This what I mean:

Number of confirmed covid-19 cases in each area between August 22 and 28

Page 1 of 2
Area Cases
Breightmet South & Darcy Lever 16
Breightmet North 10
Tonge 9
Hall I' th' Wood 8

Hallith is only half a dozen streets, it's not even an area!

Where's that from?? thanks 

• Site Supporter

My eldest is going to seriously flunk his last year. Don't want to go into too much detail but he has struggled the last 2 years with anxiety and has missed far too much school already. This long lay off after slowly getting back to a normal timetable at the end of Feb means we are back to square one again.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

My eldest is going to seriously flunk his last year. Don't want to go into too much detail but he has struggled the last 2 years with anxiety and has missed far too much school already. This long lay off after slowly getting back to a normal timetable at the end of Feb means we are back to square one again.

If he needs any maths help, just ask. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I really appreciate the offer Swanny 👍

I will see how the next couple of months go but might take you up on your offer pal

One of the best resources I've seen recently is GCSE pod. Covers a few subjects and quite easy to follow, 

• Site Supporter

Schools must stay open, no matter what.

”women and children first” in a crisis.

We cannot fail the kids. If some oldies have to suffer then so be it. I suspect some diligent hand washing and mask wearing can avert a disaster.

Non negotiable for me. They have to be in school.

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Surely the school are aware of his health issues and help in some way?

We've just had weeks of students complaining about the effects of the exam situation on their mental health, so a youngster with a long term problem must be recognised as needing extra help.

Good luck with it all.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Surely the school are aware of his health issues and help in some way?

We've just had weeks of students complaining about the effects of the exam situation on their mental health, so a youngster with a long term problem must be recognised as needing extra help.

Good luck with it all.

They are pal but at the end of the day they are struggling with everything as it is. They have been really supportive over the last couple of years but Covid has really stretched them I think as they try to get everyone back safely.

It is a shame as he is a clever lad but his mental health has really set him back socially and academically. That said he has a small set of mates who aren't dicks nor nerds. Could be worse but he has so much potential he just isn't close to untapping. 

I have a feeling though regardless of his issues, loads of kids his age just don't see their path at that age, I know I didn't really.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

They are pal but at the end of the day they are struggling with everything as it is. They have been really supportive over the last couple of years but Covid has really stretched them I think as they try to get everyone back safely.

It is a shame as he is a clever lad but his mental health has really set him back socially and academically. That said he has a small set of mates who aren't dicks nor nerds. Could be worse but he has so much potential he just isn't close to untapping. 

I have a feeling though regardless of his issues, loads of kids his age just don't see their path at that age, I know I didn't really.

You’re there for him.

Sounds a bit lightweight, but that’s all he needs. Many kids don’t have much at home where it’s needed most.

Your support will get him through 👍

Just read a piece about the office economy taking massive hit with all this, surely that's the last piece of the jigsaw to get things back going.

Stationary firms, cleaners, FM, catering dudes, receptionists etc etc, they shouldn't be forgotten so big firms can save money keeping folk at home.

27 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Just read a piece about the office economy taking massive hit with all this, surely that's the last piece of the jigsaw to get things back going.

Stationary firms, cleaners, FM, catering dudes, receptionists etc etc, they shouldn't be forgotten so big firms can save money keeping folk at home.

I think out of this firms will reassess how they work. Why maintain a large office when people can work from home ? 

42 minutes ago, Ani said:

I think out of this firms will reassess how they work. Why maintain a large office when people can work from home ? 

Productivity? Wellbeing? God knows but theres a massive industry going to go down the swanne if we're not careful.

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

There'll be a gazillion derelict tower blocks all over manctopia for a start. Then theres the people that build them. 

My new office is next door to my old one in Pancras Square. Went to pick up some stuff and there is no one in the building 10 people most on each floor. New place of work's office reopens on the 13th but its voluntary if you want to go in or not, productivity hasn't gone down at all, so no one is forcing anyone back. As ive said Facebook have just pulled the plug on their uk hq in the area, Google aren't making anyone go back until well into next year. All the restaurants such as Leon, Pret etc shut.

To be honest I have little sympathy. For years certain firms have thrived on a 'be in, be seen' working culture which has allowed rail companies to keep putting up fares, landlords to charge extortionate rents for office space and private homes, lunchtime economy to put bloody sandwiches up to a fiver.

We've had the technology for ages but its been used by firms to extend the working day by never being offline rather than create more flexible working. Now firms can see the benefits - more productive happier staff and massively lower overheads (they are not stupid, this is the main driver)

Also, it means a boost to other parts of the UK if folk can work in say Darwin for a company based in London without having to move. It is also boom time for local businesses who now have more people on their doorstep. 5 days I week I left home at 7am got through the door at 7.30pm - now I'm using loads more of the local shops, cinemas etc

I agree its a huge benefit for those in a nice home with quiet working space etc and provision has to be made for younger staff who need that office environment (not least to make friends etc) However, there is an argument to say that this should hopefully drive rents down and city centres go back to the more traditional model of younger people in the centre and older people moving out to the suburbs - Glasgow is the only city where this us the case in large numbers demografically and thats down to lower rental prices for decent places.

So the government can bleet on, but the city centre working arrangement isn't coming back anytime soon as far as I can see. Those that have made their fortunes on people being forced into working hours away from where they live, with less productivity and unable yo spend more time with family and kids - to be honest, as i say, I find it hard to sympathise. 

12 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

My new office is next door to my old one in Pancras Square. Went to pick up some stuff and there is no one in the building 10 people most on each floor. New place of work's office reopens on the 13th but its voluntary if you want to go in or not, productivity hasn't gone down at all, so no one is forcing anyone back. As ive said Facebook have just pulled the plug on their uk hq in the area, Google aren't making anyone go back until well into next year. All the restaurants such as Leon, Pret etc shut.

To be honest I have little sympathy. For years certain firms have thrived on a 'be in, be seen' working culture which has allowed rail companies to keep putting up fares, landlords to charge extortionate rents for office space and private homes, lunchtime economy to put bloody sandwiches up to a fiver.

We've had the technology for ages but its been used by firms to extend the working day by never being offline rather than create more flexible working. Now firms can see the benefits - more productive happier staff and massively lower overheads (they are not stupid, this is the main driver)

Also, it means a boost to other parts of the UK if folk can work in say Darwin for a company based in London without having to move. It is also boom time for local businesses who now have more people on their doorstep. 5 days I week I left home at 7am got through the door at 7.30pm - now I'm using loads more of the local shops, cinemas etc

I agree its a huge benefit for those in a nice home with quiet working space etc and provision has to be made for younger staff who need that office environment (not least to make friends etc) However, there is an argument to say that this should hopefully drive rents down and city centres go back to the more traditional model of younger people in the centre and older people moving out to the suburbs - Glasgow is the only city where this us the case in large numbers demografically and thats down to lower rental prices for decent places.

So the government can bleet on, but the city centre working arrangement isn't coming back anytime soon as far as I can see. Those that have made their fortunes on people being forced into working hours away from where they live, with less productivity and unable yo spend more time with family and kids - to be honest, as i say, I find it hard to sympathise. 

Darwin, Northern Territory or

Darwen, Lancashire?