Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

20 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

With regard to the number of infections rising, it appears that hospital admissions are not following the same upward trend. 

That's probably because it's the 18-45 age group that are making up the vast majority of the new cases. 

The problem will be if they start to pass it on to Grandma and Grandad. Time will tell.

10 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

With regard to the number of infections rising, it appears that hospital admissions are not following the same upward trend. 

We only have data up to 2nd Sept for hospitalisations, and most folk take 5 days to show symptoms, then a few more before they turn up to hospital, so the hospitslisation  data is a reflection of the infection rate from about 2-3 weeks previous.

Also, as has been mentioned above several times, it's now also not always about how many people die. It's becoming more and more apparent that there are long term health issues for some who have had the virus. So whilst we may not have as many people pegging it now, but we still don't want people getting the virus, and potentially storing up issues for the NHS in 10, 20 or 30 years time.

I'd imagine that we'll be wearing masks and socially distancing for a minimum of another 6 months, which is a bit shit - of we get over winter without any serious outbreaks or spikes, then hopefully we can start to relax a little bit more in the spring time...........by that time, fuck knows how many people will be out of work though, especially in travel and hospitality industries.

Sadly, another of our customers has just told 10 out of their 35 line workers they're no longer required, due to a downturn in work. They produce products for refrigeration units for restaurants/cafes/hotels etc, they're business has taken a hammering and doesn't look like recovering anytime soon. They're retaining all the staff until furlough stops, then 10 of them are for the chop. Sad times.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

You can't win in this world. If you take preventative measures and they work, hard-of-thinking folk think the measures were unneccesary.

had this very conversation on Friday. One of my mates was saying that now the deaths seem to be on their way down, we should stop wearing masks and get back to normal, when it was pointed out to him that wearing of masks and social distancing was one of the reasons why deaths were reducing, and if we stopped now, rates might start to rise, he really couldn't see the correlation at all. Amazingly, he works in food processing as well, so you'd hope he would be a bit more clued up

I was at a football tournament with yoof yesterday in St Helens.  Refreshments were put on and when asking for a coffee, the lady on the stall poured the hot water into a cup for me ... and then directed me towards a table where I could help myself to the coffee, milk and sugar ... so about 200 parents there all touching the same plastic spoons and cartons of milk ... and no sanitizer in sight.

I then popped over to the Morrisons across the road rather than do that again, realised I'd forgotten my fucking mask so had to traipse back for it, went into Morrisons and realised I was only one of the approx 30% of folk wearing one.

The attitudes of far too many are why this isn't going away any time soon.

13 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I was at a football tournament with yoof yesterday in St Helens.  Refreshments were put on and when asking for a coffee, the lady on the stall poured the hot water into a cup for me ... and then directed me towards a table where I could help myself to the coffee, milk and sugar ... so about 200 parents there all touching the same plastic spoons and cartons of milk ... and no sanitizer in sight.

I then popped over to the Morrisons across the road rather than do that again, realised I'd forgotten my fucking mask so had to traipse back for it, went into Morrisons and realised I was only one of the approx 30% of folk wearing one.

The attitudes of far too many are why this isn't going away any time soon.

That post perfectly sums up why it's not going away as quickly as it could. Too many thick/gormless cunts around, who think it won't or doesn't affect them

35 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We only have data up to 2nd Sept for hospitalisations, and most folk take 5 days to show symptoms, then a few more before they turn up to hospital, so the hospitslisation  data is a reflection of the infection rate from about 2-3 weeks previous.

That data does state as of 4th Sept. though. The infection numbers started to rise about 11th  August so it should have had an impact by now. I said similar two weeks ago and that we would have a clearer picture in two weeks. Maybe in another two weeks, it will be even clearer.

The fact is, if you don't breathe in the viral particles, you have a miniscule chance of catching it.

The best way to avoid breathing it in, or passing it on is to avoid being close to people, and if you absolutely have to be close, use barriers and wind to help.

That's it. 

28 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

That data does state as of 4th Sept. though. The infection numbers started to rise about 11th  August so it should have had an impact by now. I said similar two weeks ago and that we would have a clearer picture in two weeks. Maybe in another two weeks, it will be even clearer.

If you drill into it, the hospitalisation data was last updated on 3rd, with data from 2nd. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/healthcare?areaType=nation&areaName=England&s=09

Edited by peelyfeet

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Can’t imagine how bad it would be without masks

It'd literally be like Breightmet is now. Take a trip out of your ivory town and look what's going on down there; folk who don't give a fuck and coincidentally the highest infection rates in the entire country (based on current testing procedures). It's not like it's happening on another planet, it's in our own actual town. There for all to see. I've been banging on about it since day 1.

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

It'd literally be like Breightmet is now. Take a trip out of your ivory town and look what's going on down there; folk who don't give a fuck and coincidentally the highest infection rates in the entire country (based on current testing procedures). It's not like it's happening on another planet, it's in our own actual town. There for all to see. I've been banging on about it since day 1.

Now that Breightmet is the hotspot, I presume we've now stopped blaming Muslims, and it's white scutters and peasants now who are responsible for the spread. 😀

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, but the economy is starting to open up again

kids are back in school

you can pretty much do most things you want to - you can't go the match, but you can go the pub or a restaurant, just  not with your mates in some places

you probably shouldn't go on holiday abroad, but you can go somewhere in the UK (also good for the economy)

it's not just us going through this, and it's inevitable now people will lose their jobs

but it would be foolish to just let everyone crack on - look at what happened in Breightmet when folk do their own thing

and whilst a vaccine may still be what, six months, off, well, it's six months off

in any case the economy will still be delicate by the time a vaccine is available regardless of what restrictions are in place

so lets do our best to protect as many people as we can till then rather than crack on

or, just crack on if you* want, see what happens - you'll not be able to prove you're saving the economy anyway, but you certainly could be found to have a caused an outbreak

*not literally you, but in genral

I agree, wholly.

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Now that Breightmet is the hotspot, I presume we've now stopped blaming Muslims, and it's white scutters and peasants now who are responsible for the spread. 😀

Always been about dickheads. Irrespective of colour. Dont suppose you saw the three interviewees on the news in Bolton Town centre yesterday?

Young, ignorant, selfish and frankly fucking stupid. No wonder we're fucked. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Don't remember you pointing that out a couple of weeks ago.

Then you'd be wrong.

It is also true however that for some members of the Asian community, culture meant they were more at risk, and indeed still are.

Ignoring that, as it might be classed as racism would have been hugely costly. Thankfully it wasn't, and resources poured in to stop the rapid rise in cases.

Perhaps refer to Spider's personal example to see the issues exemplified. Religious belief should not supercede medical expertise and science. Its just another example of dickheadery.

Just like the dickheadery of folk either refusing to give details to track and trace or refusing to isolate but go on a pubcrawl, or generally going against the rules designed to protect them.

I think it's fairly obvious, well IMO, that initially there was a problem within Asian communities with the spreading of the virus.  What we are surely seeing now is that from when lockdowns eased and we were allowed to go back to the pub that folk have let their guard down through a combination of naivety and stupidity.