Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
Marc505

Division 4 Memories

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

 

2:08 in, lad at front in Beanie hat - definitely Miami...…...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory of that season will always be the picture in the BEN after Burnley away  (either the League or FA cup game that year) of 3 police panda cars turned upside down on their roof

Casual violence it was the norm then. Scary times looking back

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think it’s back of Farnworth white 1-27, bad grey black jumper fella. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to more aways than home games that season. The atmosphere at Burnden was shite but away it was an absolute riot (often quite literally

Apart from Wrexham the games that stick in the memory are Barnsley in the cup, an absolutely freezing 0-0 at Halifax as mentioned above (iirc the Saturday game was postponed due to fog and rearranged on a miserable midweek night), a horrendous loss at Colchester and beating Stockport away

Probably only went to about 4 home games. Remember Wolves and Burnden being deserted and I prob went at Xmas but no memory of other home games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jeep said:

2:08 in, lad at front in Beanie hat - definitely Miami...…...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
another memory - on the way back from Stockport  - huge Bolton mob/regular fans  (500 plus) walking across Manchester from Piccadillly to Victoria singing Munich songs on a Friday night. The Friday night partygoers on Piccadilly didn't want to know.That would be before the Windsor link across Manchester.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that Where Are They Now article, Gary Henshaw saying we took 8 or 9,000!  There was only about 6,000 on in total.  I honestly think we would have taken more if we'd known we might go up.  I was going to that game genuinely looking forward to the novelty of the play offs, never thought for a minute Torquay would lose at home.  If we'd expected promotion, we'd have taken far more.  And those were the days when tickets werent a thing, everyone just turned up on the day, queued and paid cash.  If the away end was full, tough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I love that Where Are They Now article, Gary Henshaw saying we took 8 or 9,000!  There was only about 6,000 on in total.  I honestly think we would have taken more if we'd known we might go up.  I was going to that game genuinely looking forward to the novelty of the play offs, never thought for a minute Torquay would lose at home.  If we'd expected promotion, we'd have taken far more.  And those were the days when tickets werent a thing, everyone just turned up on the day, queued and paid cash.  If the away end was full, tough.

It was packed on the terrace.

As I posted on here years back, definitely the loudest noise I've ever experienced at a football ground when the goal went in.

A footballing orgasm. Tremendous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember being in a pub in Barnsley in the FA cup tie early doors, had no mither, then coach after coach came past and the locals all went running to the windows, saying " how many are they fucking bringing "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I love that Where Are They Now article, Gary Henshaw saying we took 8 or 9,000!  There was only about 6,000 on in total.  I honestly think we would have taken more if we'd known we might go up.  I was going to that game genuinely looking forward to the novelty of the play offs, never thought for a minute Torquay would lose at home.  If we'd expected promotion, we'd have taken far more.  And those were the days when tickets werent a thing, everyone just turned up on the day, queued and paid cash.  If the away end was full, tough.

I think the novelty of the play offs had long gone out of the window the season before against Aldershot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It was packed on the terrace.

As I posted on here years back, definitely the loudest noise I've ever experienced at a football ground when the goal went in.

A footballing orgasm. Tremendous.

Whenever I see the video of that game I’m amazed at how small that terrace was. The noise was something else. I’m about halfway back behind the left hand goal post. Doesn’t look half as packed out as it felt on the day. Parked up just behind that petrol station behind the away end. Bolton everywhere. When you look at the official attendance you know that’s just wrong. Amazing day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I think the novelty of the play offs had long gone out of the window the season before against Aldershot.

