that has ever disagreed with me. I've never been to Egypt, for the reason that I assume it's just going to be like the other two North African places I've been to.

I love going to France, it's my favourite place, but i also like Greece, absolutely love Lindos and if I can this year, I'll be headed off there I reckon. Italy also is great, and I fancy doing a bit of Croatia at some point  -  I do want to get back to some long haul destinations again though. I said before , I reckon 2020 is the first time in around 35 years that I've never left this Island, I usually go away about 3 times a year, so I'll be happy when I can get back abroad, but if I have to wait until 2022, then so be it

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

If you're an unpaid carer you can now book in on the NHS website

This technically applies to me, so have booked in at the stadium for a week on Saturday

Not letting me book, daughter gets high rate DLA so am technically an unpaid carer but just says will be contacted in the future

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.