Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Just checked, we're currently 5th worst with 237 deaths per Million people  -  so in fairness to Mounts, Belgium have twice the problem that we have, we have a large number, but as a percentage, their number looks a lot bleaker

1st: Belgium (503)

2nd: Spain (446)

3rd: Italy (391)

4th: France (302)

5th: UK (237)

6th: Netherlands (219)

I've excluded San Marino and Andorra, as they're not real countries......

whist there's plenty of ways to look at it, for me, it's all about testing people, halting the spread and saving lives - no matter what the population is.

for me, the "best" metric should be based around either deaths per cases reported:

France: 1 in 6.46
Belgium: 1 in 6.86
Italy: 1 in 7.5
UK: 1 in 7.5
Netherlands: 1 in 8.9
Spain: 1 in 9.6
USA: 1 in 18.8
Germany: 1 in 31.3
South Korea: 1 in 45.2

or, deaths per test carried out:

France: 1 in 23.5
Belgium: 1 in 27.7
UK: 1 in 30.1
Spain: 1 in 44.6
Netherlands: 1 in 45.6
Italy: 1 in 57.3
USA: 1 in 95.8
Germany: 1 in 372.3
South Korea: 1 in 2,385.7

think it's fair to say, we need to get more testing done before we can even consider lifting lockdown

and that highlights why death per million isn't really much cop - because it looks like USA is doing alright, but, if NYC was a country, they'd probably be right up there

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

its a sorry state of affairs when we cannot get our own work shy bastards out into the fields and we are having to fly in these people to pick fruit.  

If they refuse to work refuse to pay them a penny. Simple 

There is a national campaign to create a "land army" here

In France they got 200,000 volunteers in their campaign. Here we got f*** all to speak of so far. Brits just don't want to pick veg so there's no choice but fly in foreigners.

27 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

whist there's plenty of ways to look at it, for me, it's all about testing people, halting the spread and saving lives - no matter what the population is.

for me, the "best" metric should be based around either deaths per cases reported:

think it's fair to say, we need to get more testing done before we can even consider lifting lockdown

and that highlights why death per million isn't really much cop - because it looks like USA is doing alright, but, if NYC was a country, they'd probably be right up there

there's all that and more,  on here https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

sad to see the countries with fastest growth in death rate at the moment are

Cameroon, Sudan and Guinea.

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

This.

The USA is so vast and diverse.

NY, NJ are so dense and they are like a different country compared to somewhere like Montana.

Trump should ask a New Yorker whether they are doing OK or not.

3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

so many graphs

are there any that show us in a good light?

The one that shows excess capacity in the NHS and ICU!

1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

so many graphs

are there any that show us in a good light?

haha none that I've found  - the one we need to get better at quickly is the testing per 1000 population - if you look at countries in OECD, we are 6th worst out of the 36 countries with similar economies / democratic governments  

10 minutes ago, Steejay said:

This.

The USA is so vast and diverse.

NY, NJ are so dense and they are like a different country compared to somewhere like Montana.

Trump should ask a New Yorker whether they are doing OK or not.

New Yorker didnt like before this. so I  will hazard a guess that there liking of him as not improved

Guest Nordkurve
2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Completely agree and it was a sweeping generalization I made there. 
most of the car washes round here are staffed by Romanians or Albanians and these boys graft. 

its a sorry state of affairs when we cannot get our own work shy bastards out into the fields and we are having to fly in these people to pick fruit.  

If they refuse to work refuse to pay them a penny. Simple 

I mentioned it before somewhere, but the Contractors we had when I worked at Munich Airport, and we had usually around between 40 up to 80 at the busiest times, the hardest workers were the Eastern Europeans. The laziest work dodgers without any doubt we’re the English, followed by the French. At least the French knew they were useless. The English seemed to think they were somehow superior to all the other Nationalities. The only people even worse than us English people in that respect: Australians.

4 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

I mentioned it before somewhere, but the Contractors we had when I worked at Munich Airport, and we had usually around between 40 up to 80 at the busiest times, the hardest workers were the Eastern Europeans. The laziest work dodgers without any doubt we’re the English, followed by the French. At least the French knew they were useless. The English seemed to think they were somehow superior to all the other Nationalities. The only people even worse than us English people in that respect: Australians.

I would put all the African countries I have worked in above the English as lazy Bastards 

Guest Nordkurve
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Must be really short of money those Romanians willing to come to a country the 4th most infected in the world.

There is a lot of poverty in Romania. One of my Aircraft Mechanics over here comes from there. He had to get a bus for five hours to get to the Airport for the flight to Germany. He had 50 Euros on him when he arrived. You don’t get paid until you have worked six weeks. I asked him why he had no more money and basically he has a wife and baby living at his parents, he had been out of work for a while, and simply no money. His parents gave him the 50 Euros. I managed to get him an advance, but fucking hell, I couldn’t begin to even think of being in that position of being so skint with a family to support.

