Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Donny Rovers away

burnden

26 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I thought Fleming was abysmal first half! Got run ragged but that was in part down to having no cover from midfield but there number 7 tore him a new one first 45. 
2nd half he had a much better game. But is far too light weight for me and his delivery at set pieces was horrific. How many times did he fail to beat the first man!!

daryl Murphy must have less steps on his gps tracker after a game than I do at work during my day and I’m generally sat on my arse 

To be fair they were all pretty poor in the first half so I’m basing it entirely on the second. Their number 7 was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Don’t know what was said at half time but the left hand side looked miles better  

Murphy’s anticipation is dreadful. He really should have got himself in to a better position when the ball pretty much just him in the 6 yard box at 2-1. Make any sort of deliberate connection and it was a goal. 

Makes me laugh with this loan we have got as well from Tottenham Anthony Georgiou, what was the point in loaning him for half season if we knew he's injured for 2-3 weeks & will still will need time to get up to speed. I'll stop with my ramblings now I give up 😂

17 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

After playing Bolton this season many opposition fans have commented about the lack of movement and poor fitness levels in Bolton;s players.This is because Bolton didn't have a pre season to get their team fit to league standard.I'm sure the fitness experts on here could explain why if a club doesn't do a pre season their players won't be as fit as other teams.

For it not to happen next season, the majority of players need to be signed by the first week of July when pre season starts.If the club waits till the end of AUgust when players are at their cheapest to sign them expect another season of poor fitness levels

Maybe they are unfit, but Daryl Murphy, O'Grady, Hamilton, Dodoo, Fleming, Bryan and Emmanuel did all have a pre-season.

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

To be fair they were all pretty poor in the first half so I’m basing it entirely on the second. Their number 7 was the best player on the pitch by a mile. Don’t know what was said at half time but the left hand side looked miles better  

Murphy’s anticipation is dreadful. He really should have got himself in to a better position when the ball pretty much just him in the 6 yard box at 2-1. Make any sort of deliberate connection and it was a goal. 

Completely agree with that pal 

I'm not really up for criticising individual players - it is what it is. A collection of "who can we gets" some will be ok some not. But we're going to be shopping in this pool for the forseeable. 

However, the way teams seemingly can score from attacks building from halfway or before - when we have 9 or 10 behind the ball - that's just not right is it? Hill has to take the blame for that. We've such a soft centre - and let teams walk through unchallenged. That's down to the setup/coaching/motivation. We could stop conceding soft goals. We might still struggle to win games but come on this is some Owen Coyle level of defensive organisation shite. If you're soft as shite then the manager and coaches can fix that - make you hard to break down. Its the easiest thing to do - you can't coach goals or chances really - its down to the quality you have available - but as Allardyce once said any group of players can make it hard for the opposition. We make it so so easy. 

1 hour ago, Traf said:

We lose pretty much every away game and we're certainly going down, so please can we lose/go down whilst at least giving the impression we're not just trying to defend a 0-2 scoreline?

He really should have chucked Faal on last night with 15 mins to go. It might have made no difference at all, but if you don't try it, you'll never know. If the lad's not good enough to do it, he shouldn't be on the bench. Speaking of which, the decision to only take 18 players over for a game is a strange one. Something happened to politic between arriving at the ground and the teamsheet going in, leaving us with just 6 subs.

The whole Faal thing is so strange. Wonder if he was brought in by the Moneyball types and this is Hill's not so subtle two fingers up to them imposing signings on him. Or he's just really shit in training 

8 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

The whole Faal thing is so strange. Wonder if he was brought in by the Moneyball types and this is Hill's not so subtle two fingers up to them imposing signings on him. Or he's just really shit in training 

Hill said he was "for the future" so perhaps the thought is he'll have a half season of training to be ready for league 2? Which may be his level anyway?

• Site Supporter

Regarding the six subs, is it KH justifying the club cancelling the home game because the kids aren't allowed two competitive games?

Those players who could have filled the seventh spot already played the night before. 

It would just say to the whinging bastards that we don't just use the EFL rules to our advantage, sometimes we stick to the rules even when it's to our disadvantage. 

