Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Members
3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Now that was one fucked up film :D

I watched it and I thought that has got to be the worst film I’ve ever seen, then I got told to watch a Serbian Film it’s 10 times worse

Never has the courage to do it 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

All the Chinese take aways near me opened again at weekend. All bar one was shut all now reopened. Economy must restart. But with the appropriate safety measures being critical for all our sakes 

A Japanese brewery reopened near me too mate.

Obviously with appropriate safety measure for all their sake's ......

4 minutes ago, Horwich said:

We already knew that.....but an "underlying health" condition doesn't mean that you're definitely going to die in the near future. My friend who died had complications with his liver, it wasn't something that was life threatening, sadly though it was clearly bad enough to make him sufficiently ill that he didn't make it.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

We already knew that.....but an "underlying health" condition doesn't mean that you're definitely going to die in the near future. My friend who died had complications with his liver, it wasn't something that was life threatening, sadly though it was clearly bad enough to make him sufficiently ill that he didn't make it.

Perhaps they ought to sub- divide into Cov-19a for deaths with an underlying condition and Cov-19b for normally fit as a fiddle covid deaths. 

One of the very early reported deaths up here in Granada land was an 85 year old. It made the local tv news and I just thought,  "He was 85. That's a dozen extra years than my dad got!"

Edited by MickyD
Chubby thumb

• Moderators

A woman who I work with Gran died, she was 107

The figures should be about the numbers who have survived. 

The lockdown was in place to stop the NHS from falling to bits. This has been achieved.

Its now time to return to a little bit more of normality, but still be careful with distancing.

• Moderators

Fuck that, I'm staying away from people until we've had more time to understand the best way to treat this, given a "cure" ain't just around the corner. They are only just starting to realise that ramming ventilator pipes into your lungs may not be the best treatment as you are still 50/50. The last place you want to be is in a hospital, picking up secondary infections when your immune system is shot to shit. If you fancy a bit of that, crack on. It's not for me.

24 minutes ago, Horwich said:

The lockdown was in place to stop the NHS from falling to bits. This has been achieved.

Its now time to return to a little bit more of normality, but still be careful with distancing.

I agree, slowly, slowly come out of lockdown, and we'll hopefully be OK

Watch the Government release a massive death number today though to stop us all getting too excited, and to emphasise that lockdown has to continue (I'm joking by the way, I'm not one of those weirdos who think the Government would manipulate the numbers to increase/continue lockdown measures)

1 minute ago, Carlos said:

Fuck that, I'm staying away from people until we've had more time to understand the best way to treat this, given a "cure" ain't just around the corner. They are only just starting to realise that ramming ventilator pipes into your lungs may not be the best treatment as you are still 50/50. The last place you want to be is in a hospital, picking up secondary infections when your immune system is shot to shit. If you fancy a bit of that, crack on. It's not for me.

Having been ill with it, I'm following your lead - I'm going nowhere unless I have to, and will be keeping away from folk until we know how to treat it properly

• Site Supporter

There's a story emerging about a secondary infection that is very bad for children who've had the virus.

Might be best to wait and see what the scientists conclude about this maybe..?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-children-idUSKCN22A0XW?taid=5ea7f550e1ba140001281178&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

2 hours ago, Horwich said:

It's one reason why I thought the ONS figures were a better guide to this. Although as others have said it's only once we're truly through this that we can answer whether this has compressed death figures into a few months.

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1252518098047041536?s=20

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

I would take "serious pre-existing conditions" with a pinch of salt, until we see the data behind it 

If it includes diabetes, obesity and asthma then they're classing about 35-40% of the adult population of the UK as having serious health conditions. Whilst they are serious, you can live with them for decades.

If you look at the reports from the ICU, which has the most detailed analysis of patients, we can see that the average age of patients admitted to ICU is 60 (half are older, half are younger), 61% have a BMI of under 30, so aren't obese. 92.5% were able to live without any assistance before being admitted, and only 8% had very serious comorbidities. Obvioulsy if you do have serious comorbidity, your chances of death will be much higher, but the picture the ICU paints is that the majority of people dying aren't already on death's door. 

