Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
Just now, Escobarp said:

Same burnham that would have had some say in the decision to allow the BLM protests yesterday in Manchester? Or a different burnham that cares about the transmission of a deadly virus? 

Whatever suits...

Kardashians would be proud of his eyebrows.

Just now, Steejay said:

Whatever suits...

They’ve more public personas than I care to count. It really is whatever is the hot topic for them and will help their careers. Not one thought for public safety or Not endangering human life has been given to anyone who allowed those protests yesterday in Manchester and London etc yesterday 

up here they were actually socially distanced and really really well organized. So all credit to them for getting the point across in such a manner. An example to all 

Just now, Escobarp said:

They’ve more public personas than I care to count. It really is whatever is the hot topic for them and will help their careers. Not one thought for public safety or Not endangering human life has been given to anyone who allowed those protests yesterday in Manchester and London etc yesterday 

up here they were actually socially distanced and really really well organized. So all credit to them for getting the point across in such a manner. An example to all 

I think the countries with women in charge have done better in this pandemic.The New Zealand woman has done a fantastic job for her country

5 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

One of 10 studies, ccording to Matt Hancock

Knobhead politicians politicising whichever study they want; fancy that. Burnham is useless.

Its Public Health England joint study with Cambridge University, they present 3 figures for each area. 0.83  1.01 and 1.18 are the R rates for NW. It's transparent, they include all the data behind the methodology and show the data sources. 

Burnham has also been clear that theres more than one study, and has repeatedly tweeted the findings from another main study, by the CMMID, which shows NW at 0.8

• Site Supporter

Bristol has been a Labour stronghold for decades (bar a brief dalliance with LD)

Why didn't they get it removed?

It's all bullshit, this.

We KNOW slavery was shit and shameful, but last time I looked it hasn't been legal for over a hundred years and no-one is shouting for its return.

There are so few racists in the UK that they hide in small clusters on the internet. Same as the paedos.

Best advice is just to crack on with your life, call out racism when and if you see it, and don't be a cunt.

Also, I've written to Eavis and told him that the Glastonbury Festival is effectively a protest about global warming, so he may as well crack on.

8 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Its Public Health England joint study with Cambridge University, they present 3 figures for each area. 0.83  1.01 and 1.18 are the R rates for NW. It's transparent, they include all the data behind the methodology and show the data sources. 

Burnham has also been clear that theres more than one study, and has repeatedly tweeted the findings from another main study, by the CMMID, which shows NW at 0.8

Sure

But he sure jumped on the one he wanted!

Edited by boltondiver

Kids need to go back to School not just for Educational reasons but for social reasons, parents need to go back to work, where it is safe to do so, single parents with kids at home must, by now, be absolutely at their wits end, this is storing up massive mental health problems for everybody.

Local schools, Heads, Governors, Teachers need to find a way to get Schools up and running and be more pro-active, it’s obvious some can’t be arsed,

The Unions are trying to say Teachers will need another 6 weeks off at the normal end of the school year, ffs

10 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We can accept these figures along with other studies but the North West is a big area, they’re not much use unless they can point out more local infections, then we can act accordingly.

ps. not holding you responsible peelyfeet

21 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Sure

But he sure jumped on the one he wanted!

It's the one co-produced by the government, so I'm not surprised, it has the most Kudos. He wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't jump on it.

I think you need to read his tweets, and read the letter he and the liverpool mayor have  sent to the government. They want  the R number that the govmt is recognising to published at local level so that we have a better idea of where the infections are, and so local authorities can prepare for local lockdowns earlier if required.

Sounds like a good idea to me

Edited by peelyfeet

2 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Kids need to go back to School not just for Educational reasons but for social reasons, parents need to go back to work, where it is safe to do so, single parents with kids at home must, by now, be absolutely at their wits end, this is storing up massive mental health problems for everybody.

On the positive side the ones who have dropped out kids for the benefit money and a free home rather than get a job are having to look after their kids for their money

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Local schools, Heads, Governors, Teachers need to find a way to get Schools up and running and be more pro-active, it’s obvious some can’t be arsed,

The Unions are trying to say Teachers will need another 6 weeks off at the normal end of the school year, ffs

Ideally yes. However, the government's own 5 tests include the R being below 1.

As a consequence of this, my lad's school, together with others are meeting with phe this afternoon. I expect the return to be delayed.

I've already decided that so long as it's above 1, he won't be returning anyway; not an easy decision, but for the sake of 30 hours schooling, which can be done online, I'm not prepared to accept the increased risk to the family.

18 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Thanks for the link peelyfeet

Are these ‘official ‘ figures?

The difference between the North West and most of the others is not even point 1 so why are Burnham and local media making a big thing of it.

Whereabouts in the North West has it gone up? , if it’s in a suburb of Manchester why should School openings in Bolton be delayed?

All this’R’ stuff is being used ‘Politically’ by people to further their own agenda, it’s all bollocks. We need proper factual information to be able to form our own risk assessment 

I think the only number that has remained consistent, factual and not open to manipulations is the daily number of hospitalisations. Problem is by the time that starts going up it's already too late.

Everything else you can cherry pick what you like, pretty much. If 9 studies going to SAGE say that R is just below one, and one say it's just above, you can use that one to urge caution.

Similarly, the ONS data on new infections say that there are 5k new cases every day. The PHE/Oxford study has it at 17k in England alone and (according to the guy running it) all the other estimates going into SAGE are even higher. But if you're Matt Hancock you take the lowest number and announce that to the nation.

As I've said before, ultimately cases/deaths will go up or they won't, regardless of who's spinning what figures. But the fact a government study reckons that R is above 1 in places and daily numbers of new cases are over 17k, is enough for me to suggest we should be treading very carefully - regardless of what other numbers are available

1 hour ago, Steejay said:

Whatever suits...

Haha, that didn't go unnoticed here either, seen him on news last night and said to the Mrs, has he drawn them fuckers on.

4 hours ago, Steejay said:

Bristol should have a museum informing folks how it became rich 400 years ago on the back of the slave trade.

I know nothing about the slave trade over here but it could become an educational centre and a tourist destination.

I've been to Berlin, Krakow etc & come away much more enlightened. New York has the 9/11 visitor centre.

Dubrovnik has a small museum highlighting the atrocities from both sides of the civil war.

Yon mon can be fished out & put in the stocks at the new gaff.

They do - in fact Bristol has lots of museums and historic houses looking at its own history https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk

M Shed (which is just opposite where the statue was dropped in the river) opened about 8 years ago (possibly more) and is all about Bristol and it’s place in the world - and indeed how it was built on slavery.

Worth a weekend visit certainly, great places to visit with some lovely bars. 

Just now, radcliffewhite1 said:

Been branded around 22nd for pubs with beer gardens hopefully the big man will announce it later, @Rudy get working on a venue for the day out😃 

Jolly boys day out is keeping me going.  I’ve even decided I’m having a couple of liveners in bury before I get on the metro into manc if that’s where we are doing 

@Rudy we need to start formulating a plan. No riff raff and no lonsdale.