Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

11 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Strange isn’t it that in a time of such world crisis certain folk just want to snipe at the government and seem to portray a desire that they hope they fail spectacularly. Whilst at the same time talking about saving lives. Very odd. 

but nowt as strange as folk 

Guarantee it would have been exactly the same, if not worse, had Labour been in charge - just by different people

59 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Its fairly similar, All workers contribute about 8 percent of their salary into a public health insurance pool and employers match that contribution.

Germany spends around 11% of its GDP on its health system, the UK around 9.5% - but bear in mind that Germany has a far, far bigger GDP than we do, then that's a lot more money they're spending on their health system (I know they have a larger population, about 10% higher as well, but their GDP absolutely dwarfs ours, its about 25% greater than its from memory)

Looking at the numbers, its not really a surprise that they have a better health care system than we have. It's down to the money they contribute though, nothing anything more special than that. So, all we need to do is increase NI by about 2% and make sure its channelled directly to the NHS.....easy 😁

No need - after 31 December 2020 the NHS spending is going up £18bn per year. I read it on the side of a bus.

Edited by Jol_BWFC

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Germans drink loads of beer and eat mountains of sausage.

Thats the reason, nowt more.

The fact the country had a huge shift towards Eugenics 70 odd years ago hasn't had any effect? 

Killing off people with underlying health problems en mass. Must have had some effect on the population..especially when probably 90% of fatalities have underlying health issues (which in itself is quite open to discussion)

That obv combined with a much more efficient health system. And much stricter views on movement than us. 

14 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Out of interest, who is to blame for our lack of testing?

PHE - they're ridiculously arrogant when it comes to this sort of thing. They believe that only they are the organisation capable of doing the testing and nobody else is good enough

47 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Strange isn’t it that in a time of such world crisis certain folk just want to snipe at the government and seem to portray a desire that they hope they fail spectacularly. Whilst at the same time talking about saving lives. Very odd. 

but nowt as strange as folk 

Nah, bollox. I’d love nothing more than the government to have come out of this looking like golden bollox and people cross the world being envious of how we approached this. 

Fact it, we ain’t dealt with it very well at all. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend otherwise. 

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Some have & some haven't, Germany & South Korea definitely seem to be doing better, the rest are all on a par-ish

If we tested more, our percentage of deaths and infection would obviously look a lot lower.

Problem is no two countries are the same in terms of demographic or anything. Comparing us to someone else is pointless and we just need to concentrate on ourselves.  Learn from others absolutely but compare and try and find fault for someone to blame? Not for me thanks 

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

Nah, bollox. I’d love nothing more than the government to have come out of this looking like golden bollox and people cross the world being envious of how we approached this. 

Fact it, we ain’t dealt with it very well at all. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend otherwise. 

I really don’t see myself as having my head in the sand whatsoever. We could improve but that’s goes for anything in life. And we learn. It’s not as if we’ve much experience of this at any level really. 

it’s a very tough gig and whoever was in charge wouldn’t have been perfect. So I would rather try and find improvements than look back with my finger pointed. But you are entitled to adopt that approach if you wish that’s life we are all different 

Just now, Escobarp said:

I really don’t see myself as having my head in the sand whatsoever. We could improve but that’s goes for anything in life. And we learn. It’s not as if we’ve much experience of this at any level really. 

it’s a very tough gig and whoever was in charge wouldn’t have been perfect. So I would rather try and find improvements than look back with my finger pointed. But you are entitled to adopt that approach if you wish that’s life we are all different 

Without highlighting failings we learn nowt. The inevitable public enquiry at the end of all this will pore over every little detail. 

2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Without highlighting failings we learn nowt. The inevitable public enquiry at the end of all this will pore over every little detail. 

No doubt they’ll be looking for your impartial input and insight.

2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

At the end is the key statement there for me. How we can find fault before it’s over and we don’t know who had the best strategy I don’t know 

we can’t compare ourselves to South Korea as their fight has been very much tech led and nobody else has that tech that I’m aware of to the same level of complexity. So it’s like comparing the sports science department at @Mr Grey’s mob and Chorley 

4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

What failings? The way things are going I expect it'll be chalked off as three world wars won, while everyone heads off down the pub.

• Site Supporter

917 today.

I’d give the govt 7/10 but I do get the feeling we are now falling behind other nations in terms of urgency and testing.

Im sure they’re doing all they can but they need to be up near that 100k a day target by midweek or we will see 4 figure death tolls at some point.