There's twice as many under 70s dying as vice versa.

https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports

This investigation highlights some strange government decisions on covid planning and PPE guidelines.  There are some serious questions to be answered IMO.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641

Panorama also investigated changes to the government guidance on what PPE NHS staff should wear.

In January this year, Covid-19 was officially designated a High Consequence Infectious Disease (HCID). The decision was made in consultation with a group of British experts.

A Health and Safety Executive evaluation of PPE published in 2019 had already recommended that all healthcare workers should wear a gown, FFP3 respirator mask and visor when dealing with HCIDs.

Those recommendations were in line with existing UK guidance.

But on 13 March this year, the government downgraded its guidance on PPE and told NHS staff they were safe to wear less protective aprons and basic surgical masks in all but the most high risk circumstances.

Panorama understands that on the same day, the government took steps to remove Covid-19 from the list of HCIDs.

But the experts who had recommended the coronavirus be put on the list in the first place were not consulted. Instead, the government asked its Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP).

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I would take "serious pre-existing conditions" with a pinch of salt, until we see the data behind it 

If it includes diabetes, obesity and asthma then they're classing about 35-40% of the adult population of the UK as having serious health conditions. Whilst they are serious, you can live with them for decades.

If you look at the reports from the ICU, which has the most detailed analysis of patients, we can see that the average age of patients admitted to ICU is 60 (half are older, half are younger), 61% have a BMI of under 30, so aren't obese. 92.5% were able to live without any assistance before being admitted, and only 8% had very serious comorbidities. Obvioulsy if you do have serious comorbidity, your chances of death will be much higher, but the picture the ICU paints is that the majority of people dying aren't already on death's door. 

There's twice as many under 70s dying as vice versa.

https://www.icnarc.org/Our-Audit/Audits/Cmp/Reports

Given the majority of the population is someway under 70, you would expect more fatalities.

Add to that the fact that the olds have been isolating for some time it's no bloody wonder.

I'm sure you'll agree a better figure would be the proportion dying within each age group.

I do agree that it's not just a disease that gets the old and sick.

23 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Exactly - there's lots of reports now claiming that respiratory failure is  only causing about half of the deaths - for example in the ICU 30% require kidney support (dialysis etc) - (that's compared to historic figure of 4% of Pneumonia patients in ICU)

7% have neurological issues, compared to less than 1% of Pneumonia

There's also data showing that many of those dying outside the hospital are dying of strokes and heart attacks, without any fever or cough,/shortness of breath, autopsies are showing that there's a blood clotting issue in many of the dead.

The thought is that it's affecting multiple organs, brain, liver, kidney, heart, lungs, and the circulatory, nervous and digestive systems, but we've been focusing mainly on those with lung symptoms, because they're easy to see and diagnose earlier.

Treatment is going to change.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Given the majority of the population is someway under 70, you would expect more fatalities.

Add to that the fact that the olds have been isolating for some time it's no bloody wonder.

I'm sure you'll agree a better figure would be the proportion dying within each age group.

I do agree that it's not just a disease that gets the old and sick.

I agree 

these are the numbers of fatalities and % of those admitted, from the ICU report.  

Doesnt seem to be much difference when you get to 60+, I suspect probably late 50's if the report was more detailed.

Point I'm trying to make is some are arguing (not on here) that shielding the over 70s and vulnerable after restrictions are relaxed is going to allow everyone else to go about their business without risk of death - I doubt that will be the case, because most of the people dying today in the ICU aren't over 70 or classed as vulnerable.

16-39  66 (22%)

40-49  128 (27%)

50-59  429 (43%)

60-69  701 (58%)

70-79 617 (68%)

80+ 125  (69%)

There's

5.5 million 70-79 yr olds in UK 

7 million 60-69 

9 million 50-59