Guest Nordkurve
6 minutes ago, royal white said:

I would put all the African countries I have worked in above the English as lazy Bastards 

You’re talking about Countries where you worked. I’m talking about people coming over here to work. For what it’s worth, I have had Contractors working for me from South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Zambia and a couple of other Countries. All grafters except for one individual who actually had an Irish Passport for some reason. Think he was originally from Senegal. 

5 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

and the laziest of the English - those bloody bumpkins from Somerset, sitting around drinking cider and chewing grass stems all day.

I read an article once, it reckoned Arabs and Samoans are the laziest,  Vietnamese, Cambodians work the hardest  - who knows

1 hour ago, Hoppy510 said:

There is a national campaign to create a "land army" here

In France they got 200,000 volunteers in their campaign. Here we got f*** all to speak of so far. Brits just don't want to pick veg so there's no choice but fly in foreigners.

I think that's harsh. We had something like half a million sign up to the NHS volunteers scheme, didn't we?

I've never heard of the "Land Army" thing.

Guest Nordkurve
1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

and the laziest of the English - those bloody bumpkins from Somerset, sitting around drinking cider and chewing grass stems all day.

I read an article once, it reckoned Arabs and Samoans are the laziest,  Vietnamese, Cambodians work the hardest  - who knows

Don’t know if your a WUM or not. A few lads who worked here were from Bristol and thereabouts, ex British Aerospace. Good workers actually. The laziest were the ones from the Hull area. Also ex British Aerospace but a completely different work ethic. I will say that all the ex Forces guys/girls worked hard once they had recovered from the previous nights bar activity:)

Who the fuck has let a daily record journalist ask questions at these briefings? First one I’ve seen for a while and I’m gobsmacked that rag is allowed In. First question in are the Tories listening to the snp?? 

fuck

off

and now the Liverpool echo. All credibility has gone 

Edited by Escobarp

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Who the fuck has let a daily record journalist ask questions at these briefings? First one I’ve seen for a while and I’m gobsmacked that rag is allowed In. First question in are the Tories listening to the snp?? 

fuck

off

and now the Liverpool echo. All credibility has gone 

Calm down, la

13 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

Don’t know if your a WUM or not. A few lads who worked here were from Bristol and thereabouts, ex British Aerospace. Good workers actually. The laziest were the ones from the Hull area. Also ex British Aerospace but a completely different work ethic. I will say that all the ex Forces guys/girls worked hard once they had recovered from the previous nights bar activity:)

Maybe just both have a look here, see which area is the most productive 🙂 https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/labourproductivity/articles/regionalandsubregionalproductivityintheuk/february2020#results-for-local-authorities

3 minutes ago, Nordkurve said:

I've no idea mate - I would reckon that the calibre of worker that you get will probably be based on several economic factors - I've worked in farming/gardening, building trade, hospitality, laboratory, and lots of offices, and I've worked with multiple businesses  - I've seen lazy bastards and grafters of every nationality and region I've come across.

Laziest blokes I've ever worked with for any length of time are a bloke from Sale, (but he had 20 houses that he also rented out, so wasn't really bothered about the job), a Turkish waiter who would to do anything to skive and work slowly. best grafters ive seen were probably irish lads on a building site, north Africans picking veg, and malaysian restaurant staff.     

The hospital was on green escalation status today. That's the first time I've ever seen that since I started working for the trust about 3 years ago. 

Basically it's taken the Coronavirus to limit the number of people being admitted to the point that it should normally be running at.

2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

The hospital was on green escalation status today. That's the first time I've ever seen that since I started working for the trust about 3 years ago. 

Basically it's taken the Coronavirus to limit the number of people being admitted to the point that it should normally be running at.

Is that good or bad news?

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I wonder if we will see less people turning up to hospital and the doctors for a while after this subsides - I must admit the few times I've been unfortunate enough to have to go to A and E or an observation ward in the last few years, there were loads of drunks and addicts in, i wonder if that has dropped off, or are they still turning up to A and E ? 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think that's harsh. We had something like half a million sign up to the NHS volunteers scheme, didn't we?

I've never heard of the "Land Army" thing.

Yep.

Not too long back plenty of people from these shores did such work.

Lots of things have changed that around, but now we could do with some public information films/adverts outlining what's involved and the benefits of such work.

Some of these large fruit farms for example have accommodation, health care facilities and even entertainment all on site.

Potential for a decent summer; some paid work, shagging, leisure activities, more shagging and even someone to help treat your dose afterwards. :)