Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

6 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Is that steam engine thing still in Bolton town centre? If so it needs smashing up or graffiti all over it. Steam power. In the North West. Powering the cotton trade. Where did cotton come from? How did it get here? Our town was built on the back of heinous crimes. Smash the fucking thing up. Hang your heads in shame WWayers. We are all complicit. This sense of shame is never ending 

Is it not possible to not judge the men of yesterday by the standards of today, but to still feel it to be wrong, move on and maybe just do our bit to ensure everyone today has the same opportunity and lack of oppression?

• Members
16 minutes ago, Ani said:

But a statue is not ‘history’ it is a recognition/praise for an individual. If it is history I assume there is reference on there to how and where he made his money. 

Yeah but it’s a reminder of history. You see a statue maybe you’ll have a look at it, read into it and do some research and educate. We shouldn’t be getting rid of reminders of the past.

It happened, you can’t change that, all you’re doing is brushing it under the carpet. 

Just now, Rudy said:

Yeah but it’s a reminder of history. You see a statue maybe you’ll have a look at it, read into it and do some research and educate. We shouldn’t be getting rid of reminders of the past.

It happened, you can’t change that, all you’re doing is brushing it under the carpet. 

If it is a historical piece it should contain the full details. It does nt. As Swanny points out it was built to celebrate his contribution to the area. That is not brushing it under the carpet it deleting/ignoring history. 

As I said earlier I do not agree with it being pulled down by protesters especially as the local had voted to keep it. 

Is anyone seriously suggesting that a statue of Lord Leverhulme is contributing to black people feeling oppressed?  Fucking hell! I bet 99% of them haven't got a clue about his history either.

Best solution for me is to teach British History better at school. Warts and all. 

• Site Supporter

If you want to understand systemic racism, just listen to the people who even compare it to some protestors toppling a statue of a slave trader.

"I know there's loads of racism about, but there's no need to ruin a statue of a slave trader." ~ someone who has never been affected by racism.

Get to fuck.

5 hours ago, kent_white said:

Is anyone seriously suggesting that a statue of Lord Leverhulme is contributing to black people feeling oppressed?  Fucking hell! I bet 99% of them haven't got a clue about his history either.

Best solution for me is to teach British History better at school. Warts and all. 

absolutely

8 hours ago, Rudy said:

7 hours ago, Cheese said:

If you want to understand systemic racism, just listen to the people who even compare it to some protestors toppling a statue of a slave trader.

"I know there's loads of racism about, but there's no need to ruin a statue of a slave trader." ~ someone who has never been affected by racism.

Get to fuck.

Classic Cheese 

9 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Barnes has been sticking up for Keith lemon hasn’t he? 

You see that’s when you know we’re fucked when Keith lemon is brought into a debate.  

shut the doors turn off the lights we are fucked 

• Members
15 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think most folk here have stuck to it, sometimes you get a distorted view of what’s going on from afar. Nerja is lovely, enjoy. Was hoping you was a Costa Blanca white. 😂

Another Andaluz white :yahoo:

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

You see that’s when you know we’re fucked when Keith lemon is brought into a debate.  

shut the doors turn off the lights we are fucked 

Exactly the place is fucked

Had tv on for 10mins this morning then turned off sick of hearing about it 

• Members
8 hours ago, Ani said:

But a statue is not ‘history’ it is a recognition/praise for an individual. If it is history I assume there is reference on there to how and where he made his money. 

Seems anything philanthropic can be forgotten. Just highlight the bit you don't like (note - none of us like it but it happened centuries ago - very different times. Folk were nothing like as enlightened, informed and educated as they are now).

Rudy is spot on. The questions asked about such statues might well lead to discussions on the revolting wrongs of slavery. If it's at the bottom of Bristol harbour, many a question by curious youngsters/people will probably never arise.

Thunberg was bad enough. Now more of the little cunts are out on the streets en masse causing mayhem in nothing more than a 'look how virtuous I am' parade.

Water cannon, deploy tasers, baton charge - preferably in that order.

1 minute ago, Moon boy said:

Does anyone know why the ‘R’ number has gone above 1 in the North West?

If it has which areas have gone above 1, are there any Government figures to show this?

Hurrah we've found him!! The person who still believes in government figures😂

• Members
19 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Seems anything philanthropic can be forgotten. Just highlight the bit you don't like (note - none of us like it but it happened centuries ago - very different times. Folk were nothing like as enlightened, informed and educated as they are now).

Rudy is spot on. The questions asked about such statues might well lead to discussions on the revolting wrongs of slavery. If it's at the bottom of Bristol harbour, many a question by curious youngsters/people will probably never arise.

Thunberg was bad enough. Now more of the little cunts are out on the streets en masse causing mayhem in nothing more than a 'look how virtuous I am' parade.

Me and the wife took my sister to Paris couple of years ago, there was a statue of Churchill, she looked and said who’s that grumpy man statue she was 10 at the time, So I explained it then led to nazis and the war and what it was like.

Now if she hadn’t have seen it she wouldn’t have asked. They’re life little history prompts and should, intrigue you, some should even offend you. 
Ive heard someone say the general lee and confederate ones should be taken to a museum, but who’s gonna see it as often as you would driving past it everyday, might attract the local right wing group, but good it should do and highlight that whilst changes have been made there’s still a way to go. 

If anyone says there should be a hitter one whilst I’m at it to argue your point I’ll throw you into the Bristol harbour 

9 hours ago, jules_darby said:

Is it not possible to not judge the men of yesterday by the standards of today, but to still feel it to be wrong, move on and maybe just do our bit to ensure everyone today has the same opportunity and lack of oppression?

Sadly apparently not. We have to eradicate everything of the past that doesn’t fit the present “norm”

• Members
3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

If anyone says there should be a hitler one whilst I’m at it to argue your point I’ll throw you into the Bristol harbour 

Or a Stalin one for that matter. He was an even bigger cunt if you judge by statistics.

• Members
2 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Or a Stalin one for that matter. He was an even bigger cunt if you judge by statistics.

There is a Ghengis Khan one in Mongolia but you’re not pulling that cunt down 😂

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Me and the wife took my sister to Paris couple of years ago, there was a statue of Churchill, she looked and said who’s that grumpy man statue she was 10 at the time, So I explained it then led to nazis and the war and what it was like.

Now if she hadn’t have seen it she wouldn’t have asked. They’re life little history prompts and should, intrigue you, some should even offend you. 
Ive heard someone say the general lee and confederate ones should be taken to a museum, but who’s gonna see it as often as you would driving past it everyday, might attract the local right wing group, but good it should do and highlight that whilst changes have been made there’s still a way to go. 

If anyone says there should be a hitter one whilst I’m at it to argue your point I’ll throw you into the Bristol harbour 

I read that as you and your wife went to Paris and she was 10 at the time 😁 has to read it again to figure out what the fuck was going on pal. 

44 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

We’re getting the band back together 

• Members
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I read that as you and your wife went to Paris and she was 10 at the time 😁 has to read it again to figure out what the fuck was going on pal. 

She’s argue that I have the mind of a 10 year old