Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, royal white said:

Would you agree that if we are recording deaths the correct way that many other countries aren’t? 

I don’t think we’re recording it perfectly.

Would imagine the same applies everywhere.

that said, first world countries won’t be far off. I think the likes of China and third world places will either lie or just not have a clue.

Just now, mickbrown said:

Aye, went hard and went early. That’s the key. We only thought about quarantining arrivals a couple of weeks ago. Now we’re considering masks in July. 

It’s been arse about tit from day one

I would agree with you some of these countries closer to China acted hard and decisively. But I’m comparison to all of Europe the Vietnamese Koreans and Thais have all handled this with much more vigour. But there populations are more used to being told what to do. Isn’t an excuse cos I don’t need to make one but it’s a very valid point and should be considered. 

1 hour ago, royal white said:

Would you agree that if we are recording deaths the correct way that many other countries aren’t? 

It doesn't go all one way. Some countries are stricter than we are. Belgium heads the list of deaths per capita in Europe but they attributed every single death to covid where it was possibly a factor. 

Looking at excess mortality figures gives a good insight, but whichever way you look at it and whatever your suspicions over how other countries are counting, the uk figures have been dreadful.

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree with you some of these countries closer to China acted hard and decisively. But I’m comparison to all of Europe the Vietnamese Koreans and Thais have all handled this with much more vigour. But there populations are more used to being told what to do. Isn’t an excuse cos I don’t need to make one but it’s a very valid point and should be considered. 

Fair point. Also we’re never going to get folk to comply when you’ve got the likes of Cummings and Jenrick doing whatever the fuck they like

12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Fair point. Also we’re never going to get folk to comply when you’ve got the likes of Cummings and Jenrick doing whatever the fuck they like

I would agree. On one hand they are employing behavioral scientists to advise the government as we are a difficult nation to control (a lot of cunts) and then those at the top go and display utter contempt. Certainly hasn’t helped (understatement) 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would agree. On one hand they are employing behavioral scientists to advise the government as we are a difficult nation to control (a lot of cunts) and then those at the top go and display utter contempt. Certainly hasn’t helped (understatement) 

We definitely are a bunch of cunts😀

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I prefer to focus on the UK economy and how that is doing and it’s fucked. We are just going over the edge of a slope and people still can’t see it 

Can't help but agree with you on this point. We are absolutely fucked, it's started to get bad, but it's going to get lots, lots worse yet. Wait until Sept/Oct/Nov thousands will be losing their jobs. I heard something the other day where it was suggested 2020 could see the last 18 years growth quoted out. I've heard some say that we'll see a "boom" next year, I just don't see that, I think it's a slow and steady climb out of this shitstorm. Make no mistake, this could end up being a depression, not a recession

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

the Vietnamese Koreans and Thais have all handled this with much more vigour. But there populations are more used to being told what to do. Isn’t an excuse cos I don’t need to make one but it’s a very valid point and should be considered. 

Those countries that you mention also had a "dry run" at dealing with a pandemic fairly recently as well. Us in the West had no idea how to deal with it at all it seems.

38 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Those countries that you mention also had a "dry run" at dealing with a pandemic fairly recently as well. Us in the West had no idea how to deal with it at all it seems.

Agreed and I’ve said that before mate. They had SARS to deal with so had some idea. Plus they’re not as much of a bunch of dicks generally speaking 

41 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Can't help but agree with you on this point. We are absolutely fucked, it's started to get bad, but it's going to get lots, lots worse yet. Wait until Sept/Oct/Nov thousands will be losing their jobs. I heard something the other day where it was suggested 2020 could see the last 18 years growth quoted out. I've heard some say that we'll see a "boom" next year, I just don't see that, I think it's a slow and steady climb out of this shitstorm. Make no mistake, this could end up being a depression, not a recession

Very well put and yeah it’s going to be grim. Hold onto the hats time. Let’s hope we are wrong though and we are booming next year. Something tells me that’s rather optimistic 

• Site Supporter

My industry has just seen a couple of record months.

But I think it’s about to fall off a cliff.

Hope to fuck I’m wrong.

This is not a normal economic crash, there is genuine cause for a degree of optimism in that we’ve merely paused - best way is that we just have to live with tax rises for a few years but job losses are kept to a modest figure.

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

Hope to fuck I’m wrong.

This is not a normal economic crash, there is genuine cause for a degree of optimism in that we’ve merely paused - best way is that we just have to live with tax rises for a few years but job losses are kept to a modest figure.

That’s just pent up essential demand possibly? Hopefully it’s consistently good for you.  We’ve been mad busy on my side of the business from March to June but this month it’s slowed right down worryingly so. but we are now picking up more profitable business from a different revenue stream but not enough to balance the books and far less of the core business which effectively keeps us all in jobs. 

just got to make myself as indispensable as possible 

Edited by Escobarp

Biggest issue we’ve got is businesses not paying us. That’s going to cause a huge issue from a cash flow perspective very soon but we haven’t been able to do much about it til now. But we luckily have a very cash rich parent company so we will be ok but a bit bumpy 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

That’s just pent up essential demand possibly? Hopefully it’s consistently good for you.  We’ve been mad busy on my side of the business from March to June but this month it’s slowed right down worryingly so. but we are now picking up more profitable business from a different revenue stream but not enough to balance the books and far less of the core business which effectively keeps us all in jobs. 

just got to make myself as indispensable as possible 

The spike has come from a lot of people doing houses up whilst locked down.

Hopefully the new build sites will get back to full steam but the market in general is definitely on edge.

We’ll know soon enough!

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Hope to fuck I’m wrong.

Despite of Brexit ? 😉🙈💣

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Despite of Brexit ? 😉🙈💣

We’re not out yet.....

As I say, everyone’s just been paid to sit at home so they’ve all done their gaffs up. Ask any builders merchant.

There were probably some bog roll salesmen putting deposits down on Ferrari’s 2 months ago.

Bet you’ve been busy too....?

Edited by Spider

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

We’re not out yet.....

As I say, everyone’s just been paid to sit at home so they’ve all done their gaffs up. Ask any builders merchant.

There were probably some bog roll salesmen putting deposits down on Ferrari’s 2 months ago.

Yes pal, not had a day off.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Yes pal, not had a day off.

Long may it continue.

Unfortunately, none of the last few weeks has been because our former export customers have changed their minds...

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

We’re not out yet.....

Never seen so many houses near me having block paving done at the front. There were 6 or 7 on one street alone, in the space of a couple of months.