Even though we lost to Aldershot, it still showed the potential of the play offs because it was a cracking atmosphere.  At least 50% extra in our end, and that was for a relegation decider.  Dont forget we were getting 5,000 at best at home, I was looking forward to getting maybe 10,000 for the play offs.  Opposite of now, if we average 11,000 in Div 2 next year and get in play offs, there'll be about 8,000 on because season ticket holders will have to pay on the day.  Virtually no S/T holders last time we were in Div 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Whenever I see the video of that game I’m amazed at how small that terrace was. The noise was something else. I’m about halfway back behind the left hand goal post. Doesn’t look half as packed out as it felt on the day. Parked up just behind that petrol station behind the away end. Bolton everywhere. When you look at the official attendance you know that’s just wrong. Amazing day 

Very close to me then. Behind the nets, maybe slightly to the left, but when the goal went in, we all ended up elsewhere.

I always have to mention the levitating fat bloke, to the side of me.

Took off at around 35 degrees, an anti-aircraft human if you like. Not sure where he came down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Whenever I see the video of that game I’m amazed at how small that terrace was. The noise was something else. I’m about halfway back behind the left hand goal post. Doesn’t look half as packed out as it felt on the day. Parked up just behind that petrol station behind the away end. Bolton everywhere. When you look at the official attendance you know that’s just wrong. Amazing day 

We got to the back of the Away end around 2.45, there was hundreds trying to get in. Copper tells us it's full. Someone says we'll go in their end and he says you won't be allowed in. I thought shit we are going to miss the biggest game of the season. I'm stood next to the big gate that let's everybody out after the match. I thought fuck it let's see if its open, it was and everyone piled in. I don't know how many got in but there was a good few. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought we had a part of the Kop for the Wolves game.

Other side from When we played in the Cup a few years later. Might be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darrener said:

We got to the back of the Away end around 2.45, there was hundreds trying to get in. Copper tells us it's full. Someone says we'll go in their end and he says you won't be allowed in. I thought shit we are going to miss the biggest game of the season. I'm stood next to the big gate that let's everybody out after the match. I thought fuck it let's see if its open, it was and everyone piled in. I don't know how many got in but there was a good few. 

You have my belated thanks for that mate 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

You have my belated thanks for that mate 😁

Nice bumping into you today in Leigh. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Nice bumping into you today in Leigh. 😊

Cheers mate, hope the prescription Viagra works 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Cheers mate, hope the prescription Viagra works 😁

I had an appointment round the corner at the Doc's at 9-30, chemist was busy so went back later, only went for a blood pressure test, she said it's a bit above normal and asked if I was under stress, yes, try watching Bolton this season and not be stressed.😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrexham was a great standout game for me, also the Blackburn away when franky worthy got us promotion. Got there at 10 in the morning and place was full of bolton, set up a massive game of football on some derelict land ,about twenty a side, before the pubs opened, I remember it well cos I scored the winner ! . The day stevie Witt  sang ( many years we’ve hated Blackburn rovers) . It’s what it’s all about ,good times bad times. Thing is now more than ever we need the fans to stay loyal.dont let that bstrd Anderson win ,! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

Wrexham was a great standout game for me, also the Blackburn away when franky worthy got us promotion. Got there at 10 in the morning and place was full of bolton, set up a massive game of football on some derelict land ,about twenty a side, before the pubs opened, I remember it well cos I scored the winner ! . The day stevie Witt  sang ( many years we’ve hated Blackburn rovers) . It’s what it’s all about ,good times bad times. Thing is now more than ever we need the fans to stay loyal.dont let that bstrd Anderson win ,! 

Going in Quiggers pub in Blackburn, winning a fortune at 3 card brag, watching Bolton win promotion, getting arrested at the station, let out of the Police Station at 2-00 am, and forking all your winnings out for a taxi home.😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Going in Quiggers pub in Blackburn, winning a fortune at 3 card brag, watching Bolton win promotion, getting arrested at the station, let out of the Police Station at 2-00 am, and forking all your winnings out for a taxi home.😊

Just like any other weekend for you then 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Just like any other weekend for you then 😂

I live a very sheltered life now. Not.😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A few of us used to go to quiggers pub before Blackburn games,, rum lad he was, 

happy days 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes remember  his pub well - apart from the name - was it Duke of Edinburgh???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.