Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Just now, mickbrown said:

Nah. Not on this case. The term MSM  is used by the likes of Tommy Robinson, David Icke and other nutters. The implication is that they are feeding us shite, and us the ‘sheeple’ are soaking it up, whereas only them, the enlightened, know about lizard people. Nutters. Just say media. 

No mate. I use the term to define the main UK media agencies. That’s it. Nothing else to it. No insinuations of a collective desire to hoodwink the public etc. just a term to describe a section of the media. 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

No mate. I use the term to define the main UK media agencies. That’s it. Nothing else to it. No insinuations of a collective desire to hoodwink the public etc. just a term to describe a section of the media. 

Fair enough. Doubt that’s how David Icke uses it. 

7 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Or tommy Robinson. But it doesn’t make everyone’s use of the term the same that’s all I’m saying 

You know what he means 

Most bang on with stuff like ‘why aren’t the MSM reporting this’ like it’s some sort of cover up 

Just another conspiracy theory peddled by idiots 

3 minutes ago, Nowack said:

So it's more than political bias its political influence. 

It’s a number of factors and there isn’t a definitive description imo. I use it to loosely club together the main UK media outlets. What I posted above was just another take. 

like most things there will be varying viewpoints.

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

You know what he means 

Most bang on with stuff like ‘why aren’t the MSM reporting this’ like it’s some sort of cover up 

Just another conspiracy theory peddled by idiots 

So if someone says ‘why aren’t the BBC reporting this?’ It’s ok? It’s not the question but the term MSM that makes them an idiot?

MSM is used to distinguish between social media (SM) and the main media organisations (MMO)

Sorry for starting my sentence with so.

26 minutes ago, Nowack said:

What is the none mainstream media? Is it simply a way to differentiate between  the regulated and the unregulated. 

They refer to it as "MSM" if it's something they don't agree with and "MSM" isn't mentioned if it is agreeable. 

It seems to be how it works

28 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

It must be bad if saying or typing MSM upsets people, ffs (by the way that means FOR FUCKS SAKE).

I think it is more the way MSM is used as a term to basically describe the media who the author typically disagrees with and implies they all must be bias. Often then with a link to much more reliable source on Twitter. 😁
‘You won’t find any coverage of this on MSM’ followed by a link to my nephews weekend cricket result does not demonstrate that MSM is bias against 2nd division cricket in Bolton. 
I have mates on both sides of the political divide and both sides happily quote news sources that back up their views and then in next post dismiss MSM for their ‘obvious’ right (or left) wing balance. 
It has just become a meaningless hipster type phrase so along with sleeve tattooes, skinny jens on grown men and beards can  be stuck in room 101 for me. If I had my way Room 101 would be very full. 

Edited by Ani

40 minutes ago, deane koontz said:

They refer to it as "MSM" if it's something they don't agree with and "MSM" isn't mentioned if it is agreeable. 

It seems to be how it works

No it’s simply the mainstream media if it comes from a mainstream source. It’s really not overly complex this 

13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

MSM - Main stream media.

I'm gonna carry on using it, only 3 letters and quicker to type, bit like the BBC or CBA (Can't be arsed). Nothing hip about it, I think some people are over thinking it.

media = 5 taps on keyboard on iPhone 

MSM = 6 taps as you put caps lock on each time. 

This assumes used mid sentence. 

pedantic = 8 taps. 😂😂😎  

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

You do know the CAPS key stays on once you press it 🤔

2 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

You do know the CAPS key stays on once you press it 🤔

Mine goes off after being used. 

I heard you first time. 

41 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think it is more the way MSM is used as a term to basically describe the media who the author typically disagrees with and implies they all must be bias. Often then with a link to much more reliable source on Twitter. 😁
‘You won’t find any coverage of this on MSM’ followed by a link to my nephews weekend cricket result does not demonstrate that MSM is bias against 2nd division cricket in Bolton. 
I have mates on both sides of the political divide and both sides happily quote news sources that back up their views and then in next post dismiss MSM for their ‘obvious’ right (or left) wing balance. 
It has just become a meaningless hipster type phrase so along with sleeve tattooes, skinny jens on grown men and beards can  be stuck in room 101 for me. If I had my way Room 101 would be very full. 

Exactly,  if your claim is that MSM content is simplistic, biased fodder for the sheeple to consume, and then follow this up, with a link from a more biased, less reputable source , like Breitbart news or Alternet, that shows the real "truth", you're just showing what your own bias is.

Trump does it by claiming fake news on something he doesn't like , then endorsing  a link to a crazy voodoo priestess saying something he does like. It's an extension of his narcissistic "I'm so clever, everything I know is right " character trait. 

11 hours ago, tkonion said:

You're on point with the protecting the vulnerable comment. I've been saying for the last few weeks that we should put some concerted effort into protecting those who are vulnerable and then everybody else get back to behaving as normal as they are comfortable with and be treated if infected, if the vulnerable are shielded effectively the numbers of infected with serious complications shouldn't be overwhelming.

The alternative, if an effective vaccine or treatment isn't found soon, is mass unemployment, cuts in services, tax rises and probably a long lasting depression.

On the evidence available to me I prefer the alternative in the first paragraph, am I missing something?

I don't think its an either / or choice. There's degrees of both, and the tools we use to combat illness and protect the economy are going to be fluid. Going to be tricky to get it spot on. Theyre going to get criticised regardless I fear.