Just a thought,  like. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Kane57 said:

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Managers cannot un-shit shit players. We have lots of them.

Most of them are Keith's signings. Why bother if they're that bad?

Why bother with a manager at all if it makes no difference?

Yet other teams seem to be able to play half decent football with a load of players we've not heard of.

No one expected miracles, but some semblance of development and hope for next season wouldn't go amiss.

Oh, and someone talking coherently before and after games would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, Kane57 said:

That's the problem in a nutshell.

Managers cannot un-shit shit players. We have lots of them.

Hmmm - I reckon most of Sheffield United's squad wouldn't get into the rest of top flight sides or even a lot of championship ones. Same with the side Allardyce took up here. Good managers and all that get more out of the collective than the sum of individuals. 

43 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Most of them are Keith's signings. Why bother if they're that bad?

Why bother with a manager at all if it makes no difference?

Yet other teams seem to be able to play half decent football with a load of players we've not heard of.

No one expected miracles, but some semblance of development and hope for next season wouldn't go amiss.

Oh, and someone talking coherently before and after games would be appreciated.

Its doubly frustrating because I’ve seen evidence of him actually getting the team look half decent, organised and playing something resembling a plan of action.

why he’s stopped that is anybody’s guess 

40 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Its doubly frustrating because I’ve seen evidence of him actually getting the team look half decent, organised and playing something resembling a plan of action.

why he’s stopped that is anybody’s guess 

Has he stopped or was it just a case of early over-performance you get in situations like this? Performances and results have got steadily worse from November onwards....

1 minute ago, Walkden White said:

One thing I don’t get is that a centre midfield of Lowe and Murphy who have both played higher should be bossing games at this level but it just never happens against anyone. They can both go for me at the end of the season as nothing tells me they will do it against L2 opposition. 

They are both losers with losing mentality and although Lowe dives in and kicks a couple now and then there is no quality whatsoever. I agree with you they don't deserve another contract

Lowe & Murphy in central midfield should be so much better in this league, but they aren't and that's one of the main reasons why we're doing so bad, not convinced one bit about Ethan Hamilton either, god our midfield is fooking dire at the moment.

• Site Supporter

I think our players are just really shit.

I'm as rose-tinted as the next bloke when needs be, but having watched this scratch team of journeymen and cast-offs, I can only conclude that no manager on earth would make them better.

I'm not defending KH completely, but if I was him I'd just play an 8-1-1 formation next time out for shits and giggles.

The season's gone. And so will 70% of this team be by the time Salford roll into town for the opening fixture of the 20/21 season.

Lighten up.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I think our players are just really shit.

I'm as rose-tinted as the next bloke when needs be, but having watched this scratch team of journeymen and cast-offs, I can only conclude that no manager on earth would make them better.

I'm not defending KH completely, but if I was him I'd just play an 8-1-1 formation next time out for shits and giggles.

The season's gone. And so will 70% of this team be by the time Salford roll into town for the opening fixture of the 20/21 season.

Lighten up.

Or play 1-1-8 and go for it !

20 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Different side 2nd half and actually had some fight and grit. That said we are fucking awful. It’s the slowest football side I’ve ever seen in all my days. Like they are running in treacle. 

why he didn’t shove faal on at the end is anybody’s guess.
They were shite. Shite fans shite team shitehole. 

I think last night's team was probably the slowest in memory, and I've watched Keith Andrews and Andy Taylor, but the pace and speed of thought would be increased massively by the return of 3 injured players - Crawford, Darcy and Politic.  Plus the Spurs winger.  So not necessarily a reflection of the team generally, last year was slower with the likes of Connolly, Wilson, Grounds, McGennis. 

12 hours ago, Okocha10 said:

Makes me laugh with this loan we have got as well from Tottenham Anthony Georgiou, what was the point in loaning him for half season if we knew he's injured for 2-3 weeks & will still will need time to get up to speed. I'll stop with my ramblings now I give up 😂

If there's no other option, and its at virtually no cost to us, and every other club has turned him down because he's injured, what is there to lose?  He might play 6 games for us, and we never see him again.  Or he makes a bit of an impression, enjoys his time here, and wants to come back next season.  Nothing to lose.